• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

The Stuck In Isolation Random Chatter Thread

Pteranadon

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Speaking of dandelions.... I recall as a child one summer...
If kept up on pulling them all summer, I would recieve a new bicycle at the end of the summer.
Somehow, it was convinced to my parents a bicycle would be enjoyed during the summer.

Ramble Vision

Mountain Climber
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Man, don't talk about tunings to me... They don't even translate from English to Catalan/Spanish (method is completely different, but what do you expect when the local alphabet has three letters that sound "E" and two that sound "B").

One thing I did get round to during this mess was rebuild the electronics on the ATK300, the Ibanez boards of that era aren't bad but have a nasty habit of high frequency noise and the amps could be a bit nasal, not something that you could record and be happy with if you were a bit picky; so rebuilt the power stage, swapped the caps out with better/newer and swapped the JRC4585s amps to TL072s (closer to what you'd find in a HiFi). Battery only lasts about 20 hours now compared to about 50 before but now EQ'd flat with no processing it makes the more expensive Fenders I have seem a bit wooly and lifeless.
Cool sounds interesting. You will have to send me some wavs. When you record it so I can have a listen (and erm sneak them into my sampler :) )

My bass is still gathering dust. I was going to take some time out to learn it again but the keys won out as that’s what I do most my writing on at the computer, so I’m focusing on getting good at them instead

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Cool sounds interesting. You will have to send me some wavs. When you record it so I can have a listen (and erm sneak them into my sampler :) )
Don't know how long it'll be before I get round to getting back in to it properly; next couple of weeks it's going to be possible to get back out there and not only is there a lot of backlog on the work, the side gig is bonkers, then it's also storm season and also the deferred treatment on a few things that have got to be caught up with. Best guess to being able to do anything in anger will perhaps be Autumn now, perhaps even later.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
To my wife: "I would like help with a photography idea, I plan to use colour and need the lightest hair, that is you." "I will need you to put makeup on, that is part of it."
Wife: "Sounds like too much work."

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Right now, I am working, but listening to a radio station online from Folkestone, Kent playing an 80's show and one of the DJs is the cousin to the best man at my wedding. That is why I have it on, he posted on Facebook.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The government let people out yesterday for the first time in 50 days, though with a lot of caveats. Depending on population different restrictions come in to play like time slots, how long you can be out, how far you can go. In towns of over 5,000 people the time tables are quite restrictive and depending on the activity people are limited to either a 1km radius if just off for a stroll or the municipal boundary which there are a lot of places that the boundary is less than 1km radius if doing serious exercise.
It's one of them times I'm happy to live in a village that has a population of less than 4,000 and would take three days to complete a lap of the municipal boundary.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The government let people out yesterday for the first time in 50 days, though with a lot of caveats. Depending on population different restrictions come in to play like time slots, how long you can be out, how far you can go. In towns of over 5,000 people the time tables are quite restrictive and depending on the activity people are limited to either a 1km radius if just off for a stroll or the municipal boundary which there are a lot of places that the boundary is less than 1km radius if doing serious exercise.
It's one of them times I'm happy to live in a village that has a population of less than 4,000 and would take three days to complete a lap of the municipal boundary.
So, if you were doing drill, it would be just like being in the military having a rule for everything. :)

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
So, if you were doing drill, it would be just like being in the military having a rule for everything. :)
Nah, bit different Don; we're allowed to use our own initiative on it, instead of being told how to do it by someone who read the instructions in a book at cake-eater school.

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
My daughter whilst being furloughed has started to grow vegetables (with my encouragement). A few weeks back when she started, her walk in greenhouse with all the seeds she was growing overturned in the wind, with her losing the lot and having to start again. At the time, I did give her the 'fatherly' advice of making sure it was really secured to avoid recurrence.
Now, guess what happened to my own greenhouse yesterday, it was a bit windy here :)
Fortunately I didn't lose that much. My daughter was sympathetic but at the same time was also amused :)

As an aside, my daughter and her partner both are chefs in a restaurant. The rumoured news yesterday that restaurants might not open until December is unsettling for them both. I can see lots of restaurants going under myself.

Last edited:

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I can see lots of restaurants going under myself.
It's already happening here, I know of quite a few bars and restaurants that are not going to re-open after all this. Whilst it'll be possible for them to re-open the outdoor seating areas up to 50% occupancy from the start of "Phase 1" (meant to be next week) a lot of places have decided to stay closed in the short term because the running costs of opening would be greater than what the places are currently losing. Same with hotels, gyms, and what-a-not, even under the phased draw-down of the confinement until some of these places can guarantee an occupancy rate of about 60% then it's not worth them turning the lights on.

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

Ozzie_Traveller

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
G'day all

Just looked into this thread for the first time - and smiled at some of the responses / haircuts / windy day experiences :)

In my part of eastern Oz, on the coast and some 350km north of Sydney we have what I will call "a selection of restrictions" that are flexible to some degree. Yes- we are in household so-called lockdown, but we are allowed out at any time for 'short term exercise / essential shopping / medical appointments' and so on ~ but not much more

I can walk along the beach for a kilometre or so 'for exercise', I can walk or drive to the local shops 'for essential food shopping' ... but wandering around with camera and haphazardly taking photos might just draw attention of the ever-wandering blue-and-white striped cars

My spouse is 8-months into a 12-month cancer treatment regime - surgery + chemo + radiation treatment etc, and yesterday we drove 120km north to a new / larger cancer treatment centre. We were only one of hundreds of vehicles on the roads - heaps of delivery trucks, many cars going places, but no caravans on holidays. We are home again for the weekend - and then back here each week for the next 3 weeks.

I suppose that it means that the authorities are somewhat relaxed about out-of-big-city-travel so long as no c-19 outbreaks come along to cause them more anguish

Phil

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
My spouse is 8-months into a 12-month cancer treatment regime - surgery + chemo + radiation treatment etc, and yesterday we drove 120km north to a new / larger cancer treatment centre. We were only one of hundreds of vehicles on the roads - heaps of delivery trucks, many cars going places, but no caravans on holidays. We are home again for the weekend - and then back here each week for the next 3 weeks.
Know the struggle. DW is on a once a month infusion, and 3 week on 1 week off oral chemo, so her immune system is all over the place. One of the things she gets each month is an IVIG infusion to boost her immunity, but since last fall there's been a shortage, so she's not been getting the full dose. Here the Flu hit around us hard toward the end of December, so we've been on self imposed isolation for the most part since then anyhow, but no complaints still better then the alternative.

Ramble Vision

Mountain Climber
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
So the UK government have said they are extending the Furlough period until the end of October. Don't get me wrong, its good news, its keeping a roof over my head for the time being as im sure it is for many. but yeah starting to get a bit cheesed off with it now. I really want to get back to work now. The prospect of another 4 months at home a bit meh (but yeah I realise there folk for worse off then me, so this moan is curly from my perspective. )

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Spent some time out the back of work the last couple of days, so instead of me being sat round twiddling the thumbs waiting for a run and getting paid for it I've been working on what maintenance has been deferred for the last two months. It's a right mess, but the big old poop machine of a guard dog (he's a Bernese, so practically useless) is happy as he's got his tame ball thrower back.

balami

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
good stuff, i have been hammering out terrible tunes on the keys since the lockdown. Loving every minute (which is probably more then the neighbours can say :) )
I'm a big Keane fan and Tim (their songwriter and composer extraordinaire) has put up a couple of vids in lock-down, on how to play some of their songs. This is great:

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Managed to get out to play with a thunderstorm yesterday, quite happy with the rig as I've done some mods on it over winter; but I found a nice stress fracture in the clamp plate which in turn took me to Amazon and for what should have been a 15€ part cost me nearly 150 (they'd got a special on certain ball heads, nodals and L-brackets).

Starting tomorrow around here, some of the confinement rules are being relaxed, so shops are going to be able to open as well as bars being able to serve public if they have outdoor seating areas; some areas aren't allowed yet as it's being phased by regional health authority. Also normal funerals can restart with people being present, and churches can reopen with a 30% capacity (and because they can't accept collection, there's a lot installing contactless payment). With that, the in-laws stated that when it hits the next level (travel within province) that they are going to be coming to stay for some time to be able to get out of the city; which didn't go down well with anyone.