1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Adobe released Lightroom classic 7.5

Discussion in 'Photography News Forum' started by DonS, Aug 22, 2018.

1. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    MikeB likes this.
  2. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I updated on Sunday. It has become painfully slow to work with!

3. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Odd, I am finding it quite fast.

4. Mike Singh

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    There is a upraw online as well!

5. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Now I have to go look. No one during beta testing, that I saw, reported a speed issue.

6. Mike Singh

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I also can't export to the forum's file size limit at 300 dpi and dimensions 1024 pix, file size limit 244k. Error message says increase file size limit.

7. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That I will check when I get home. I do not think I have exported since I upgraded.

8. Mike Singh

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  9. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yeah, that open letter is from July 30 and Adobe Lightroom 7.4 was getting trashed for its many continuing problems. Not that 7.5 (August 22 ??) solves everything but it does seem to resolve many of the speed problems introduced with 7.3

Mike Singh likes this.
  10. Mike Singh

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It has killed my processing. There is a lag with everything I do.

11. Phill104

Phill104 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It has certainly fixed a lot of the problems I had with 7.3 and 7.4. I was struggling with a few things but 7.5 seems a lot better.

Mike Singh likes this.
  12. Mike Singh

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I am thinking to reinstall it!

13. Mike Singh

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I reset the prefrences file...looks better so far.

MikeB likes this.
  14. Blofeld

Blofeld Forum Photobomber Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I tried to update lightroom cc last week, it told me I couldn't as I am still running windows 7 and it said the update requires windows 10. A little annoyed to be honest!

Mike Singh likes this.
  15. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Microsoft ended mainstream support for windows 7 back in 2015 so in part I can understand software companies ending their support for it as a platform too. However, Microsoft will still be producing security updates until 2020 for Win 7 so maybe third party companies should wait until nearer that time. It is an awkward position for third party companies to be in as there has been a lot of mistrust of Microsoft due to some of their awful operating systems over the years. I’m talking Windows ME, Vista and Win 8 and 8.1. Personally I think Win 10 is OK so maybe worth the move.

Mike Singh likes this.
  16. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Just testing forum upload.

20180818-5225.jpg

That works with my previous export preset.

Mike Singh likes this.
  17. Blofeld

Blofeld Forum Photobomber Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Microsoft have certainly had some crappy OS over the years. Win 10 works well, can’t deny it... but I hate the user interface and restrictions, I much prefer Win 7.

Mike Singh and MikeB like this.
  18. MikeB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes, Windows 10 can be a pita. I had to rebuild my desktop so now it has Windows 10, I've added a bunch of shortcuts on the desktop that gives me most of the control I had under Windows 7. So far so good. I don't understand what functionality that Win 10 has that Adobe wants to use that was not in Win 7 but it would seem odd for them to be helping Microsoft move users to the new system if it wasn't something that Adobe needed.

19. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    32 bit support for a start, that is a huge one. Plenty of other legacy drivers, abstraction layers etc that make software bloated.

20. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The output from Winver :)

21. MikeB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Nope, your explanations have not brought me enlightenment. Given the limited functionality of Lightroom CC 2018 compared to Lightroom Classic and the fact that Lightroom Classic does not require Windows 10, I don't understand what Windows 10 provides that Windows 7 doesn't. It may be that as Lightroom CC 2018, as a new application, is being coded to take advantage of the Windows 10-specific code but I've not found any references to how Windows 10 coding is superior to Windows 7 other than with security, copying and pasting, and multi-tasking. It may also be that Adobe will "refresh" Lightroom Classic once Lightroom CC is fully up to speed making it also unavailable to Win 7 users.

Whether you are using the 64-bit Windows 7 or Windows 10, both run 32-bit applications just fine. As I understand it, an application only needs to be 64-bit if it is directly accessing memory greater than 4gb. If its not accessing memory, such as most drivers and widgets, it will work fine as 32-bit code.

I don't understand, Winver just tells me the version and build as well as copyright notices. System Type (32-bit or 64-bit) is under Control Panel/System and Security/System.

22. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It was partially a joke. Overall I am sure it streamlines Adobe's support if they do not have to support customers on Win 7 even if they could easily do it.

MikeB likes this.
  23. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It is not as simple as that Mike. It is fine for a 64bit machine to support 32 bit code, all good and no problems. The cost for Adobe however is to directly support 32bit code. Up until now, to provide support for Win 7 they need various parts of code for both 32bit and 64bit. To move on with current technology they want I am sure to optimise for 64bit, but also need to provide direct 32bit support. There has to come a time where they drop 32bit support and the extra expense of maintaining both in money and the cost to efficiency of the package. So when they drop the 32bit support what do they do? Do they say Win 7 will work only if you are running a 64bit version? Or do you just move on from an operating system that is no longer supported by its developers?

In addition, ad Win 7 is no longer actively being developed there are new protocols and code that need to be supported. New hardware GPU acceleration is just one of many examples that need to be thought about. While a GPU manufacturer may provide the relevant drivers, are they fully OS compliant and able to correctly communicate with third part software.

I do understand how users will be frustrated, but having worked in the industry for so many years I also see it from a manufacturers point of view. Legacy becomes painful and expensive to support. Even if a developer or manufacturer wants to continue supporting an item there are often third parties that prevent them from doing so. Chip manufacturers, particularly ones that deal with comms, regularly depreciate code and products which forces those that utilise it to also withdraw support.

Personally there are times I want to scream when a piece of perfectly good and often expensive hardware has to get thrown in the bin simply because it has become EOSL. or even just one component of a large solution has so the whole system is scrapped.

MikeB likes this.
  24. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I think it's just the internal support cycle, looking at the Windows release history to Adobe CS support it swings between 5 and 8 years from OS release to end of support by Adobe (with things like Vista and the original 8 not lasting very long, whereas XP and 7 lasted much longer). It's us lot on the other side that get the crappy end of the stick as there's been some versions of CC based stuff that have been listed as unsupported within the life cycle of the OS.

25. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Lightroom 5.5 is lovely and nippy

MikeB likes this.