• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

The Stuck In Isolation Random Chatter Thread

Hatter

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
It's now over 4 weeks since I left the house.
I'm fit & well, but one of the drugs keeping me fit & well is an immunosuppressant that drops me into the "high risk" category, which means I have a potentially much longer confinement. Fortunately, I can work from home and my employer has been really good about allowing the vast majority of staff to do that. After some initial concerns, we now seem to be able to get regular supermarket deliveries.
We've managed to keep the local camera club going via video conferencing but I don't think I'm going to be taking many photos for a while.

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I have seen many people, including people I know, say they had all the symptoms of COVID-19 before it was supposed to have reached here. Now, other things produce the same, I know, but there have been a lot. So maybe it was or there is also something else going around that seems the same.
We fall in that category. Last of January, DW and I both had severe cough, fatigue and slight fever off and on. I managed to shake mine after a couple weeks, but DW couldn't, she has a compromised immune system. When her fever got more concerning doctor diagnosed as viral respiratory infection, said there was a lot of it going around, prescribed a Z-pack (Arithromyicin) which cleared her up.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
We fall in that category. Last of January, DW and I both had severe cough, fatigue and slight fever off and on. I managed to shake mine after a couple weeks, but DW couldn't, she has a compromised immune system. When her fever got more concerning doctor diagnosed as viral respiratory infection, said there was a lot of it going around, prescribed a Z-pack (Arithromyicin) which cleared her up.
That is exactly what I have seen so many post.

Also, this man: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52333127 better get a damned knighthood before he dies. The 99 year old Tom Moore has raised 23M GBP for the NHS.

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
We've been spending our time cooking up a storm as well as doing the whole hairdresser thing at home, since everything out there is closed.

Cath Head Shot 08.JPG

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I really hope captain Tom gets his knighthood. Even better if on his birthday.

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Now I know what to do with those old jeans. :grin:
93409504_709666503134711_5373515660850626560_o.jpg

Ramble Vision

Mountain Climber
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Today marks the longest I have been off work since I started working at 16. I'm finding it really strange, like even though I have nothing to do, I feel like I should be doing something. Any one else getting this?

Im fill-in my time by working on my music, which is helping with giving me something to focus on, but even doing this I still feel I should be doing something :)

Jannyfox

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
I'm finding it really strange, like even though I have nothing to do, I feel like I should be doing something. Any one else getting this?
It's perfectly normal. I've been retired three years and I still feel like this, and even more so now. In a weird way I wish I was still working because the job I'd be doing now I could do from home.

Taboo

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Today marks the longest I have been off work since I started working at 16. I'm finding it really strange, like even though I have nothing to do, I feel like I should be doing something. Any one else getting this?

Im fill-in my time by working on my music, which is helping with giving me something to focus on, but even doing this I still feel I should be doing something :)
I think anyone who retires feels exactly that! You can’t just work all your life and suddenly stop :oops:. It’s important to have outside Interests and photography fits the bill nicely.:grin:

Ramble Vision

Mountain Climber
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
It's perfectly normal. I've been retired three years and I still feel like this, and even more so now. In a weird way I wish I was still working because the job I'd be doing now I could do from home.
I did wonder if this is what being retired feels like :)

I think anyone who retires feels exactly that! You can’t just work all your life and suddenly stop :oops:. It’s important to have outside Interests and photography fits the bill nicely.:grin:
I was planning on getting back into my photography this spring as well :) I guess my return will need to be wait a little longer.

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Well I am at home and trying to do some macro photography the past few days, lovely and bright but the strong breeze is putting paid to this :rolleyes:

Ramble Vision

Mountain Climber
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Well I am at home and trying to do some macro photography the past few days, lovely and bright but the strong breeze is putting paid to this :rolleyes:
it wouldn't be outdoor photography if the weather wasn't giving you trouble :)

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I am working from home. However, I did just spend about 30 minutes watching videos of a guy clearing debris from storm drains on Youtube. Actually quite satisfying.

Ramble Vision

Mountain Climber
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
I am working from home. However, I did just spend about 30 minutes watching videos of a guy clearing debris from storm drains on Youtube. Actually quite satisfying.
I love some of the random black holes YouTube can suck you into

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
In town today, stopped by our local Craft Brew - Back Forty Beer. Since the lockdown sales obviously off, so they bought a still and pivoted. They're making high proof hand sanitizer. This is some high quality corn liquor they're making. Smells so good it makes me want to lick my fingers after I rub it on my hands, before it evaporates.
40650.jpeg

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Some distilleries and breweries here have done the same thing. One of them was making it just for health care workers and not charging them.

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Some distilleries and breweries here have done the same tghing. One of them was making it just for health care workers and not charging them.
Some here doing the same, not sure if this one is. They're charging everyone else though, at $10 per 12oz bottle that works out to around $107/gallon. Still I'd rather give it to them, then some Chinese outfit.

paulmag

Always on
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Ok I've lost count of how many weeks have been at home I'm not a gardener when I've taken it upon myself to get rid of all the dandelions in our garden is it reasonably big and every day the things keep coming up one of us is going to win and it's not them I may have to revert to chemical Solutions and an employed gardener

Ramble Vision

Mountain Climber
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Ok I've lost count of how many weeks have been at home I'm not a gardener when I've taken it upon myself to get rid of all the dandelions in our garden is it reasonably big and every day the things keep coming up one of us is going to win and it's not them I may have to revert to chemical Solutions and an employed gardener
lol i have been playing the same game with my dandelions. its never ending. :)

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
A few years ago, they changed the rules on what chemicals we can buy and use for this sort of thing. So for most weeds now it is just rust. Yes, iron rust in water as a solution. It does work for dandelions if you get enough on them, but not other weeds. There is also corn (maize) based weed killer that you spread like fertilizer (often mixed with it as "weed and feed").

Even at golf courses, they are not allowed to have the old chemicals unless they have someone on staff that has taken a training course. This is to use the same stuff we used for decades. At first they were exempt and I would get some from my brother, but they changed the rules later. Admittedly, golf courses were some of the largest chemical polluters to rivers and streams because they used so much. I guess that is why there is the training course.

I however have family by marriage that live in Michigan where they do not have these rules and so I get my supply of the same sort of stuff we used to have that way.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
What I do with Dandelions is use salt. When the weather is dry, rip the tops of the plant up and then drop a palm full of bog standard table salt on them; takes a while, may need repetition but the salt leeches down and then in through the roots.

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
lol i have been playing the same game with my dandelions. its never ending. :)
Concrete may be your solution :)

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I leave the dandelions alone until the heat of July. In the Spring, the dandelions are the first source of food available for Bees, Butterflies and Hummingbirds.

Ramble Vision

Mountain Climber
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
I leave the dandelions alone until the heat of July. In the Spring, the dandelions are the first source of food available for Bees, Butterflies and Hummingbirds.
nice one roger, didn't think of it like that! I guess I don't need to any gardening any more..... Happy Days :D