• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Angry from Hertfordshire

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Today I received a letter from my lease company. Not an ordinary, friendly letter, but notification of a penalty charge. The charge in question was for supposedly parking in my local Tesco for 7hrs and 35 mins. That day I visited the store in the morning to fill up with petrol. I visited at 8:36 according to my company fuel card statement. Yet the buggers have me going in at 9:38 so they cannot even get the start time right.

I then left, drove to work and parked there. After a few hours I drove to one of our other sites to do some IT stuff. Myself and my colleague only stayed there for a couple of hours as the snow started to get heavy so we headed for our homes. On the way home I dropped into Tesco to get some milk, over 7 hours since my previous visit. Yet the buggers only seem to have both attendances down as one visit.

So should I pay the fine plus the charge my car lease company make for passing on the paperwork. Or should I fight it? Both work sites I visited have video evidence of my car during the alleged times but due to GDPR getting copies is not going to be easy. My fuel card statement proves the charge notice is wrong for a start. I can also get colleagues to write statements for me saying I was at work with my car. Will this be enough? I have never had a notice before so don’t know how it works. Really am miffed and very sweary at the moment as a result.

Jason

Always on
Premium Member
You have a right to appeal to the company issuing the pcn. It generally has to be done in writing, (email is ok.) They should suspend the fine process while they investigate. (A lot of parking companies give a ‘discount’ if you pay quickly. This should go on hold as well.) If you’ve evidence the car was elsewhere then I can’t see why they shouldn’t cancel the fine.

Is the appeal process outlined on the fine/letter?

rebel06

Looking for a cause.
I would definitely NOT be paying the fine if it were me ... If I know I am in the right I will not be persuaded/threatened/cajoled otherwise.
Paul

JAH-WAR

Always on
Premium Member
I'd never, ever pay a so called parking fine from any private company. My understanding is that (in law) what they send you is more of an invoice than a fine. I'd call them up (and I have done on a few occasions in similar circumstances) and tell them to do one. I've never had to pay one yet and wont.

rebel06

Looking for a cause.
Just a thought .. .was both your front and rear number plates clean and easy to read.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Cheers all. My number plate was not perfectly clean. In the morning it should have been clear, on the second visit it was snowing really heavily so may not have recorded so well. The “out” pic was barely readable in the copy they sent me. Surely any sane court would realise that no male would spend 7 and a half hours shopping. If it was one of my teenage daughters on the other hand...

Evidence wise, getting security footage myself from work and the other third party site I visited might prove difficult.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
CCTV is amazingly hard to get. Today I collected a copy of the fire register from the second location I visited, signed by their security and giving the times I arrived and left. However, to get their security footage requires a shed load of effort. A colleague who drove behind me from site A to site B at work that day has signed a letter. Security from site A are also putting something together for me. Hopefully by the end of play today I will have gathered enough evidence to shove it back to them where the sun doesn't shine.

What really annoyed me was when I called the parking company asking for copies of the tapes from around both times I was told I would need to pay a huge fee and get a court order. It took all my restraint to not loose my temper.

Jason

Always on
Premium Member
If the site uses ANPR and the weather was bad, it sounds to me like the system has missed one of your entries to or exits from the site and thinks you were there all day. The place I work had has ANPR and it happens quite often in bad weather.

Does your colleague who followed you between work sites have dashcam footage?

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Sadly he doesn't. As for ANPR, I actually work with some people who wrote software for the national system.

paulmag

Always on
Honorary Life Member
Its not a fine its a charge.........go to arbitration if you need to challenge the charge in writing with whatever you have they should back off if you have evidence of being elsewhere it doesnt need to be video but you can say there is video.

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
I'd never pay it either. I'd try a civil conversation laying out the facts and if that got sticky I'd ask for someone higher up the food chain and if still no joy I'd ask for their address and go knocking on doors and threatening! Progress to nails in tyres of the md if that still doesn't work :roll:

Also I'd explain the sitiation to the lease firm and ask that they do not under any circumstance pay the charge.

balami

Always on
Premium Member
This happens a lot just down the road from you at the Enfield Retail Park. Lots of examples of cars visiting two days separately and then being accused of staying overnight.

Clearly the cameras are at fault.

Don't pay. Appeal by the usual processes and fight it all the way. They don't stand a chance.

You will also find your local Tesco store manager quite sympathetic, so he may be able to tell the parking company to cancel the ticket.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
The whole parking thing to me has gone way too far. I know of at least one road where I live that has parking restrictions simply because a local councillor lives there and got the hump about others using HIS road. The street I live in has speed cushions. Again, a councillor that lives in this road campaigned for them and for the last 6 years it has been no problem. That same councillor has now bought a Ferrari and it will not go over the speed cushions. We watch him out there trying to get his car out of the road, he has to use lumps of wood to get his car over each of the bumps. It is a jot to watch. Guess what, he has submitted plans to have those same bumps removed.

We are now in many towns at a situation where we cannot park near anything. Roads are overcrowded because of parking restrictions. And this has left the door open for parking firms to rip us all off.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Good news, today the parking fine has been dropped and no further action will be taken. So many thanks to all of you that gave advice as it really helped me get this sorted so quickly. My next step is to invoice the parking company for my time and costs. I have been charged by my leasing company because of this and have had to put a few hrs of effort into getting it resolved. I see no reason why I should end up out of pocket for their mistake.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
(raises hand) I have a question: huh? More specifically....it seems you lease your car and they got a notice to pay a parking fee on private property and not you? I would assume this is all because the registration on cars over there remains with the leasing company?

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
It does Don. The leasing company are the registered owners of the car and I am the registered keeper. So the first check the parking companies do with the DVLA (Driver & Vehicle Licencing Agency) is for the owner.

rebel06

Looking for a cause.
Good news, today the parking fine has been dropped and no further action will be taken. So many thanks to all of you that gave advice as it really helped me get this sorted so quickly. My next step is to invoice the parking company for my time and costs. I have been charged by my leasing company because of this and have had to put a few hrs of effort into getting it resolved. I see no reason why I should end up out of pocket for their mistake.
Go for it .... tell them that you will be telling your story to the local newspapers in 72 hours if you don't here back from them... .oh and tell them you will give them a discount if they pay up promptly.