1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

A6000 vs E-M10 Mk II

Discussion in 'Photography Chat Forum' started by climber678, Jan 11, 2017.

1. climber678

climber678 New Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I currently own a Canon G16, and I'm looking to purchase a mirrorless camera system.
    I mainly shoot landscape, mountains and climbers, however I'm looking to get into astrophotography and 'urbex'/abandoned buildings type stuff as well.

I'm considering either the Sony A6000 and the Olympus E-M10 II.

Which is the best system to invest in?

Sony E
    + larger/better quality sensors
    + Better in low light
    - Sony seem to be giving up on the E APSC lenses
    - Lenses are heavier
    - Less lenses (I'm not really interested in FE lenses as I'm looking to keep the camera system light)

Olympus M4/3
    + Bodies have more features
    + Wide variety of lenses
    + Good support for the system with Oly & Pana
    + Lighter system overall
    - Sensor is smaller than APSC
    - Worse AF performance

My system with the Sony would be something like this:

A6000
    E 10-18 f4

E 55-210 f4.5-6.3
    E 50 f1.8
    Samyang 12 f2

In the future, this could branch out to the E 16-70 f4 and other Sony FE lenses and legacy glass.

My MFT system would look like this:

E-M10 II
    Oly 9-18 f4-5.6

Oly 40-150 f4-5.6 R / Pana 35-100 f4-5.6
    Oly 45 f1.8 / Pana 42.5 f1.7
    Samyang 12 f2

In the future, this could branch out to the Oly 12-40 f2.8 and Oly 7-14 f2.8 / Pana 7-14 f4 and others.

Mostly, I'd take my camera and wide angle lens on my climbing trips. The other lenses being less important. 45% of my photos are landscape, 45% are climbers in mountain environments and the last 10% are astro/urbex/portrait. I was relatively settled on the Olympus but I wondered if the AF performance of the A6000 would be significantly better for the photos of climbers.

Photographers I somewhat aspire towards are Jonathan Griffiths (Alpine Exposures) and Ben Tibbets (Alpine and Adventure Photography). Photos I would be taking are similar to those on the UKClimbing photo forums (I can't post links to any of these as I'm not a member I think).

Any advice?

2. alan14

alan14 Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I've just swapped my Sony A65 for an E-M10 Mk II and I've have no regrets at all.

The sensor in the A6000 is the same as the A65, and I'd say the images I'm getting out of the E-M10 are far superior to anything I got out of the A65.

I'm currently using the 14-42mm and 50-150mm lenses that came in the kit, I'd like something a bit wider so I'm considering the Samyang 12mm.

3. mikew

mikew Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I looked at the sony range but bought m4/3 because when you add the lenses the sony loses its small size.

4. climber678

climber678 New Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    How is continuous autofocus for capturing people hiking or climbers climbing on the E-M10 II?

5. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi and welcome to the forum. Seeing as you might be a regular contributor here, why not drop over to the Who Are You section and introduce yourself to the crowd.

Honestly, I don't see a need for continuous autofocus when shooting climbers or hiking. Personally, I don't feel that the action is fast enough to be wasting the extra battery usage.