Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elements vs Lightroom vs The GIMP?

Photography Exp
    Beginner
    Photoshop Exp
    Beginner
    Can we edit your images ?
    Yes

Elements vs Lightroom vs The GIMP?

(I seem to be doing a lot of A vs B vs C posts these days)

Hi guys - newb question again! Thanks in advance.

I currently use The GIMP which is great and of course the price is right! The only downside is that it isn't as widely used among the tutorials and forums I've been reading... meaning generally when learning new techniques I have to sort of guess at a few of the steps to achieve a similar result. Also, being a newbie and a big fat cheater, I would like to steal actions off other people until such time as I am able to learn the techniques a little more in-depth... and some of the GIMP scripts/plug-ins I have used just don't seem to be hitting the mark.

That said, I cannot afford full CS4 and do not want to pirate the software, which leaves me with Elements or Lightroom.

Has anyone got experience using all three? What would I lose from switching from GIMP to one of these lighter versions of Photoshop? What would I gain overall? Do they have RAW editors? Is it worth spending the money?

Thanks.

Photography Exp
    Beginner
    Photoshop Exp
    Beginner
    Yes
    I myself use elements 7 it does exactly what i want it for which i admit isnt much but i have had some nice results from it, i have seen some very spectacular things from lightroom it might be worth downloading trials for teh two and see which you get on with.
    Dazzler.

Photography Exp
    Advanced
    Photoshop Exp
    Advanced
    Yes
    GIMP and Elements are photo editors... Lightroom is a complete workflow system and is geared towards working with RAW files... they are totally different types of applications.
    Stew

Stewart Clarke Photography | Weddings & Portraits | Blog | Facebook - followers welcome!

Photography Exp
    Intermediate
    Photoshop Exp
    Intermediate
    Yes
    I would say Elements, but with one caveat.
    Elements I'm sure (Sean will correct me if wrong) is less straightforward for using full Photoshop scripts on.
    I think it can run them, but with a fudge.

Photography Exp
    Advanced
    Photoshop Exp
    Intermediate
    Yes
    As tenchy said, it can be a kludge to run the scripts, some aren't supported, and some plugins aren't either.

I don't know about the actions from PS to Elements, yet... But give me an hour to get on a machine that has Elements and I'll let you know.

Photography Exp
    Intermediate
    Photoshop Exp
    Intermediate
    Yes

Photography Exp
    Beginner
    Photoshop Exp
    Beginner
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewcp View Post
    GIMP and Elements are photo editors... Lightroom is a complete workflow system and is geared towards working with RAW files... they are totally different types of applications.
    I certainly want to make the switch to shooting in RAW but would that be too advanced for me right now? Am I trying to run before I can walk?

Photography Exp
    Advanced
    Photoshop Exp
    Advanced
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by JabberwockJess View Post
    I certainly want to make the switch to shooting in RAW but would that be too advanced for me right now? Am I trying to run before I can walk?
    Not really... if thats the direction you see yourself going, then its no bad thing... LR isn't difficult to use, as with all things, you just need to know how it works and what does what... also you won't benefit from LR if you're just processing single images... its aimed as mass processing... I would suggest downloading a trial version of 2.6 (not the lasted LR3 beta) and see what you think before handing over your money to Adobe!
    Stew

Stewart Clarke Photography | Weddings & Portraits | Blog | Facebook - followers welcome!