• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

The Stuck In Isolation Random Chatter Thread

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I leave the dandelions alone until the heat of July. In the Spring, the dandelions are the first source of food available for Bees, Butterflies and Hummingbirds.
Damn hippie tree huggers ;)

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
My wife has reported that is has been 42 days now sine she wore real pants (trousers for you UK people).

BrianS

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
I think anyone who retires feels exactly that! You can’t just work all your life and suddenly stop :oops:. It’s important to have outside Interests and photography fits the bill nicely.:grin:
My wife and I are both working at home. Nice to get paid for doing something I love, and that gets used.
I put in more than 40/wk, but more breaks since I can go up to my home office and work whenever I want. Have not taken a "full-day" off in over two weeks.

BUT- decided that retirement would be too much of just taking a big, long break- and I just can't do it. I could have retired last July.

If the sun is out, grab a camera and lens and take a walk. In a rural neighborhood, "Social Distancing" plus some nice scenery.

1934 5cm F2 Sonnar, Wide-Open by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
My wife has reported that is has been 42 days now sine she wore real pants (trousers for you UK people).
LOL, I imagine there are many that way during the lockdown. If you can't go anywhere, and you don't see anybody for days, does it matter?

DW and I did get dressed today to go to Wally World. Needed bark for the flower beds. Completely drive through. Pulled into the garden section on the parking lot, told them what I wanted, they loaded my truck, pulled up to the chk out station handed them my card, they gave me a receipt, we pulled away. Kinda felt like putting pants on was wasted effort. My dually sits up so high they couldn't see in anyhow. :grin:

Taboo

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
I thought the wife always wore the pants in the family Itd 3d Ani W60 Smiles 043

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I thought the wife always wore the pants in the family Itd 3d Ani W60 Smiles 043
Anyone married knows that is true. I did put jeans on Thursday for a couple of hours.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Just had the weekly briefing that (hopefully) from next Saturday folk will be able to get out for a bit and do some exercise in the area. Now that's been announced I'm off to annoy the town hall to get an extended pass (don't really need to apply for one but it's better doing it right instead of not) as there's a couple of photography related things I want to do around the area relating (or benefitting) from the current situation.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Just had the weekly briefing that (hopefully) from next Saturday folk will be able to get out for a bit and do some exercise in the area. Now that's been announced I'm off to annoy the town hall to get an extended pass (don't really need to apply for one but it's better doing it right instead of not) as there's a couple of photography related things I want to do around the area relating (or benefitting) from the current situation.
We have been told the whole time that we can go out for walks, runs, bike rides, as long as we are only with people we live with and anyone else are are 2 metres apart (or 1 hockey stick, or 1 moose, or 3 Canada geese, etc as the various signs say). Yesterday I had to force the rest of the family to go out with me for a walk.

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Well I'm on the last and biggest job on the DIY list. Btw that list is my wife's list that she created, not mine I should add :). The last job is replacing the wood around our garage. Had four 15ft pretreated lengths of wood delivered a while back, now just pre painting it before ripping the old wood off, and fitting the new wood ( undercoating then black gloss).It is actually an easier task than I thought, once I had rearranged the garage to do the painting. I think my wife has forgotten putting the wood up it is a two man job, my eldest daughter's partner was going to come around (before covid) to help. My wife will now have to deputise, when I've plucked up the courage to mention it

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
There's several items on my to do list, and this is actually a good time to tackle them, but getting motivated is hard, plus the muscles, and back are complaining loudly. About 3 to 4 hrs is all I'm holding up. We have a large wrap around deck on three sides of the house. Started out just replacing the bad boards, ended up replacing all of the flooring on the front side, where it gets the most sun, and about half of the end. Still have some more flooring repairs, and several railing repairs, before I can stain it.

Skyshot

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
It's certainly an easier way to save money by staying home:
  • Can't use the car or minibus - no fuel costs.
  • Only use indoor wheelchair - less recharging - lower electricity bill.
  • Pubs and clubs are closed - now only drink at supermarket prices.
  • No relatives calling - saving a fortune by not buying wine, biscuits, tea, coffee.
  • No women callers - saving a shedload on loo rolls.
  • Hardly using my camera, so savings on my GAS bill.
I'm sure I can think of more . . .

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
We have been told the whole time that we can go out for walks, runs, bike rides, as long as we are only with people we live with and anyone else are are 2 metres apart (or 1 hockey stick, or 1 moose, or 3 Canada geese, etc as the various signs say). Yesterday I had to force the rest of the family to go out with me for a walk.
Lucky devil; what happened here was that when the first round of social distancing came in, people were too busy being social and scooting off up the mountains or to the beach to actually heed the distancing part of it, so they locked everyone up. Whilst the news has been banging on about Italy having the lockdown they had, they have had some leeway with theirs that we have not had here. Then still you needed a government paper to do anything.
The bad thing of it, is that it's backfiring a bit now; there's folk who had ailments that have been intensified or untreated because they have not been able to go out, I don't know what figures it is outside of the local health authority but in the local hospital the higher proportion of folk in there at the moment are not infected by the virus but affected because of the management of the population because of the virus. The other, sadder thing is with what it's caused, is that because people haven't been out, they have not been missed; had a few of them but I don't think that will be fully apparent until the late spring/early summer arrives and brings the flies and temperatures.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Lucky devil;
They did have to close all parking lots and playground equipment in parks. People were told not to use them, but were anyway. So they blocked them off, put locks on, etc.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
They did have to close all parking lots and playground equipment in parks. People were told not to use them, but were anyway. So they blocked them off, put locks on, etc.
Same here with the play equipment, as it'd be quite difficult to explain otherwise to a youngster why they can't go on the swing (or some of their parents are so daft that they think the diet of organic vegetables and what their yoga teacher says will protect their kids from this); as for the parking, I think that it may have happened though in the parks that are away from civilisation just so the parents of kids don't use the excuse of being able to take their kids out for some air as a reason to drive off up to the mountains or down to the beach. As it is at the moment, the kids aren't allowed to be out for more than an hour and no more than 1km from home, but as we both know there are some parents who if it is beneficial to them can't comprehend what an hour nor a kilometre is.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
My wife's parents are up at the lake, against the word of the Ontario government here. My father in law is not happy that the marina said they cannot work on the boat and get it ready and put it in the water. Marinas are a nonessential service and are not working. He called it a conspiracy of the local mayors up there to keep cottagers (the term for seasonal people visiting) away. Well, yes, they told everyone NOT to do what he is doing because the small towns do not have a medical resources to handle all the extra people that might be or get sick.

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Ok I've lost count of how many weeks have been at home I'm not a gardener when I've taken it upon myself to get rid of all the dandelions in our garden is it reasonably big and every day the things keep coming up one of us is going to win and it's not them I may have to revert to chemical Solutions and an employed gardener
they will gradually decline. I used to put a spade in below the leaf mass and chop them off at an angle just below the surface (as you will have found they can't usually be pulled out unless ground is soft.

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
busy day today! As we did our bike ride Friday we weren't going out today for our permitted excercise.
So initially planned to fill in the missing mortar in the crazy paving, loosened by weather then power washed out. But seems we only got mortar colouring, no actual mortar.
So instead we painted the gate with wood treatment (must go after posting and close it, and hope it's dried enough to be able to open it again!)
I sat at the radio working stations around the world on 20m using a digital mode. This is the PC connected to the radio and it's quite family friendly as it's silent here (well Ihave the volume right down as not needed) rather than me shouting for people on SSB. Whilst doing that I was sanding smooth some nylon rope thimbles so they had no sharp edges.
I then went outside and made brand new guy ropes for my car portable setup to replace the ex army ones I am using. I bought these from an amrny surpluss store in the very early 90s! Don't know how old they were then!
Now packed away my inverted V dipole before the rains come and picked the IOTW.
Time to switch off, close tha painted gate and watch some TV with Rachy.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
My wife decided to paint the kitchen yesterday. Since she plans to go with a much lighter colour, she put on some primer first. In just a couple of hours things look so different. Since her and I are working we do not have that much extra time, except for commute times spent not going into the office.
BTW, I am getting about a month to the gallon on fuel usage :)

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
BTW, I am getting about a month to the gallon on fuel usage :)
It sounds like you'll get about a month to the gallon with the paint cans, too.

old silverback

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I teach in an University, going on teaching but from home, online with Microsoft TEAMS, not ideal both for me and for students, but we must come to terms with it. Living in a flat not much chances to take photos for now.

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I've dug out and restrung my acoustic to while away some time trying to remember how to play anything at all.

Ramble Vision

Mountain Climber
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
I've dug out and restrung my acoustic to while away some time trying to remember how to play anything at all.
good stuff, i have been hammering out terrible tunes on the keys since the lockdown. Loving every minute (which is probably more then the neighbours can say :) )

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Surprisingly, I've only managed to get about two hours on the bass since this whole shebang started here; I can't wait for this to relax some so I can get some calm order back in to things. When this is all done I'm going to have to remember how to play that beast.

Ramble Vision

Mountain Climber
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Surprisingly, I've only managed to get about two hours on the bass since this whole shebang started here; I can't wait for this to relax some so I can get some calm order back in to things. When this is all done I'm going to have to remember how to play that beast.
If in doubt there’s always ‘drop d’ tuning ;)

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
If in doubt there’s always ‘drop d’ tuning ;)
Man, don't talk about tunings to me... They don't even translate from English to Catalan/Spanish (method is completely different, but what do you expect when the local alphabet has three letters that sound "E" and two that sound "B").

One thing I did get round to during this mess was rebuild the electronics on the ATK300, the Ibanez boards of that era aren't bad but have a nasty habit of high frequency noise and the amps could be a bit nasal, not something that you could record and be happy with if you were a bit picky; so rebuilt the power stage, swapped the caps out with better/newer and swapped the JRC4585s amps to TL072s (closer to what you'd find in a HiFi). Battery only lasts about 20 hours now compared to about 50 before but now EQ'd flat with no processing it makes the more expensive Fenders I have seem a bit wooly and lifeless.