• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Almost flooded last night - anyone any recommendations for a form of pump?

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Super Moderator
We have a slow seep drain on our driveway which always struggles to drain water away. Last night was exceptional rain last night which resulted in something which has never happened before it actually had ‘risen to about an inch below our front door! Spent an hour with my 2 daughters around midnight ‘bucketing’ the water off of our driveway down the road (our road is on an incline) Luckily our neighbour came out to give us a hand, it took about an hour for four of us to remove bucket loads of water. The depth the water rose was about 12 inches in such a short space of time. Amusingly our border terrier sat in the doorway in the dry watching us most of the time. I replayed the CCTV this morning which was amusing. Now going to invest in some form of pump In case it ever happens again ? Can anyone recommend one?

Grumpy John

Here a lot
Any Sub Pump should do the job for you Brian. Sub is short for submersible. Do you have Lowes, or something similar near you. I know Bunnings were in the U.K., but that's another story :).

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Build a sump at the lowest part of the affected area and then put in a submersible with a float switch so it kicks in automatically should this happen again when you aren't there; just make sure where you're feeding the outlet of the pump to can handle with the flow rate or you could just end up shifting water in a loop.

oldgeezer

Always on
Premium Member
We had this last year. When I reported it they told me it was a pumping station fault. Living in a country village, the roadside drains are usually full of debris and can't cope with the heavy downpours we seem to get nkw.
I would phone and ask if there is a problem first as the amount you will need to shift, you will need a big pump to overcome heavy rain Brian.
Last night wasn't as heavy as some storms recently and if it hasn't happened before, I would check the council first.

Snips

Always on
Since it’s only occasional use and not masses of water (in the overall scheme of things), might a garden pond pump work, being cheap and small for storage purposes?

We had a flood threat at our last house and bought a 2” petrol water pump ... 500 litres per minute o_O It’s not practical for storing though unless you have at least two garden sheds.

gaelldew

Always on
Premium Member
We had problems with our garden got a pump from B&Q a plastic storage box it would fit into, sunk that in one corner and piped it into the drains. Which reminds me it could probably do with a clean out now. LOL.