1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Are Mamiya ZM lenses radioactive?

Discussion in 'Film and Vintage Forum' started by mamiya_rz67, Mar 27, 2017.

1. mamiya_rz67

mamiya_rz67 Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    After buying a vintage Mamiya 1000 DTL 35mm camera with a 55mm lens that I found out was radioactive (I never even knew that vintage lenses were sometimes made with radioactive materials!), I'm a bit paranoid now.

I own a Mamiya ZM 35mm camera with 50mm Mamiya-Sekor E lens. It does not have the characteristic yellowing of radioactive glass and doesn't show up on lists of known radioactive lenses, but I would just like to double-check.

Thanks you!

2. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hello and welcome to the forum.
    The Mamiya 50mm f/1.8 was measured and tops out at 0.42 μSv/h for radioactivity in the front element, and 1.164 μSv/h for the rear element. Apparently it was identified as thorium-232 in the glass. However, the tests came back as negative when the lenses were attached to the camera as the metal body shielded any radiation.

OK, next trivia question? ;)

mikew likes this.
  3. mamiya_rz67

mamiya_rz67 Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks, but the lens I have is 50mm f/2, not f/1.8. It is not an M42 mount lens. It is a Z-mount lens. The design of the markings on the lens are similar to my Mamiya 645 Pro, so I'm guessing they were made around the same time.

4. paulmag

paulmag Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  5. lundrog

lundrog Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Likely the rad fallout is less than a couple feet. Just don't stare into the lens with out glasses for hours at a time... or sleep with it in your pocket... with a lens caps you'll block any rad as well.

6. Agiledogs

Agiledogs Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Besides the list of lenses there is some great info in here....Especially concerning eye-pieces. Corneas are especially sensitive to the types of radiation emitted from the lenses and eye pieces. In general the camera and lens case should offer general protection when in use and when in storage. Note also that the alpha and beta particles are also blocked by the deal layer of skin so the only true worry would be in the case of the eye pieces due to the effects upon the cornea.

If you have one of these lenses though here are some huge never do's.

"spit shine"...dab a cloth on your tongue and clean the lens. subsequent dabs would bring potential particles indie the bodies natural layer of protection
    Clean using any type of blower device as exposed dust particles can be inhaled....instead use something like a damp cleaning cloth

This should provide you more than adequate protection from any throrium impurities from the lens.

Keep in mind that on contact they are talking about levels being 10 mR

There are 1000 mR in 1 REM

It takes at least 10 REM in a single dose to produce any real notable effects.

As mentioned you get as much from an xRay as you would sleeping with the lens elements touching your chest for 1 hour.

7. slipper

slipper Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Definite hi viz jacket required.??

Ramble Vision likes this.
  8. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    three man crew and rescue hoist for sure :)

slipper likes this.