• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

An Odonata Day

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I spent a couple of hours at some local pools shooting the many dragonflies and damsels that were about, probably 8 different species currently on the one site.

First is a Willow Emerald. This was high in the trees as they always seem to be for me. While I would rather have used my macro kit, I did my best with the superb Canon 100-400II on my 7DII. It was about a meter away and almost filled the frame. Probably my favourite damsel of all the UK species.

A55A3917-Edit-Edit.jpg

Next is a Southern Hawker, again with the 100-400II/7D2 as are all the following flight shots. This species is inquisitive and comes up to you when you arrive in its territory. However, it does not stay still making it a challenge.

A55A3783-Edit-Edit.jpg

This Darter, like all Darters, are probably the most challenging of all the true dragonflies we have in the UK to get an in flight shot of. Their name says it all, the little gits do not hover but zip around all over the place.

A55A3819-Edit.jpg

Here is a Male Common (I think) Hawker preparing to dock with a female as you can see from its rear end. They are probably the easiest species to get in flight as they hover, hanging in the air exactly the same way bricks don't. You can often get up to 10 seconds to nab a shot before they move.

A55A4089-Edit.jpg

And finally, a female Common Darter. This was with the 80D/EF-S 60mm and twin flash. She sat and posed on a gate for quite a few shots and this was my favourite.

IMG_6513-Edit.jpg

All shots are taken handheld using manual focus. I find for subjects like theses, and using my setup it improves my keeper rate, especially with the flight shots as the AF often misses totally unless I can track the subject under a focus point.

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Super set Phill, love the smooth creamy BGs the 100-400 gives.
Like you I find manual focus is the only way to go when it comes to flight shots and even then that darter in flight is superb not quite sure how you managed it.
Well done! even if that is quite an understatement.:first:

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Super set Phill, love the smooth creamy BGs the 100-400 gives.
Like you I find manual focus is the only way to go when it comes to flight shots and even then that darter in flight is superb not quite sure how you managed it.
Well done! even if that is quite an understatement.:first:
Thanks Ryan. Had a really enjoyable and productive session today, just too blooming hot. Only managed a couple of hours before needing some air con.

Taboo

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Terrific shots! Lovely set.

David_MC

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Superb images Phill!

Stephen F

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
That is a fantastic set of images , i know just how difficult in flight shots are to get so well done .

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

Mj224

Old Hand
Photography Experience