1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Are there any genuine free website hosting services?

Discussion in 'What Works For You & Post Your Website Forum' started by Miqs, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Miqs

Miqs Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I want to create my own web site and would like to know if there are any genuine free website hosting services that include a site builder? Never having done this before, and until I know how good a designer I am, a free site builder is important.

2. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I remember form back in my free site days, that 000Webhost was pretty good. I haven't tried them lately though.

3. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The free option from WIX is pretty good and using their site builder is pretty straight forward.

4. Ogofmole

Ogofmole Always on Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  5. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    There are a few as mentioned. I would imagine all have some sort of ad somewhere though?
    I pay for hosting for mine but it's only something stupid like £2.50 a month and it is unlimited. I can install WordPress or the other major player (forget name) etc. I have 2 main sites of mine on there(links in my signature), a couple of hardly used ones of mine, and I also host a couple of other people's sites.
    I get it from unlimitedwebhosting I think.
    You can ftp in etc, pretty much free hand, so you can hand write your own code and upload it too, which you'll not get on most of the free builder style ones. I also store some stuff there but I think they will spot if you try to use it as a cloud storage. If I want to link to a document or big image I bung it in a folder and link to that.

6. Ogofmole

Ogofmole Always on Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes, weebly put a small ad at very bottom of page, so I do not find in intrusive.

7. Footski

Footski Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I am going to give Weebly a go later, for a friend who wants to start a small business website...We shall see.

8. Miqs

Miqs Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    If you register with Weebly do you have a personalised email address or come with a Weebly dot suffix i.e. www.user.weebly.com or just www.user.com?

I now see if you go for free it has weebly.com subdomain so you have to have the £5 month pricing to avoid this.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2017
  9. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I've been building websites for many years and what I can say is that with hosting is you get what you pay for.

With free stuff, there's always a caveat to it, either they'll push adverts in to the frame, the domain is so long and convoluted that folk wouldn't remember it, some redirect search traffic back to their main sell pages so the eyeballs go to where you don't want (that's if they allow search engines to spider the site) or the systems are crippled somehow in terms of either older or basic versions of scripting languages, minimal database access, limited traffic per period.

With the price of hosting now-a-days, it's not worth trying to save a few quid a month on not getting something paid because it could easily cost a lot more than a few quid a month if you're trying to make money from it!

Phill104 likes this.
  10. Miqs

Miqs Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes thanks I am beginning to realise that. I am an amateur photographer and just wanted to promote myself and see where it went. I have been looking at WordPress for some time but found the setup a little confusing but will continue. Their basic scheme is something to start on, although as you say the domain name will be extended unless I invest in an upgrade. As my first attempt looking at website design and hosting I find it quite daunting!

11. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It is very, very daunting to start off with; I'd say a lot more so now than when I started building HTML pages back in the last millennium because there's a lot more technology in what constitutes a website now.

As for cutting your teeth with it, I think that out of a lot of the packages that are available to manage a website Wordpress is about the easiest there is and there are many beginners guides to what to do out there for it.

12. Rob Hudson

Rob Hudson Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'm also going through the same process of looking to start a wbesite, but have very little to invest in it right now. So I will be exploring a few options seen here. I've seen these posts are all from around ten months ago, so do you have any feedback on progression/how things turned out?

Also, a question for everyone: I would eventually like to give my 'company' a creative name. Is better to go with that and try to create a brand image, or stick to using your own name for ease and recognition?

13. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi Rob and welcome to the forum .. . sorry I can't help you with your website question but hopefully someone will ....
    Meanwhile why not pop over to the "Who are you" thread and say hello and introduce yourself to the members......
    Link here ... https://www.photography-forum.org/forums/who-are-you.171/

Paul

14. Rob Hudson

Rob Hudson Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks for the link Paul!

15. VooDoo

VooDoo Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Lets think about this for a moment - you are going to start a business website - do you really think people will trust a mysite.weebly.com address as being serious - I wouldnt.
    You can get website hosting for about 1 pound a week on a shared server. Places like weebly, wix etc you are then carrying advertising for them - and making them money. Plus it is usually an advert for someone in your niche.
    So a website about photographers - will carry adverts that also work in the same niche. I'd pay the money and do it right - you'll only end up re doing it later

Rob Hudson likes this.
  16. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Shootproof is free for up to 100 photographs.

The catch though is that the SEO is non existent. I cannot find myself on Google even if I add shootproof to the search!

I'd suggest that many others are like this too especially where you have to add flickr or whatever to the searching. If people cannot find you they won't buy from you.

TheImageFile is worth looking at - many of these photography website companies like this (SmugMug is another) offer a 30 day trial where you can tweak and change the website and much of the work is done for you.

Here's my effort after only a week of playing around:
    ss2.jpg