• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Amateur Radio

Andy 0

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hello all,

This will be up @tenchy 's alley.

Guess who's finally booked a foundation exam!

Comments and suggestions welcome...

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Foundation exam ... is that "How to apply make-up" ..... :cool::exit:

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Lol. Good luck with it. I once did the exam and played for a while, mainly as I was doing repairs as a student. Long time ago so can remember naff all.

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hello all,

This will be up @tenchy 's alley.

Guess who's finally booked a foundation exam!

Comments and suggestions welcome...
Ah cool, well done!
Foundation should be a breeze. I would deffo get onto intermediate too, opens up the bands and power more. Also think it's straight forward.

I'm currently sat here with a 20m (14MHz inverted V dipole up, working places around the world on low signal data modes.

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
two ends of radio tech here in one setup.

Outside: wire dipole homemade, mounted on telescopic fishing (crappie) pole, bungeed to the parasol base.
20200425_144730.jpg

connected to this SDR (software defined radio) set:
1587822832451.png

connected via USB to the PC and using data modes via WSJT-X (left) which is able to make contacts with other stations with signals below the noise floor (negative signals shown). When completed it automatically sends the logged contact via UDP broadcast to the logging software on the right.
That in turn is set up with logins to all the onlin log book systems and automatically uploads the contact details to the internet log sites.
Capture.JPG

whilst on the other screen I carry on the design of the next batch of antennas!
Capture.JPG

Skyshot

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Ooh! That brings back some memories. When I did my exams back in the early eighties we had to take a separate Morse code exam in the local marine radio station.

I've not been active for donkey's, but this lockdown is making me think about it again. I only have a few old 2m handies kicking around - I sold everything else years ago.

I quite like the idea of just sticking up a 40m inverted V and doing QRP CW only. I'd need to get a receiver first though, then I'd build the transmitter. :)

Good luck with your exam.

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Ooh! That brings back some memories. When I did my exams back in the early eighties we had to take a separate Morse code exam in the local marine radio station.

I've not been active for donkey's, but this lockdown is making me think about it again. I only have a few old 2m handies kicking around - I sold everything else years ago.

I quite like the idea of just sticking up a 40m inverted V and doing QRP CW only. I'd need to get a receiver first though, then I'd build the transmitter. :)

Good luck with your exam.
Checking your location, do you ever see some of the VHF contesters out portable on the island? Some very regulars get on there.

Skyshot

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I have in the past Steve, but not for a good few years now. Maybe I should find out when they're about next so I can say hello.

Andy 0

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Just passed - 100% :)

Now I wait for the certificate and get a callsign!

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Congratulations, Andy.

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Well done Andy

Andy 0

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Cheers guys.

All quite painless, looking forward to the more advanced levels so there's something a bit more sturdy to get the ol' teeth in to.

If you've ever thought about doing it the Foundation exam is very straightforward and having done it online the RSGB guy invigilating (Martyn) was very friendly.

Cheers all,
Andy

Skyshot

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Well done. :)

I've been listening to some morse on 40m via the computer and am really disappointed to find so many people using electronic keyers instead of straight keys. Now, instead of being able to recognise an individual's style, they all sound the same. :(

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I have in the past Steve, but not for a good few years now. Maybe I should find out when they're about next so I can say hello.
There are contests on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th Tuesdays of the month, and 2nd & 3rd Thursdays. All 8pm to 10.30pm pm local time, Jan to Dec. No portable operating allowed under the virus restrictions.

Just passed - 100% :)

Now I wait for the certificate and get a callsign!
Well done! You know radio can make photography look low budget, right :)

(but doesn't have to)

Andy 0

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Well done! You know radio can make photography look low budget, right :)

(but doesn't have to)
Ha! I have seen some fantastically expensive kit. I'm no the path more for scientific/nerdy understanding than calling DX calls across the planet but it does look exciting! I'm just fascinated by how it works, playing with my hire equipment (which is only 2m/67cm stuff 5w stuff) has taught me a little but about terrain, antennas etc.

I have the wonderful little Boafeng UV-5R at the moment which is perhaps the most humble of bits of ham kit (although it does seem to be quite capable) but it's still only UHF/VHF.

There is little if any activity around here, although there is a 2m repeater about eight miles from my home which I need to investigate.

Cheers,
Andy

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Are the likes of Uniden still big players? I used to spend a lot of time repairing kit many years ago and they were one I used to see a lot of.

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Ha! I have seen some fantastically expensive kit. I'm no the path more for scientific/nerdy understanding than calling DX calls across the planet but it does look exciting! I'm just fascinated by how it works, playing with my hire equipment (which is only 2m/67cm stuff 5w stuff) has taught me a little but about terrain, antennas etc.

I have the wonderful little Boafeng UV-5R at the moment which is perhaps the most humble of bits of ham kit (although it does seem to be quite capable) but it's still only UHF/VHF.

There is little if any activity around here, although there is a 2m repeater about eight miles from my home which I need to investigate.

Cheers,
Andy
I also have a Boafeng though it struggles to reach the loacl repeater lol. I use it mostly when I am contesting in the blackies where there is no internet so I can talk back to others for finding needed stations. There it reaches 70km dead easy.
When I (eventually) get my little yagi in the attic I could probably reach Leicester repeater...

Are the likes of Uniden still big players? I used to spend a lot of time repairing kit many years ago and they were one I used to see a lot of.
Uniden were really only into CBs that I know of. In the FM CB days there were mostly two types of rdios, Uniden chassis and Amstrad chassis. Different front panels but two main board inside.
I was an amstrad man as they had, IMO, better rx and better outgoing audio. Uniden were less sensitive which is probably why theyhad a good rep for strong signal handling. But the outgoing audio was too bassy for mypreference.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I think it was a 10 meter Uniden that I used to see a lot of, As well as replacing output transistors I often had to replace a couple of caps on the PLL as they were notorious for wandering slightly off frequency.

I did do a lot of CB radios back in the day. Often illegal mods too, like adding a couple of extra channels at the top end, or fitting mod kits to Cobras to add 27mhz band to them. There were quite a few brands back then and I am sure your memory is far better than mine. I was a student at the time and it was really just a way to fund my student bar billL I moved on to buying TVs and videos from the local tip, repairing them and flogging them to students as it was more reliable income. Also did photography for a couple of estate agents, that was profitable back then.

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Cobra 148gtl-dx was the ssb CB to have, same chassis I believe as the superstar 360.
I had the Cobra. I don't recall selling it but I did sell all my CB stuff. The only think I couldn't part with was my beloved DHX27, the progressively wound 5/8 version of the DV27 mobile vertical.

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Ha! I have seen some fantastically expensive kit. I'm no the path more for scientific/nerdy understanding than calling DX calls across the planet
What sort of nerdy things? There's plenty to choose from!

Andy 0

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
M7BNM

At last!

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
M7BNM

At last!
Cool, nice one.
I recommend setting up an entry on qrz.com
It helps people know you are legit, and where to point beams at.

Andy 0

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Cheers Tenchy.

At the moment I only have a Baofeng Uv5r and a Kenwood 2m business radio (full VHF band and I've programmed in the offset and tone) I've a ton of UHF handheld units but getting in on 70cm to my nearest repeater with 4W might be a challenge.

I've been monitoring the local 2m repeater so I might try and get in for a chat later this evening.

First call was on VHF calling channel but I gather it isn't very popular plus I'm in a small town.

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Cheers Tenchy.

At the moment I only have a Baofeng Uv5r and a Kenwood 2m business radio (full VHF band and I've programmed in the offset and tone) I've a ton of UHF handheld units but getting in on 70cm to my nearest repeater with 4W might be a challenge.

I've been monitoring the local 2m repeater so I might try and get in for a chat later this evening.

First call was on VHF calling channel but I gather it isn't very popular plus I'm in a small town.
Cool. The repeaters have all changed since 'my day'.
USed to be a simple toneburst to get them to open up. Now it's all different CTSS or summat. I think I got my Baofang doing it, but never got any reply. I have spoken to people on the local repeater when it was already open.
You used to be able to drive all day and open all repeaters in range with the tone burst, now you have to research them!