• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Any Ideas on a Replacement Flash?

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Right, this afternoon my YN-24EX twin macro flash kicked the bucket. Suddenly it in manual mode it started firing at full power and in ETTL it doesn't seem to be metering at all as the images are barely lit. Now it is getting a buzzing sound when recycling, exactly the same thing that happened to my last YN-24EX. Last time I still had a few weeks left on my warranty and the unit got sent off to China for a few months and they replaced it, no such luck this time.

I really need some decent lighting to continue using my Raynox but I have no faith in the Yongnuo and won't be risking my money again, twice bitten and all that. Ideally any flash would be a twin but I was wondering what anyone else would advise that you have tried. I seem to recall a member had an twin led light on flexi arms a while back but I cannot recall who or find the thread. I don't want to spend the money the Canon version seems to command, even used. Part of me thinks using 2 wireless speedlights on a rigid twin arm bracket might be an idea but wonder if it will be too bulky.

Any ideas gratefully received, cheers!

Classicbiker

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I use Godox stuff they seem to cater for everyone

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Godox are a good brand, I have two speedlights, but think they only do a macro ring flash Ryan, not your YN-24EX type.

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I use Godox stuff they seem to cater for everyone
Cheers been looking a their catalogue as someone from my camera club swears by them too.
Godox are a good brand, I have two speedlights, but think they only do a macro ring flash Ryan, not your YN-24EX type.
Thanks Brian, godox look good as a brand but I'm really not a fan of the circular catch light rings produce and adding diffusion can be awkward. Their continuous mini lights have potential but they will never have the power of a speedlight.

I was thinking of using 2 270ex II flashes mounted on flexi arms and controlled by a transmitter, would that work as I have never tried to control 2 flashes at once in camera or via a transmitter? Or some other super compact flash head anyone can think of? Or would that be way too powerful?

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Cheers been looking a their catalogue as someone from my camera club swears by them too.

Thanks Brian, godox look good as a brand but I'm really not a fan of the circular catch light rings produce and adding diffusion can be awkward. Their continuous mini lights have potential but they will never have the power of a speedlight.

I was thinking of using 2 270ex II flashes mounted on flexi arms and controlled by a transmitter, would that work as I have never tried to control 2 flashes at once in camera or via a transmitter? Or some other super compact flash head anyone can think of? Or would that be way too powerful?
With Godox certainly you can control two speedlights at once Ryan, its the same with all brands I think, but not sure even at the lowest setting it may be too powerful IMO.

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
With Godox certainly you can control two speedlights at once Ryan, its the same with all brands I think, but not sure even at the lowest setting it may be too powerful IMO.
Might be right, been looking at one of these but even they are out of my price range right now. https://meikeglobal.com/collections...r-canon-ef-mount-rf-mount-digital-slr-cameras

I then started seeing what I could about the house to adapt one of my other speedlights. Ended up making a pringle can diffuser and I think I have found a solution for the time being until I can save for the Meike or they drop in price a bit.
Here is a preliminary test shot from the DIY diffuser.
5P8A1591-denoise1010.jpg

Cropped into the only hotspot noticeable, haven't lost anything I couldn't fix with a clone/ patch tool.
5P8A1591-denoiseCrop.jpg

Classicbiker

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Might be right, been looking at one of these but even they are out of my price range right now. https://meikeglobal.com/collections...r-canon-ef-mount-rf-mount-digital-slr-cameras

I then started seeing what I could about the house to adapt one of my other speedlights. Ended up making a pringle can diffuser and I think I have found a solution for the time being until I can save for the Meike or they drop in price a bit.
Here is a preliminary test shot from the DIY diffuser.
View attachment 322046

Cropped into the only hotspot noticeable, haven't lost anything I couldn't fix with a clone/ patch tool.
View attachment 322047
wow that's incredible detail

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
wow that's incredible detail
Thanks, its not bad for a single frame shot but at f22 diffraction has set in pretty heavily, still trying to get a lower aperture stack to work with the raynox but no joy thus far.

Classicbiker

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks, its not bad for a single frame shot but at f22 diffraction has set in pretty badly, still trying to get a lower aperture stack to work with the raynox but no joy thus far.
I'm sure you will work it out. I assume you're shooting at f22 for DOF or is the flash too powerful?

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I assume you're shooting at f22 for DOF or is the flash too powerful?
Correct, I have to turn the flash up with this diffuser so its not a power issue. Its just the wind at the moment, either I move, the insect moves or the wind moves its perch. I really need a nice still day for a stack.

choccy

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I'm hoping to buy a flash next week myself, which is a Godex for my Fuji x-T4

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Any ideas gratefully received, cheers!
Did you notice @Tony Mancini new post?

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Did you notice @Tony Mancini new post?

lol, speak of the devil and suddenly one is up for sale... :grin: Maybe at the end of the month if @Tony Mancini still hasn't sold it yet, got to see how much is left in the coffers after bills although I might make suggestive sounds at the missus as it is my 40th...

Tony Mancini

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
No hurry Ryan can hold it for you till the end of the month if you want it ? As I said I am replacing it with the Sony version. It genuinely does beat the Yongnuo hands down, can not fault it
On a scale of 1 to 10 condition wise its a 10.
You've seen the results it produces ...
regards
Tony :grin:

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
No hurry Ryan can hold it for you till the end of the month if you want it ? As I said I am replacing it with the Sony version. It genuinely does beat the Yongnuo hands down, can not fault it
On a scale of 1 to 10 condition wise its a 10.
You've seen the results it produces ...
Thanks Tony, I want it and its a good price but I can't make any promises until the end of the month so if you get an offer elsewhere in the mean time I would take it as much as it would pain me. :)

Tony Mancini

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

Tony Mancini

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Any update re the flash Ryan ? ;) :)

Last edited:

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks Tony, I want it and its a good price but I can't make any promises until the end of the month
Sorry for jumping in here, Tony. The notification system in this forum is all messed up and currently the only way a member gets a notice is if they are quoted.
So, @RyanB ?

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Any update re the flash Ryan ?
Almost, payday should be happening at midnight tonight Tony so I will have a look and let you know tomorrow.
The notification system in this forum is all messed up
I got both notifications from Tony's reply and your quote Roger so its not messed up as far as I have seen. Of course I wouldn't know if I missed any other notifications that did not come through as per usual.

Tony Mancini

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)