• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Want Pointers A Bee

herne

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi all, a complete novice here and would very much appreciate any pointers you may have especially around composition.

Below is an image I grabbed using my iPhone to help me focus on composition before I start playing around with my camera. I also gave it a quick pass through Luminar (never used it before) as a try out - experimenting helps me learn. For reference I also include at the bottom the original unedited image.

Obviously it's no high quality professional image using a macro lens, however that's not my intention anyway. Baby steps to help me learn more is what I'm after.

bee7.jpg

nL4p3TLmSWKmbQoM3ibzQw.jpg

David_MC

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
First is my pick. It is sharp, well exposed, and composed pretty well.

gaelldew

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
OK with the phone Herne and processed nicely, never used Luminar so couldnt say if there is a part of it to lift shadows, with other processers perhaps would have lightened the bee.

herne

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks both. This is really a trial in terms of composition and trying out some editing. I'm pretty happy overall with picture itself (and will be experimenting further with an actual camera) although the editing probably erred a bit too much towards the leaves rather than the subject. In real life the red of the bee's abdomen really did pop which I think is missing from the picture. More to experiment with :).

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Pretty impressive amount of detail captured considering the heavy crop and the fact it was shot with a phone, I like the composition you found in the original frame.
Don't know how close you can get with your iphone but with most of my recent phones they can focus quite close and some even have a macro/ super macro setting which will allow you to pretty much fill the frame with something the size of that bee. Shooting a moving subject from that far away is very difficult as you don't have the fine focus control you would with a dslr/ lens but with still(ish) subjects phones can do a remarkably good job with closeup/ macro.

We have a 'My phone take better pictures than your camera' competition later in the year and in previous years' comps I have always been impressed with what members have manged to capture with a phone especially the macro stuff. If you are interested in seeing some of the previous entries/ winners have a look in the Misc Competition section of the forum.

We actually have a bluebell comp in the voting stage at the moment if you fancy casting a vote. ;)

lesthelens

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Nothing wrong with these Bees can be difficult thay dont stay still

herne

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Pretty impressive amount of detail captured considering the heavy crop and the fact it was shot with a phone, I like the composition you found in the original frame.
Don't know how close you can get with your iphone but with most of my recent phones they can focus quite close and some even have a macro/ super macro setting which will allow you to pretty much fill the frame with something the size of that bee. Shooting a moving subject from that far away is very difficult as you don't have the fine focus control you would with a dslr/ lens but with still(ish) subjects phones can do a remarkably good job with closeup/ macro.

We have a 'My phone take better pictures than your camera' competition later in the year and in previous years' comps I have always been impressed with what members have manged to capture with a phone especially the macro stuff. If you are interested in seeing some of the previous entries/ winners have a look in the Misc Competition section of the forum.

We actually have a bluebell comp in the voting stage at the moment if you fancy casting a vote. ;)
Thanks, I'll check it out.

I'm excited to get my dslr off "auto" but am also finding the phone camera quite intriguing. It's always in my pocket so something I can easily access when something catches my eye and so helps me with practice for composition / lighting when taking out my dslr.