• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Full Critique A Couple from the Lakes

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Jim (Blofeld) and I spent a few days in the Lake District between Christmas and New Year. We had pretty poor conditions on the whole and almost no light at all but here's a couple that stood out as mediocre rather than appalling!

Blea Tarn

BleaTarn.jpg

The Ullswater Boathouse for a change

BoathouseAgain.jpg

Any comments or CC gratefully received.

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Considering the conditions, you have managed the first one very well. I do like the composition of the second. Is that HDR?

David_MC

Always on
Beautiful shots. I like the house in the 2nd image but the first is my favorite for the reflection and mood.

ed taylor

Super Ed
Super Moderator
Those are very good if you had bad weather. We had rain for the duration we stayed there.

wraggtime

Always on
Nothing wrong here Barry, great job considering the conditions. Always tough to pull it out the bag and keep motivated when the weather is not playing ball but I think you’ve managed it here.

Ramble Vision

Mountain Climber
Super Moderator
I like the one of blea tarn, has a nice bit of grumpyness to it. Im not sure about the 2nd one though honestly. The colours seem a bit funky id tone down and aim for something similar to the blea tarn one. and personally id crop some of the bottom as there a bit too much gubbins.

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Considering the conditions, you have managed the first one very well. I do like the composition of the second. Is that HDR?
Cheers Roger. The sky has been blended in from a - 1ev shot the rest is a single image with some local area contrast adjustments and some lifting of the shadows.

Beautiful shots. I like the house in the 2nd image but the first is my favorite for the reflection and mood.
I've got a better image of the boathouse from an earlier visit but I tried a very different composition this time as there is no point getting a worse shot from the same viewpoint as everybody else.

Those are very good if you had bad weather. We had rain for the duration we stayed there.
Every time I've been to the lakes it's been mainly flat and grey. I live in hope.

Nice shots! The firts is the best!
Thanks

Both lovely shots.
Cheers Jah

The Blea Tarn shot looks very good indeed.

The other shot needs reflections in order to work, IMO
A shot without a reflection isn't a shot! :roll:

Nothing wrong here Barry, great job considering the conditions. Always tough to pull it out the bag and keep motivated when the weather is not playing ball but I think you’ve managed it here.
Cheers Dave.

Under conditions like that you have done a great job.
Thank you

I like the one of blea tarn, has a nice bit of grumpyness to it. Im not sure about the 2nd one though honestly. The colours seem a bit funky id tone down and aim for something similar to the blea tarn one. and personally id crop some of the bottom as there a bit too much gubbins.
I may have been a heavy hand on the sliders trying to turd polish!

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Glad to see you haven't lost your touch. For attracting meh weather on trips! We blame you now cos I wasn't there :)

balami

Always on
Premium Member
Both very pleasing shots. I wonder if you are able to bring out the detail under the water in the foreground of the first shot? There was another shot on here last week that did that, and it really added to the feel of it.