• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Adobe products and Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina) 32bit app support

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
The next version of Mac OS due out in probably October will drop support for 32bit applications. Right now on 10.14 there are warnings for 32bit applications but after the upgrade there will be no support and 32bit applications will not run. I can understand Apple doing this, they will be cleaning up their code base and shrinking the hard drive space that the OS needs, to start.

Adobe has a published statement on this here: http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2019/07/upcoming-changes-to-photoshop-lightroom-os-support-with-macos-10-15-catalina.html

Older versions of some products may have the main program be 64bit but other parts still have a lot of 32bit code, mainly in the installers and licensing components.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Hopefully that'll be a painless affair then. I've Catalina Beta on one of my machines but not had time to sit down and have a look to see if there's any bugs yet; only real one that I'm glad they are still continuing is a replacement for Extended Script Toolkit. I just hope they bring a tool out to recompile droplets or update the droplet generation support for 64bit.

The main rig isn't going over until at least .3 so that should give Adobe and Apple to sort out the respective bugs.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
At work we are having issues because of changes made to the file system. Something to do with hidden partitions and stuff.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Yeah, I've had a couple of oddities with that as well, I'm not sure how this split system is going to work out as I think some of the programme issues that we'll see in the "real world" come this autumn won't be from the binning of 32bit, but I'm sure some will come from this. To me, that's perhaps the biggest shift in the design of MacOS since the transition from PPC to Intel, more so than 64bit.

The other thing that's got me a couple of times on the beta is that I've knocked some bash commands in to the terminal and thought "Hmmm... What's wrong here?", and takes me a few seconds to catch up that it's over on zsh now.