• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Arial Photography with a Drone?

Pete.Bony

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Just a thought, with so many people taking up flying drones why not have a section for drone photography. I'm sure that I'm not the only member that flies a drone and uses it for both Ariel Videos and Photographs so it might be good to be able to chat to other photographers about Drone Photography.
Any thoughts anyone!

Mj224

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Good idea. Not sure how many of us use drones though.

Pete.Bony

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Good idea. Not sure how many of us use drones though.
True we don't know how many use drones but it would be interesting to find out! I started with an Upair One but have now upgraded to a DJI Mini 2 which offers much better performance and better quality photographs and videos.

Classicbiker

Old Hand
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The legal implications of flying them in public places put me off buying one to be honest.

winchestergoose

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Yes well I have toyed with idea of buying a drone , a section for drone photography is a very good idea .

Mj224

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The mini 2 is hard to beat. And can be flown almost anywhere without exams etc. I bought one for my son who is trying to get a drone business started.

To fly in public places, you need to pass an exam and understand rules. If you are 150 metres from people and buildings, you are free as a bird so to speak.

At the mo, we all fly legacy drones, I have a Mavik Air (1) which allows me to fly within 50 metres of the above, as I have my drone flying exam.

I do some flying for a local Wildlife park, when they are updating ponds etc. Also help out with student projects

Mj224

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
DJI_0139_stitch (Custom).jpg

A mosaic made up from about 50 photos, flying at 60 metres..​

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I have updated the moderators and admins on this. I do not think we get very many people posting drone photos, so it may not be needed yet.

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I got one as a present a year ago now and only flown it a few times out of fear of the rules and the fact we have an airforce base right down the road.

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I got one as a present a year ago now and only flown it a few times out of fear of the rules and the fact we have an airforce base right down the road.
I'm in about the same position. We have a local airport about a kilometre away, and two airports within 15 kilometres that host airforce jets. When the jets travel between those two, they fly at around 500 feet right over my house. I'm scared to put the drone in the air right here.

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
When the jets travel between those two, they fly at around 500 feet right over my house. I'm scared to put the drone in the air right here.
Same here, the base is about a mile away but the pilots use a road junction beside us as a landmark in their runway approach.

Mj224

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Well if you use a DJI drone, they just won't fly in those nearby areas, their software stops you. Also common sense.

And you may want to fly somewhere that has good landscape etc, not necessarily from your home..

But you do whats comfortable with you..:)

Classicbiker

Old Hand
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Interesting rules in the UK
As a former radio control pilot of years gone by the new restrictions on altitude killed off a lot of glider flying ( thermal soaring) so I quit., not the only reason though.

winchestergoose

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I am thinking of buying the Marvic Air 2 FlyMore Combo. I dont have an airport close but I do have lots of wonderful land and sea scapes at my front door. Any comments on the model under consideration welcomed .

Pete.Bony

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
If like me you fly a sub 250g drone the laws and restrictions are not too bad so you can still find plenty of places to fly. You still need to know the laws regarding flying drones in the UK though. I started with an Upair One which was quite large and heavy so I got registered as an operator and I also got my flyers registration - To pass the test is not too hard and much of it is about safety and common sense, it's a 40 question multiple answer online test which you have to score a minimum of 30, I scored 37/40 and I'm no mastermind so don't be put off!

Mj224

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I am thinking of buying the Marvic Air 2 FlyMore Combo. I dont have an airport close but I do have lots of wonderful land and sea scapes at my front door. Any comments on the model under consideration welcomed .
As I have said, I use a Mavik Air (1). I have seen the Mavik Air 2 fly, and it is an impressive drone. it has a good flying time, and a super camera. So you won't go too far wrong. Unsure of your drone flying regs, but here we take an exam, and have to register the beast. The Mavik Mini is below the 250 gram weight, so is able to fly in more congested areas, thus is worth considering, It has a good camersa and a good flight duration...

Pete.Bony

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I don't have any experience with a Mavic air 2 but I am led to believe that there is little difference between the Mavic Air 2 and the DJI Mini 2. I have been using a Mini 2 (Under 250g flying weight so less restricted than the bigger drones) for the last few months and I really can not fault it. I would suggest that you look at the reviews for both on youtube (There are some pretty good and in depth reviews available) before you make your choice. I am not sure about the difference in price between the two but I managed to get my DJI Mini 2 Flymore combo (Pre-owned but in excellent condition) for just £400 and I don't regret a single penny of that price! The one thing that I would suggest is that whatever drone you get you make sure that you use a good quality SD card in it - I use a Sandisk Extreme in mine which seems to give very good results for both videos and Photographs.

davmil52

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Just a thought, with so many people taking up flying drones why not have a section for drone photography. I'm sure that I'm not the only member that flies a drone and uses it for both Ariel Videos and Photographs so it might be good to be able to chat to other photographers about Drone Photography.
Any thoughts anyone!
It certainly adds another dimension to photography. I dont have one have considered getting one so I would read any forum comments.

Pete.Bony

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Here's a short video that I put together from a visit to my local trout fishery on Friday. I only went there to see how it was fishing but had the drone with me so put it in the air for a little while and quickly put the video together in Windows Movie Maker.
If you look at it on full screen you can count the trout, and that is without a polarising filter of any enhancement!

davmil52

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Great which drone do you use? Thanks

Ayrshire Bob

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I like some of you have considered having a drone, but it's getting a bit technical with regards to the laws.

Pete.Bony

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Great which drone do you use? Thanks
I use a DJI Mini 2 all the time now. It does everything that I want of it, is a pleasure to fly and being under 250g it can be flown legally almost anywhere. It's not the cheapest but I wouldn't hesitate the DJI Mini 2 recommending it to anyone!
Here are a few of the photos I took with the Min i 2 while I was up at the fishery. I did not use any filters and the only work that has been done on them in Photoshop is resizing to fit on this forum: The last one (If I remember rightly) was taken at the maximum permitted altitude of 400 feet.
Photo_6553621_DJI_21_jpg_4459430_0_20211015113620_photo_original.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Stephen F

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I think a dedicated section for drone photography would be a great idea as i think there are a few on hear that use drones and it is just another tool in the armory, unless you are going to fly for commercial purposes the rules are not that difficult to get your head round especially if you use a sub 250 gram drone. There are lots of instruction etc on you tube and flying a drone opens up a whole new world for you and you can see thing that you cant see from ground level. In my case i discovered an ancient village under the snow that you cant see very well normally, so that sent me of on another tangent to find out as much about it as possible . I am also trying to document the growth of the village where i live as there is a whole new estate going to be built + other building of new builds . At the moment i fly a Mavic pro with 12mp stills in raw and 4k video , i am also doing my A2 C of C qualification with UAV hub where they give you the coarse for free to do at your own pace and when you are ready you book your exam and pay and the qualification lasts for 5 years , this allows you more freedom with the heavier drones like the mavic's and phantoms.

20211009-DJI_0014.jpg

Only about 20ft up

20211009-DJI_0029.jpg

Grantham looking north to Newark and trent vally20211009-DJI_0029-Pano.jpg

4 Image stitch showing all of Grantham

Jpeg -018.jpg

The hidden village that i have found out is , or was the village of Twyford so i now know where they got the name for the big forestry plantation outside the village. if walking across this field on the public footpath unless you know this is there you wont see it. It cant be seen on google earth either.

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Interesting rules in the UK
As a former radio control pilot of years gone by the new restrictions on altitude killed off a lot of glider flying ( thermal soaring) so I quit., not the only reason though.
I flew from the mid 90's and we were still restricted to 400 feet even back then. I'm pretty sure we just ignored it. I flew 2 metre pattern ships for a while and I'm sure keeping a competition schedule under 400 ft was impossible.

Tony Mancini

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Here's a short video I filmed a while back with my Mavic 2 Pro (pre Covid)
It was over a huge farm I had permission from the farmer/landowner to metal detect on.
I was still learning what to do with the drone etc. etc. (still am :whistle3: )

Awesome bit of kit, max top speed of 72kph (45mph) in sport mode ...... :oops:

Mavic Pro 2.jpg

Full spec below

Two more images from when we had the floods back in November 2019 here in Gloucester when the River Severn caused mayhem
(not sure as to if I've posted these up in the past ?)

Tirley, Glos. taken on DJI Mavic 2 Pro drone by Tony Mancini, on Flickr

Tirley, Glos. 2_Mavic 2 Pro by Tony Mancini, on Flickr

Last edited: