• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Antelope Canyon, Arizona.

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Wonderful photo.
It is a magical place, I have been privileged to visit both upper and lower canyons, best to try and lag behind the tour group to get images without the hoards of people around.
Do you have any with those wonderful light beams in?

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Good shot. I'm guessing the long story involves the bedlam that is the reality in there. Done upper (I think it's upper) twice and lower once, also done a boat tour through where it ends up.
Amazing place.

Paul Mitchell

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Well to answer both your questions. There was a light beam, but another group was shooting it and we had to move past it. I paid extra for a photography tour which mean you had to have a tripod and actual camera, not a phone. They check this before they take you out to the Canyon. Its like an army manoeuvre where there are many groups in the Canyon. Each group has to stay with their guide. Non photography groups just get shuffled through. Photography groups allow the group ahead to clear an area, while at the same time holding back the groups behind for 2 or 3 minutes. Then we can set up our tripods and without getting in each others way take the shots we want. Since HDR is required having the tripod is a blessing. We grab our shots and then we move on to the next area. There are many non photo groups but only a couple of photography groups. It all works out if you play by the rules and stay with the guide. Sometimes stragglers will turn around with the open space left for the photographers. They quickly get yelled at and even the stubborn ones finally move on. It wasnt the best way to shoot the Canyon, but Id still do it again.

8692_3_4_5_EgoLR.jpg

Paul Mitchell

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Wonderful photo.
It is a magical place, I have been privileged to visit both upper and lower canyons, best to try and lag behind the tour group to get images without the hoards of people around.
Do you have any with those wonderful light beams in?
As I said prior there was one little light beam. But we couldnt get to it. The guide thought some trickling sand would suffice.

DSC_8634EgoLR.jpg

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Yep, trickling sand always look good.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Great photos.

Paul Mitchell

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Unfortunately I just learned that photography tours have been cancelled so no more tripods allowed, and no more empty spaces for 2 minute periods. Smaller group sizes, but more group numbers. Everybody will just be shuffled through the half mile walk through the place. The group guides wont be productive and helpful, they will be the guys pushing their group along to get through the Canyon ASAP.

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Unfortunately I just learned that photography tours have been cancelled so no more tripods allowed, and no more empty spaces for 2 minute periods. Smaller group sizes, but more group numbers. Everybody will just be shuffled through the half mile walk through the place. The group guides wont be productive and helpful, they will be the guys pushing their group along to get through the Canyon ASAP.
That's a real shame, that's going to ruin it for photographers ... rushing the punters through like that.
A couple of my images looking up (hope you don't mind me including here).
31929764646_870e9ac783_c.jpg
31593026130_65f09cca77_c.jpg

Paul

Paul Mitchell

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
My upview looks so dull now. hahaha

SC PHOTO

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Wonderful images of the canyon!
This is discouraging news, These Cyn's are about 4 hours drive from my residence and I have never been there.
I have photographed a lot of the surrounding area but never in the canyons. I do know that there are other slot canyons, not as well known as these.
They are sparsely strewn throughout the SW. Quite dangerous canyons, even Antelope can be deadly. Makes for a nice adventure....
This area is ALL Navajo Tribal Lands, and many sacred areas they are looking to preserve.
Just like "The Wave" and "Coyote Buttes" requires permits to enter the area. For many years they have only allowed 20 permits per day. As of Feb. this year, 64 per day.
The Paria Plateau is a wonderous place to photograph. Remote, unforgiving vastness. I was on the Plateau some years back. we drove for 3 hours to reach "White Pocket", never saw another vehicle the entire 2 days there.
Looks like we need to find another source for Slot Canyon images..

Paul Mitchell

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Lucky you to be living so close to so many great photographic places. Ive seen other slot canyons that look very similar to Antelope, however they werent jam packed with people. I suppose if you find the right guide to get you to those less known spots it would be worth the money. My travelling buddy died last Christmas so if I ever do get back to Arizona I will be doing just that.