1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

A Different Way Of Looking At It.......

Discussion in 'Photography News Forum' started by Christopher, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Christopher

Christopher Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Decided to have a look at Virtual Reality (VR) technology to see how far it has got. The idea was to research the latest VR between Playstation and PC and anything else that had come along. I had a thought of buying something at some point if the VR system was good enough but expected to spend ages researching it and then going though the buying process.

But to my astonishment 2 days later I took delivery of an "Oculus Go". This is a stand alone VR system that connects to your WiFi and just has a jeadset and one controller. It is an entry level system but is also more advanced in parts than it's big brother which is twice the price and still needs a powerful PC to operate. It costs £199.

So here I am 6 days later and I have been unable to put it down. It has been an amazing experience and I am hopelessly addicted!

You can do many things including loading in photos and viewing them and videos on gigantic screens. So it is a photography related piece of news in case the mods are wondering.

But the VR system is just fab! I recommend it for some great fun and entertainment.

You can view 10 foot by 10 foot images!! Even bigger.

Has anybody else used this system?

wraggtime likes this.
  2. JAH-WAR

JAH-WAR Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    I'm extremely interested in this. I'd be looking to get something to run off my PC but might have to upgrade the graphics, I dunno. A bit of research and help is required me thinks.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  3. Christopher

Christopher Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes it is very interesting for sure. PC systems are superior to the one I bought but I was just wanting a toe dip into the technology to see what it is about and I was happy to invest £199 to start my experience with VR. I am more than happy with the result and have had many many hours of fun and entertainment. At times I have gasped at the astonishing views and feelings from this little device.

4. JAH-WAR

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Here's the spec of my PC. It was quite a decent spec gamer when I bought it nearly 2 years ago. Any idea if that would run say an Oculus Rift Touch? I'm cluless with IT technicalities:rolleyes:

Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-6500 (3.2GHz) 6MB Cache

Memory (RAM) 16GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 8GB)

Graphics Card 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 960 - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP (Special!!)

5. JAH-WAR

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Hmmmmmmmmmm, looks like my Graphics card is not up to it so will have to upgrade that for starters.

6. Christopher

Christopher Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Your video card may be ok. Go to Oculus Rift site and download a program which checks if you are compatible with the system and can use it. I decided not to look into PC upgrade and the more expensive systems because I was unsure of the quality of these systems. Buy my "cheap" little Oculus Go is fantastic even if not as good as the more expensive systems (which I would not know because I havent used one yet). If you havent seen it before then there is loads of fun to be had and I may eventually buy a more expensive system but for me this entails a new PC which I dont want to do yet. I am more than happy with this Go at the moment.

JAH-WAR likes this.
  7. JAH-WAR

Edit my images ?:
    No

Aye, that's what I did and it ran through the checks. Everything else met or exceeded the minimum requirements but the Graphics Card got big X.

8. hooferinsane

hooferinsane EXIF Seeker Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    My daughter actually has a PlayStation VR. Does take a lot of getting used, initially can give you serious balance issues, (or was that the bottle of wine :D) Joking aside, it does take a lot to get used to it, or at least for me it did.

9. Christopher

Christopher Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    With Oculus Go there is actually a VR App which is free and which lets you see how you will be with experiencing VR. It does all these movements and then works out how easy you can select a target while in motion.

With the "Go" I can be in any room in the house using it whereas with the Playstation VR you need to be attached to it by cable. The Oculus Go is Wifi enabled and so there is no cable which is fab.

I have banged my head and hit my coffee cup a few times so far!! But I am hopelessly addicted and just love it as a gadget. I stopped seeing real life properly lol!! My mind is seeing my normal computer browser in 3D!

10. Phill104

Phill104 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have PS VR and it is great fun, especially watching the kids jump playing rush of blood and doom.

Had a go on the rift on a friends PC and the experience is not that different. Graphics are slightly better and the control system is more VR friendly but not sure if it is all worth the extra cost.

Christopher likes this.