1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Advice with Photoshop .psb large format

Discussion in 'Photoshop & Editing Chat Forum' started by Keldrilh80, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Keldrilh80

Keldrilh80 New Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hello guys,

I'm working with large images in photoshop in .psb format: 160.000 pixels X 300.000 pixels. When saved on Hard Disk the file size is 4.7 GB, but while working on photoshop it says 110/120 GB.

Problem 1) With my current laptop it takes more than 20 hours to save it. (I saved it with compression thou)

Problem 2) The image also contains a lot of layers, and when I start to work on the file, like adding objects and moving layers (please consider I'm not using filters, i'm simply creating a kind of mosaic), at the begininng Photoshop responds fast. But more things I do, more time it takes to esecute the command. After 20/30 minutes it becomes very slow, taking up to 2/3 minutes to move a layer or to add a new object... And the time keep increasing up to 5 minutes... (I tried also to remove "undo actions" but improvement is marginal)

Problem 3) I stopped to work on it as was strenuos and as I decided I need a new desktop for this project. But when I will resume my work, i estimateed the images size may increase over 10 Gb.

This is my current Laptop: DELL INSPIRION 15-3521 (Pentium 2127U 1.9 GHz / RAM 4GB / HD 500GB / Win 8.1 64 bit)

So this is the new desktop configuration i would like to check with you:

CPU: i7-6850K 3,6 GHz
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 64GB (4x16GB) 3.000
    GPU: Sapphire AMD RX 480 8GB
    STORAGE: Samsung 960 EVO NVMe SSD 500 GB
    STORAGE: WD Black 3.5 7.200RMP 2TB

My goal is to reduce drastically the saving time and being able to work on the image without minutes idle time beetween commands.

According to your experience do you think will it be enough to work on my project?

Do you have any suggestions to change some of the components?

Thanks a lot,
    Ciao
    Kel

2. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That's one large file you have there.

Welcome, by the way.

If the numbers are correct you're trying to save a file that's 20% of the hard disk capacity and I'm guessing there's a little spare space but that is causing the slowness.

Each time you add another layer you're double the original file size again. So a 20Mb original with three layers will be 80Mb. Give or take.

Does the file have to be that big to start with or can you make it smaller and work on that to the same effect? Can you do more on a single layer? Perhaps save the file after 2-3 layers, adding a Cntrl+Alt+Shift+E to create a single layer containing all the information of the levels below. Then save it as a different name. Go to the new file and delete the lower layers starting with your new summary layer. Not a great work around but it might sort you out.

3. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Short of a supercomputer you will struggle with a file that big. The new spec looks good but do you really need a file that big? What is the final objective? Unless you are printing on the side of a superliner I can't imagine anything that requires that sort of resolution.

I'd think about the size you want to print at multiplied by print dpi and reduce the size of the image to suit to make it possible to work on.

4. Keldrilh80

Keldrilh80 New Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thx! :)

I wasn't aware ok this. Very good to know!

I have been thinking about few alternatives how to proceed. This is also a good one. But still I will consume more time thinking how I can do it faster, rather than focusing on the project itself. It is ok to get a new desktop for this project to work smoothly without struggle. Just wanna make sure to get the proper one! :)

5. Keldrilh80

Keldrilh80 New Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    No no, the file is not for printing.

I did a calculation just for fun, just to know how big it would have been if printed, and if my calculation is correct (not sure about this thou), it will big as much as a soccer field!

Basically when I will have finished to work on it, I will use krpano software to tile the image and make it viewable/zommable like google map.

6. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The very fastest home machine is still going to struggle like mad with a file that size.

7. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Normally, for files this big it is advisable to work on it in sections. Working towards an end project which will be the final output size required.
    There are many digital artists that make very large files like this. Look up Bert Kindly on YouTube. It might give you some tips.

8. Keldrilh80

Keldrilh80 New Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Sorry i don't find him. Is that a channel?

9. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Try this. You can search for more later.

Keldrilh80 likes this.