1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Astro Photography Tips

Discussion in 'Photography Tips, Tricks & Tutorials Forum' started by Zola, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Just after a collection of thoughts on how you shoot the night sky. I have recently bought a 12mm Samyang f/2.0 lens which I am keen to try on a clear night when the milky way is overhead etc.

I have done a few shots before of stars in general, with mixed results.

What are your tips when shooting the night sky?

I am aware of the 500 rule - 12mm/500 = 24 seconds for shutter time as a rough guide to avoid star trails etc.

I found that having the aperture at 2.0 and focusing on the brightest star with focus magnifier and leaving it open for 20+ seconds with ISO of anything over 1000.... it basically looks like daytime! Would I be better dialing the ISO down to 200/300 and, or shortening the shutter time... its a bit of a puzzle.

How bright do you guys generally want your scene before you go to post processing?

2. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I think there may be a few more variables at play here than just ISO/Aperture/Shutter...

If there's the moon about then even if it's not in shot it's still going to be throwing a lot of light in to the image so that would be recorded as well, and also if there's other light pollution that would be coming in to it; then there's also the time too (though that varies the further north/south you are and time of year) due to the three phases of twilight (civil, nautical and astronomical) where what may look dark to the eye may not be dark to the camera.

3. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yeah the moon can blow out the stars in the sky. I take it most successful MW shots are taken around the new moon time?

Should the milkyway be shot during the astronomical hours for greatest impact?

4. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It's very rare I shoot it, even though I can sit out the back at night and see it!

Both those answers for me would be yes, and what I'd add as well (though this is me based on experience where I live) is shoot as late as possible in relation to sky position and time of night just so the air is cooler too.

Zola likes this.
  5. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Roger Clark over at www.clarkvision.com has some excellent advice regarding astrophotography. The information he presents is often overly-technical but I find much that is useful.

My advice is:
    1. shoot where there is no light pollution. Even at Monument Valley in southwest Utah, in the middle of the desert, I got light polution - so it is difficult to avoid.
    2. use a fast lens with aperture wide open. Your 12mm Samyang should do well.
    3. experiment with ISO - different cameras tolerate higher ISOs differently (Nikon generally and Canon's latest cameras do better with this). Once you found your highest ISO that has minimal noise, then...
    4. experiment with shutter speed. Choose the shutter speed where a star (a point light source) shows no stretching (trail). Ignore the 500 rule - it was created for film. The higher the sensor resolution, the less the 500 rule applies. Also, your position between the equator and the pole affects the relative speed the stars "move" as does which stars you are shooting.
    5. experiment with shooting multiple exposures, aligning the stars across the exposures, use photoshop to average the images (eliminating noise), and using editing Highlights and Shadows to improve contrast.

I recently shot a series of night sky photos using a 35mm f/1.4, ISO 1300, at 2 sec. shutter speed - any longer and I got star trails.

Zola likes this.
  6. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks Mike! Good info on that site and from yourself.

When you shoot do you generally want your capture to be dark or light, before post processing? I am just conscious of noise etc.

I also see some people seem to shoot the foreground at a different exposure, ISO etc and then another for the stars, then blend them together. How would I go about doing this?

7. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Some photographers shoot the foreground earlier in the day while there is still some light, then shoot the night sky after dark. This is an excellent technique when you are able to plan your shoot well in advance. I tend to discover my sites late in the process. I usually to shoot the foreground at a slower shutter speed to get the amount of detail I feel appropriate. I will shoot multiple frames and average the data to eliminate noise - this gives me a clean foreground (when I get it right).

For the dark sky frames, I'm just trying to get captures that are as close to single point light sources as possible. This means that the brightest stars are blown out, there are no star trails, and the natural sky colors come through. The images are dark. I now shoot 5 to 10 exposures (all the same exposure) and align the image layers in Photoshop and average to eliminate noise.

Zola likes this.
  8. Dbvanhorn

Dbvanhorn Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Light pollution: A Hoya red enhancer filter will help knock out the sodium streetlight glare. As they transition to LEDs, that will remove this handy solution so enjoy it while you can.

9. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It works very well with low pressure sodium lights, but isn't as successful with High pressure sodium lamps which are now in use here.

10. Dbvanhorn

Dbvanhorn Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yup. Still pretty effective but less so every year.

11. jameslford21

jameslford21 New Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)