• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

Please be aware when you sign up, we carry out strict IP screening as an anti-spam measure. We confirm if where you say you are from is where your IP address is located. If you sign up using a TOR node, VPN or proxy, you may be subject to rejection at sign up. If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules
  • Reminder for signatures: Please remember only premium members are allowed to display links in their signature
    If you are a non premium member and want to display a link in your signature you will need to upgrade to premium membership.’ 
    Non premium members who are found displaying signatures will have them removed without notice
    Please refer to forum rule 2 about signatures

120 film problems

Orpheo

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hello everyone,

I have recently started my adventure with Kodak Brownie No2 Autographic Camera and had a mixture of success and failure that I do not really understand. Some times my film is developed very well and without any problems, and sometimes it is almost completely blank, in spite of using basically the same settings.
I am attaching a few photos I took in London, using Retropan 320 soft film. What is really wierd is that a random photo in a film will be good, but the rest of them will not.
My other issue is that with FOMA and Retropan, they get very tight and stuck in my camera when I am finishing winding the film. I didn't have this issue with Ilford films.
Perhaps someone can tell me what is wrong by judgning these photos.

Daniel

Attachments

picsel

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I am wondering how many here will have ever used this old tech :) I have a french fold-out camera that uses 120 film. I am amazed that it still works quite well.

Now, I really don't know what is happening for you, except the second picture looks like half of it got exposed to light. Maybe it wasn't fully rewound when you opened the camera? The others almost look like the were focussed on something with fingerprints on it? Sorry I really am struggling to guess.

Ozzie_Traveller

G'day
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
G'day Daniel

There could be multiple issues here ... the camera & the processing
Firstly- the camera...
= without film in place, can you click the shutter 20-30 times with it working every time?
= set "B" if it has this ... then holding the empty camera to the light look critically at the glass of the lens- is it clear or fuzzy? ie- is there any fungus inside the glass

re- processing...
= are you doing it or is a commercial mob doing it? ... ie- a commercial mob should not make processing errors, but we occasional D&P users sometimes do make a muck of things
If you are doing your own D&P,...
= are you winding the film onto the reels carefully and making sure that nothing is touching the bit on the next groove of the spiral
= Q- what is your agitation technique during development?

Hope this helps
Phil

Orpheo

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi there!

Thank you for your answer. So, I have actually done the checks you mentioned before, even had the bellows replaced with the new ones.
This is strange because just before the 2 messed up films, I had four almost completely perfect ones, with 90% of the photos being without any isssues.
The shutters are working fine, both on 25 and 50 speeds, as well as Bulb and Time.

Sometimes when I use release cable with a very dodgy lock twist mechanism, it stays open for longer than I want it in the ''bulb'' mode, but I am rarely using it and I know which photo was it.

I am using a local shop which sends it to some developing company, I was thinking that they might be messing it up, because I cannot believe that a fully worked camera that was restored and assessed by an expert, and me being able to take decent shots with it, gets such unreliable and random effects.

Here is an example of a photo I took some 2 months ago, same camra, same methods, using black tape to cover the orange glass at the black etc.

I am utterly baffled to be honest

Attachments

Classicbiker

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I'm going with a faulty shutter or lens. both sound be intermittent and on occasion work fine, hence you get the odd decent exposure. Try a different camera while keeping everything else the same.

Same goes for the film, see if you have problems with it in a different camera.

old 120 cameras are cheap enough to experiment with.

Orpheo

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The shutter works fine, even if I press it 10 or 20 times in a row, it never gets stuck. This is why I don't understand what might be an issue here. But maybe it is a good idea to get another camrea and try with it.

BrianS

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
Have you opened the camera back with the bellows extended? Is it possible that the inner lining has become separated and is getting into the optical path?

Deon Reynolds

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
My wife shoots with a Kodak Brownie 2A box camera, I process, contact and print her film. I have seen the interior felt come loose and get in the way of an image, but this doesn't look like that. I'm not familiar with the film you are using, I do have experience with film getting tight or stuck in these cameras. When Trish loads her camera with Kodak Tri-X film it gets tight and jammed by the end of the roll. When she loads Ilford FP4-120 it rolls free and easy. I believe this has to do with the thickness of the emulsion base. I searched reviews on FOMA Retropan 320 soft film and found many users find the film to be quite random in results. The lab could be throwing you a curve ball too. I would try a film you have good consistent results and test again, also maybe find a professional lab for consistent results.

Orpheo

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I think I have figured out what is wrong on both occasions. First, because the film doesn't wind evenly onto a roll, after I take it out it gets overexposed, because I was not swapping my films in darkness(and from now on, I shall). So for some reason, Ilford films are ok, but FOMA and RETROpan are winding on thicker on one side, but not always. Maybe it is because the spool is silghtly tilted, or maybe because I have put them on in a funny way. Someone advised me to get 620 film roll and that should fix to problem of the film being stuck.
I think my problem was overexposure after taking the film out, since the only films that were alright were the ones I have swapped in a windowless room.