1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

10 Stopper Help please

Discussion in 'Photography Chat Forum' started by Paul K, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Paul K

Paul K Well-Known Member Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    Here we go again.

Did another 10 stopper shot tonight at the beach. For some reason I can't seem to get this right. There appears to be some leakage on both the left and right hand side, the overall tone and colour is mince so to speak. I did the calculation regarding aperture, shutter speed and it gave me an exposure of 30secs.

So why did it turn out like this - Pure and utter GUFF :it-s-not-fair:

Attached Files:

2. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    just looks underexposed to me.
    are you fitting the filter in closest slot to the lens?
    Are you covering the viewfinder during exposure?
    What was the without 10 stopper exposure time reading?

3. tenchy

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    oh and don't worry about the colour, not unusual with a 10 stop, just needs a WB fix.

4. Jason

Jason Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    I usually fix the colour cast with the levels adjustment. (The BW filter I use makes a magenta tint.) I agree it looks underexposed. Another trick is to bung your camera to its highest ISO and fire a test shot till you get the histogram how you want it without having to wait 30+ seconds every time. When you're happy just work out the exposure for your base ISO from that.

Fwiw, if I were photographing the above I'd get the sky and water right in a 10 stop shot and take a non-10 stop shot for the rocks and layer mask the detail in.

Paul K likes this.
  5. arteta

arteta Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    How did you do that please?

6. tenchy

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
  7. Paul K

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    Got an app on my iPhone called 'Long Exposure'

8. Paul K

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    Yip closest one to the lens.
    Didn't cover the viewfinder! - light comes on
    1/15sec

9. Jenbenjen

Jenbenjen Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    Paul I found when I started using my 10 stopper that all mine were coming out like yours above - I found I needed a lot longer than the table was telling me!! The pic you have above I would have cooked for about 90 - 120 seconds! I usually do a test shot of about 40 seconds and then go from there. Im probably completely wrong in doing it this way - but it works for me :)

Paul K likes this.
  10. Jenbenjen

Jenbenjen Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    1/15 of a second on the table I have says it needs a minute paul

11. Jason

Jason Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    I agree with Jen. For most ten stop shots during or after sunset you really need to bake the sensor. :smile:

After you've been doing these for a while you can almost guess the exposure without the cameras help.

12. Paul K

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    Sorry guys that was my mistake, shutter was 1/25, my app doesn't give it, so I took it to the closet one which read 30secs. Sorry for the confusion

13. carlb40

carlb40 Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    You may be better off doing a test in a controlled environment to check how many stops your ten stop actually is.

14. tenchy

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    from the table linked to above by me, the exposure time should be 1 minute. Plus it may be a bit over, but double the exposure time would lift your image 1 stop, sounds about right.

15. Paul K

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    Oft Carl! That sounds very technical, I wouldn't even know where to start

16. tenchy

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    ah I would go up rather than under. Over 30 seconds you have ultimate control.

17. tenchy

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    just set up somewhere like back garden, with steady light, ie not differing cloud cover.
    take one no 10 stop, then work out the exposure, take it, see if brighter or drak than no filter and adjust.
    When matched as best you can, note the difference.
    I'd take one after to check lighting not changed.

18. Paul K

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    I did another one for 1min 40secs but that to turn out the same with the blue colour cast, but the rocks did come out ok, but not great.

19. tenchy

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    the blue cast will be the filter itself. you will find a WB setting that removes it quickly.

20. carlb40

carlb40 Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    It's easy paul.
    Set up in a bright room in your house. Do the usual, AV - see what the shutter speed is. Go into manual. Set the shutter speed to what ever the chart says.
    Take a pic, load it onto the pc. In ACR click auto. Check see if it has added any exposure value. If it has, take another pic with that value added. Then back to ACR. Keep going till when you click auto in ACR it adds no exposure to the pic.
    It is quite easy and quick

Paul K likes this.