1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

6D mk1 focusing problems?

Discussion in 'Photography Tips, Tricks & Tutorials Forum' started by Georgedaulman, May 7, 2018.

1. Georgedaulman

Georgedaulman Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi All,

I've got a 6D, which is my main body and have always had problems with the AF.

Does anyone have any solutions to combat this? Or is it just the camera?

For moving subjects, I use Al Servo, on automatic selection.

I have tried on multiple lens, everything from the 70-200 F2.8 to a nifty fifty, but all have the same results. I find that once it's focused on a subject, and I am using continues shotting, it fails to refocus on any movements.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

George

2. Jason

Jason Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I had a 6d Mk1 when was a Canon user. I shot a couple of airshows with it (using a Sigma 150-500) and found it challenging. The AF is fairly basic on the 6d with only the centre point being especially useful for tracking. Saying that, it does the job if you can keep the centre point over your subject.

3. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yep - it's a problem! :(

Don't know if the Mk2 has this problem cured but I'm not going for the Mk2 as apparently there are noise issues. The focusing is a frustrating problem with the camera, not the lenses.

I put up with it though for one good (I think!) reason - it makes me spend longer composing and creating and preparing for shots. By way of explanation, I was shooting point to point racing yesterday and had a fair few out of focus but many less than previous times because I have spent more time working out where to stand and composing before shooting, thus getting around the problem better.

I use the single centre spot for focusing but in low light especially when flash has to be used it can take a good half second to focus. I've just learned to live with it as I really like the camera and am thinking of buying a second one for my son to use (instead of the ancient 5DMk1 which I still have). In good sunlight behind me I rarely have focussing issues.

Returning your issue and suggestions, with the point to point photography and other stuff I do, I can usually tell when it's going or will be going out of focus and just have to pause and give the camera another second to sort itself out. I don't know for certain but I think it focuses more quickly when shooting in jpeg mode as opposed to raw. And, as Jason mentions, using just the centre spot seems to work well too.

Haripaul likes this.
  4. balami

balami Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I had a 6D. It was a great portrait / landscape body.
    However I spend most winter weekends shooting football matches and the 6D couldn't hack it because of the basic focussing system. It's not a sports camera.

Haripaul likes this.
  5. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The 6D has an excellent sensor with great low light capability but mediocre AF for action - it's just one of those things you need to work through. The camera, with 11 AF points of which only one is cross-type - the most sensitive to motion, was not designed for shooting action photos (races, sports, etc.). For that you need a camera having a lot of cross-type AF points such as the contemporaneous 7D that has 19 cross-type AF Points and certainly later models having more cross-type AF Points.

However, there are some optional steps you can take, specifically using Custom Functions II-1, II-2, II-3, and II-4 that let the shooter expand beyond simply putting the camera in AI Servo AF.

More info can be found in your manual or here: www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/eos6d_travelcam.shtml

6. lesthelens

lesthelens Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  7. Georgedaulman

Georgedaulman Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Glad I am not the only one finding problems! Centre point works well for me too.

8. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Learn the limitations of your camera/lenses and become proficient utilizing their strengths and your photos will always satisfy you. If there are specific situations, like sports, that you just have to give it a go, you will be more comfortable with what you can and can't do and be in a better position for deciding whether a particular camera or lens is holding you back.

9. Mark 1

Mark 1 Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I only ever use the centre point, its extremely fast and accurate and quick enough for BIF and aviation especially in poor light conditions. Never use the other focus points there useless.

I have even had good focus lock in moonlight using centre one

10. NoLight

NoLight Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Calibrate your lens to your body!! I had a 5dm3 that was terrible with a 24-70 2.8L used Reikan FoCal -BAM- fixed!!

11. Mark 1

Mark 1 Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Wont make much difference, 6D is well known for poor focusing on the outer focus points, as said the centre one is excellent but any 6D user will soon suss it out

12. NoLight

NoLight Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Gotcha It helped mine my center focus was very close all others not so much.