1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Alone

Discussion in 'Landscape Photography Forum' started by David_MC, Jan 13, 2019 at 6:59 PM.

1. David_MC

David_MC Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    rebel06 and Mike Singh like this.
  2. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Very well done David! The tree stands out nicely from the rest of the scene. I like the blue tones as well.

3. JAH-WAR

JAH-WAR Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    The composition is spot on for me. Only slight niggle is the wee bits of grass poking through the snow in the foreground. They are drawing my eye away from the main scene but still a very nice take.

4. Robbie S

Robbie S Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    The tree is leaning to the left, kind of looks a little unnatural.

5. Pteranadon

Pteranadon Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This is beautiful, David.

6. H1ghlander

H1ghlander Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Like the simplicity of the composition, you're left in no doubt what the picture is about and it has a point.
    Can I ask if you increased exposure by up to 1/2 to 1 stop over when you took it?
    I ask because it looks underexposed, look at the colour of the snow compared to the white background of the forum board.

Mike Singh likes this.
  7. Sundar Amartur

Sundar Amartur Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Very nicely done David. Looks like the Oldman winter has arrived at the eastern seaboard.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019 at 4:11 AM
  8. cbarnard7

cbarnard7 Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Great photo, David. I agree with Scott about the exposure. I do like the moodiness, though.

9. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    No
    very nice shot, really nice simple comp. I don't mind the under exposure as such, but yeah worth trying an increase to see if its better.

10. Tee Witch

Tee Witch Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Looks beautiful, i do like wintery snowy trees.

11. JAH-WAR

Edit my images ?:
    No
    The exposure looks decent to me and I can't see that it's leaning nor looking a little unnatural.

Phill104 likes this.
  12. H1ghlander

H1ghlander Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    I didn't get the leaning tree unnatural thing either but it's most definitely at least 1 stop under. When did you last see grey bluish snow?
    A large crop of the snow covered ground with +1.5 EV before it even thinks about blowing.

snow +1.5.JPG

Still showing signs of blue and grey so here's the same crop with same exposure increase but with wb correction. Possibly a little bit warm.

snow +1.5 +wb.JPG

The original untouched crop below.

snow orig.JPG

It's clear to see it's underexposed by a fair margin, the white background of the forum board gives it away.
    At the end of the day it depends on how the OP wants to present snow, either as white as it would be or under exposed grey blue as in this case. Under exposed snow is a common mistake because all camera metering systems assume the scene in front is 18% grey which snow clearly isn't. When shooting snow it's prudent to over expose 2/3 to 1 stop over to compensate.

Mike Singh likes this.
  13. JAH-WAR

Edit my images ?:
    No
    I don't use a white Forum background and never have done. Snow in dull conditions or receding light can often look off white but you're the landscape expert so who am I to argue.

14. H1ghlander

H1ghlander Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Oh behave, there's off white then there's dark grey. :)
    I'm no more an expert than the next guy but the first rule of shooting in snow is increase exposure by up to 1 stop to compensate for a metering system which isn't designed for white scenes.

Mike Singh likes this.
  15. JAH-WAR

Edit my images ?:
    No
  16. David_MC

David_MC Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks for you comments gents.

I applied a gradient filter to the snow to bring up its exposure and I took the clone tool to the more noticeable grasses in the scene.
    [​IMG]613A4831 by David Covarrubias, on Flickr

cbarnard7 likes this.
  17. Pteranadon

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I am liking the first one, David.
    As per exposing for snow, it may be true to push up the EV.
    However, on the fly on a sunny snow filled day it can be difficult pushing 1/6000 on say; a Canon 77d.
    I use that and a 80d.
    In fact, when shooting wildlife I lower the EV slightly and lift the whites later if there is sun.
    I can see raising it and preventing the blo out by raising shutter speed...but I fear of losing something on the subject.
    So can anyone clarify would one raise the EV while shooting wildlife in the snow?

18. H1ghlander

H1ghlander Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    It would depend on how much of the scene is made up of pure white snow.
    Metering systems are a best guess only based on one assumption, that being the scene is 18% grey. All metering systems do this regardless of mode because nearly all scenes from portraits to landscapes average out to 18% so metering systems are designed around this figure.
    Faced with a snow filled scene, which is clearly below 18% grey, metering will always underexpose anywhere between 1/2 to 1.5 stops. Referring to the histogram is paramount when shooting in white conditions.
    That's the technical explanation why many snow shots come out looking grey and not white. Artistic licence to present an under exposed shot is another matter.

Mike Singh likes this.
  19. Phill104

Phill104 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I do like this shot a lot, especially with those tiny bits of grass cloned out. Not sure how a growing tree can look unnatural, don't quite get that comment.

JAH-WAR likes this.
  20. Jason

Jason Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Nice. The edit is much better.

21. Pteranadon

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Appreciate the explanation, as I understand this there may be others who learn by seeing what others do and the critique.
    I am one of those and thought more explaination may help those who read into more what is being done.

22. Pete Larkin

Pete Larkin Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That's a great shot David. I understand what Scott says about exposure, but the feel of the correctly exposed shot will be very different from the original. Whilst both work, I think I would prefer the darker version which you posted

JAH-WAR likes this.
  23. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    No
    i prefer the original personally