• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Want Pointers A Robin

iknowgungfu

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi all,

Still battling with my work/other stuff time to photography ratio! However, managed to get a photo of a regular visitor. This is obviously the same photo but tinkered in different ways. I like the texture of the tiny feathers.

Wales Aug 2020-122-Edit.jpg

Wales Aug 2020-122-Edit-2.jpg

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Cool...how close were you?

Piquet

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Nice feather detail

DavidC

Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
These are great little fellas to photograph as they can become quite tame. We have a couple that will land on your knee and eat out of your hand. Photographically 1) getting the depth of field right without increasing your ISO too much, and 2) the correct focus point is the challenge. The feather detail on this image is fantastic so no problems on DoF. The focus just slightly out on the eye, but does not detract too much from this great image.

iknowgungfu

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Cool...how close were you?
This one let me get less than 2m away I would guess.

@DavidC I know what you mean with the eyes. The weird thing is when I check focus points it is perfectly focussed on the eye. I don't know if it is just the quality of the lens or another issue. Movement blur might be a factor but it was shot at f/4 1/1250s

I get a lot of shots like this where it isn't quite as sharp as I would like and usually put it down to my own ability as that is the more likely culprit. I used to have a tendency to have the ISO too low for fear of noise but have since signed up to the mantra that a noisy image is better than a blurry one.

Thanks.

David_MC

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Excellent shot!

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
1/1250 should have frozen everything. Do you mean 1/125? There is some motion blur in the feathers.

iknowgungfu

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
@Mike Singh I have just checked the EXIF again to be sure. Definitely 1/1250 f4

It's quite strange as I often feel like my shots are slightly off despite accurate focal points.

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
@Mike Singh I have just checked the EXIF again to be sure. Definitely 1/1250 f4

It's quite strange as I often feel like my shots are slightly off despite accurate focal points.
Could be the shallow DOF at f4. I’d go to F9 and wack up the ISO to give a neutral exposure. Often that means 800-3200 ISO.