• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

300 DPI? Hi-resolution needed for printing? Honestly?

Snips

Always on
I had a surprise yesterday. I printed a couple of files sent to me. Both were 1280px x 853px with one being 193Kb and the other 197Kb. I said they'd probably be a little pixelated but I'd print them to see what happened.

These are phone pics of the 7" x 5" prints, the second being slightly out of focus but it doesn't really show in the print. Perhaps it's because I have a dye sublimation printer? I don't know but I'm amazed at how they've turned out.

20190410_121834.jpg

20190410_121845.jpg

oldgeezer

Always on
Premium Member
I've been saying this for years but it always falls on deaf ears.

Modern print soft/hardware has come a long way but people still hark back to the old maths when printing out photos.
Obviously it helps to have a decent photo to begin with.
Canvas, you can get away with a lot more.
Glad to see someone has actually tried it themselves. A convert i hope Edward.

Snips

Always on
Thanks, Pete - definitely a convert.

Also worrying me a little as if more learn about it then they can download a cheap digital file off my website and have prints done themselves at probably much cheaper rates than mine :(

oldgeezer

Always on
Premium Member
Thanks, Pete - definitely a convert.

Also worrying me a little as if more learn about it then they can download a cheap digital file off my website and have prints done themselves at probably much cheaper rates than mine :(
The printers above my old garage business used to blow up small photos from the web up to 5-6 feet high.
Digital develops so fast.

Ozzie_Traveller

Old Hand
Premium Member
G'day mate

If you pop into your local print shop using Fuji processing machinery, you will see on the sides of the printer a logo saying [something like] "printing to 1440dpi via interpolation". I have printed 3mpx images into 20" x 30" posters and they look great

Phil

imagesBV

I think dye sublimation helps....as supposedly it doesn’t require the firing of blobs of ink for every pixel...the colour medium is built into the support as such. I tried a Canon dye sub at a show and it produced a much more film like result.....I’d like one myself but can’t justify it in addition to my ink gobbling Pro10!