1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Go Easy On Me Avon Descent 2018

Discussion in 'Sports & Action Photography Forum' started by Isac, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Isac

Isac Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The Avon Descent is a 124 km annual white water race held over two days in August which runs from Northam to Bayswater in Western Australia. This years event started out in heavy rain and cold weather which made it very difficult to get good photos. These were taken at Extracts Weir. I go to the event with another tog and he knows the owner of the property at the weir. We get a good vantage point which is on the opposite side of the weir from where the paparazzi are which is head on to the action. We are closer and to one side of the weir. We usually stay for the kayaks but this year, we only stayed for the power boats because of the lousy weather.
    Here's just a few shots of 100's I took. The rest are on my website at IsacImages in the "Special Events" if you want to take a look.
    0158-Avon-Descent-2018.jpg
    0192-Avon-Descent-2018.jpg
    0258-Avon-Descent-2018.jpg
    0278-Avon-Descent-2018.jpg
    0336-Avon-Descent-2018.jpg
    0717-Avon-Descent-2018.jpg

mike c and Mike Singh like this.
  2. Haripaul

Haripaul Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You've caught the action well. It does look like a dangerous sport but exciting.

3. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    No
    looks like fun. you have captured the action nicely. good work, number 5 looks like the boat wont have a hull for much longer :)

4. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  5. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Great action shots and well taken.

6. beersurgeon

beersurgeon Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Great action shots!

7. Isac

Isac Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks Haripaul. It's great to be there watching these brave souls crash over the rocks. It's a dangerous game but very few injuries.
    Thanks for looking Steve. There were some really loud bangs when they flew over the weir, they landed on submerged rocks but had enough speed to keep going.
    Cheers Mike, there is action a plenty.
    I appreciate you looking and commenting Roger - thanks.
    Thanks for that beersurgeon. It's a privilege to be able to capture these guys from close range and get the water flying all over the place.

8. Isac

Isac Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Just to show some action when the river is running very fast: These were a few of a crash on Extracts Weir in 2011. A sports photographer from the Western Australian Newspaper won the sports action shot for 2011 for the same crash. He was with the paparazzi front on to the boats but I reckon I got more of the action.
    #1 - Cautious approach.
    5235-Avon-Descent-2011-Crash.jpg
    #2 - Oops! we hit the pylon!
    5236-Avon-Descent-2011-Crash.jpg
    #3 - I guess we're gonna get wet!
    5237-Avon-Descent-2011-Crash.jpg
    #4 - Splash!!
    5238-Avon-Descent-2011-Crash.jpg
    #5 - Ouch!
    2653-Avon-Descent-2011-Crash.jpg

rebel06 likes this.
  9. Ozzie_Traveller

Ozzie_Traveller Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    G'day Isac

I thought it was a kayaking only event - hmmmm the things you find out
    and -
    It confirms what my Mum always told me as a teenager ... "that you don't have to be silly but it helps"

ps- great pics btw
    Phil from the great land Downunder

10. Phill104

Phill104 Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Lovely images, particularly the crash. Certainly looks like the river was in full flow.

11. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Wow that is white water. Loads of foam collecting too. Sure number 4 hasn't got his boat the best way up :)

12. Isac

Isac Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks Phil. We normally wait for the kayaks to come through but it was cold, wet and miserable so we packed it in after the power boats. It does help to be a bit bonkers I guess.
    The river was the highest in over 10 years Phill so it was very fast.
    Cheers Steve, I agree with the boats being the other way up - they tend to be able to get a bit more speed up and have the added bonus of being a lot more comfortable for the drivers :)

13. Pteranadon

Pteranadon Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Great action and nice job capturing them.
    Great Job Isac.

14. Isac

Isac Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Cheers for that Marc. It's pretty special to be allowed to go right next to the action.