• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

South African Safari with a bridge camera!

Activ8

I made the 1,000,000 th post
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Just returned from an African Safari and took my RX10 IV as my main camera... Space was limited so I really didn't want to take anything big. However... this little bridge cam performed remarkably well given the challenging light conditions... (early morning, midday sun, animals walking from shade to harsh light). Here are a few from the many hundred!

DSC05878.jpgDSC06474.jpgDSC07080.jpgDSC07016.jpgDSC04273.jpgDSC04047.jpgDSC04731.jpgDSC03835.jpgDSC03684.jpg

Last edited:

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Great results with the last being my pick, a lot of photographers trash the Bridge Camera but I am on my third now and have some wonderful results, even winning image of the year on here ... :D:cool:

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Some great shots!

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Nice set, the best camera is the one you have on hand and the RX10 IV is a pretty capable beast by all accounts. Love the elephant sunset shot and the lion in #3, he looks very peckish and has possibly just spotted dinner.

breeliz

Old Hand
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I love all of them.

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Excellent set

Activ8

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Nice set, the best camera is the one you have on hand and the RX10 IV is a pretty capable beast by all accounts. Love the elephant sunset shot and the lion in #3, he looks very peckish and has possibly just spotted dinner.
In fact if you look closely he still has blood on his head from killing a zebra moments before I arrived... He was coming over to protect his kill!

Pteranadon

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Very nice selection, I cannot pick just one!

Tony Mancini

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
VERY nice set :clapping:
Really like the sunset shot :thumbsup:

Ogofmole

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
These cameras can still produce good images as you have proven.

winchestergoose

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Please excuse my ignorance but what is a ''Bridge Camera'', may be I have one? Does it ''Bridge ''several functions?

Ozzie_Traveller

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Please excuse my ignorance but what is a ''Bridge Camera'', may be I have one? Does it ''Bridge ''several functions?
G'day mate
The superzoom cameras ... ie: fixed lens, =>10x zoom jobs ... that have been around for many years are now being dubbed "Bridge" cameras as an advertiser's dream that users will perhaps jump to a 'real' camera being an interchangeable-lensed camera of some sort

However, we users who have and love the superzoom cameras are probably unlikely to ever go to an interchangeable-lens camera as these cameras out-perform most dSLRs anyway [i'm not biased at all !!!!!!!!!!!!!]

My Panasonic FZ superzoom cameras will do me for many years to come :)

Hope this helps
Phil

Ozzie_Traveller

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Just returned from an African Safari and took my RX10 IV as my main camera... Space was limited so I really didn't want to take anything big. However... this little bridge cam performed remarkably well given the challenging light conditions... (early morning, midday sun, animals waling from shade to harsh light). Here are a few from the many hundred!
G'day mate

Your pics are a delight to view and I hope they give you many years of enjoyment

They also mirror many that my other-half brought home several years ago from a similar 21-day African safari .... she using her Panasonic FZ- superzoom camera. She was often rolling the zoom out to its max of 600mm FF equivalent, and her pics soon became a damn-good A4-sized coffee table book of her time over there

She also commented that each night when others aboard her safari tour were reviewing their pics - them using dSLRs with 150-600's on big heavy tripods - their results were just as clear and sharp as hers seemed to be.
[ps- no need here for others to talk about sensor sizes and resolution ... we know all about that side of things]

Phil

winchestergoose

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
G'day mate
The superzoom cameras ... ie: fixed lens, =>10x zoom jobs ... that have been around for many years are now being dubbed "Bridge" cameras as an advertiser's dream that users will perhaps jump to a 'real' camera being an interchangeable-lensed camera of some sort

However, we users who have and love the superzoom cameras are probably unlikely to ever go to an interchangeable-lens camera as these cameras out-perform most dSLRs anyway [i'm not biased at all !!!!!!!!!!!!!]

My Panasonic FZ superzoom cameras will do me for many years to come :)

Hope this helps
Phil
Welll sort of ,thanks anyway!

Activ8

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Bridge Cameras do have their limitations... too well at lease the Sony one does. Whilst the 1" sensor on the Sony can give wonderful images matching most DSLR's up to about A3 size printing in most lights with the quality of the lens is outstanding at all focal lengths... The electronic zoom makes it difficult to track and frame a moving animal whilst trying to keep the same FOV. Also on the Sony you cannot zoom and shoot at the same time so it feels very on/off. Although the focus is very fast and accurate that it compensates. Once you get used to the quirks of the camera then it is a very capable machine. I also have A Lumix G9 which is a small M43 and even with its 100-400mm (200-800) it is nearly twice the weight of the Sony Rx10 and I would have need a second body for the 24-100 bit as you cannot change lenses when outside as it is so dusty! If I had taken my Sony A7riv with its 200-600mm GM then the weight would have quadrupled and the pictures would not be that much better for the given use!

Pete.Bony

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
There is a lot to be said for some of the bridge cameras on the market nowadays. I have 2, a Canon SX50HS and just recently I got hold of an old Fuji Finepix S9280 which I found in a Salvation Army Charity Shop for just £10.00. I paid an extra £8.00(ish) for a descent memory card and found that it takes some quite acceptable photos, certainly for a camera that cost just £18.00 in total! - The only thing that I can fault on the S9280 is that it eats AA Batteries if you use cheap ones however Duracels seem to do OK in it.
OK the bridge cameras might not give you as much control as a DSLRs will but if you need to travel light then (In my opinion) a bridge camera is well worth thinking about!
The photos that Activ8 has posted just prove the point, they really are stunning, so much so that I can not pick a favourite!
A fabulous set of images!:)

Last edited:

Taboo

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Gerat set! Closer to some of those lions than I'd want to get though :oops:

David_MC

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Beautiful set. Looks like your choice of camera didn't hinder you at all.

imagesBV

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Super shots....the camera choice appears to be ideal for this application ...I’m sure there were dSLR users who were envious

Ozzie_Traveller

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
There is a lot to be said for some of the bridge cameras on the market nowadays. ..... - The only thing that I can fault on the S9280 is that it eats AA Batteries if you use cheap ones however Duracels seem to do OK in it. ....A fabulous set of images!:)
G'day mate

We also use AA batteries in many of our household / motorhome stuff so bought 2x 8-packs of Sony Eneloop, 2000mAh batteries some years ago
We already had a charger from Tandy / Radio Shack Electronics - so we have 12 in use and 4 sitting in the charger
Great performance ~ dramatically better than 'energizer' batteries

Hope this helps
Phil

Pete.Bony

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
G'day mate

We also use AA batteries in many of our household / motorhome stuff so bought 2x 8-packs of Sony Eneloop, 2000mAh batteries some years ago
We already had a charger from Tandy / Radio Shack Electronics - so we have 12 in use and 4 sitting in the charger
Great performance ~ dramatically better than 'energizer' batteries

Hope this helps
Phil
Because I like the Fuji S9280 I am already thinking about getting some rechargeable AA batteries and a charger for it. Out of interest, what type of rechargeable AA batteries do members think are the best to use for cameras please?

Ozzie_Traveller

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
G'day Pete

Battery brand names will vary around the world ~ but there seems universal negative reports about a big-brand-name's 'energizer' batteries

Phil

bwana

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Just returned from an African Safari and took my RX10 IV as my main camera... Space was limited so I really didn't want to take anything big. However... this little bridge cam performed remarkably well given the challenging light conditions... (early morning, midday sun, animals walking from shade to harsh light). Here are a few from the many hundred!

View attachment 311117View attachment 311118View attachment 311119View attachment 311120View attachment 311121View attachment 311122View attachment 311123View attachment 311124View attachment 311125
Great suite of pix! I've owned the RX10 III and now have a RX10 IV; wonderful grab 'n go camera.

bwa