1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Backup advice needed

Discussion in 'Photography Tips, Tricks & Tutorials Forum' started by Violaman, Jun 9, 2019 at 2:01 PM.

1. Violaman

Violaman Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have only got 274Gb of storage left on my desktop out of 1.8Tb and I am going through my photographs getting rid of lots of forgotten (it has surprised me the amount of dross which is just sitting there!) shots to create more space.

I realise that I could get a lot of space back by transferring all of my images to a Flash Drive or PhotoStick and then delete them from the computer. I do have everything backed up onto a Photostick but was thinking of duplicating the backup before getting rid of images just to be on the safe side.

Can anyone recommend the best way to achieve this, or indeed advise me of the best way to proceed if there is a better alternative.

Many thanks in advance.

Grumpy John likes this.
  2. Phill104

Phill104 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have a couple of TB to go through and prune. Every folder I’ve done so far about 90% gets culled. That for me is the best option.

When I built my latest machine I slapped in a 6Tb hdd as storage and it is half full. I reckon with time I an get that down to under 1Tb.

Backup wise, external HDDs either in the form of USB drives or a NAS is the easy way to go. You could also add a second HDD in your desktop if you have one of those. I use an external NAS which works for me but I am still lazy in doing the backups.

There is also online storage options available. Amazon Prime members get free storage, then there is Flickr and Google etc. Not sure I personally would want to rely on a service that I have to pay a subscription to. If for some reason my subs lapse my data is lost.

Violaman likes this.
  3. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I copy off my older photos to an external drive, a NAS in my case, ans only keep the last few years on my internal drive. I do this in Lightroom so that it knows where the photos I moved are.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Violaman likes this.
  4. Grumpy John

Grumpy John Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Have a read of this post.

Violaman likes this.
  5. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have over 90,000 photographs on my website and most are 165kb maximum size so you can imagine the memory used to keep a raw file version, dng version and frequently a jpeg version of each file too on my computer - an impossible task with only a 2tb hard drive.

I make extensive use of external disk drives - one version is the automatic Mac backup (Time Machine), a lazy but sometimes useful way of backing up, but the other is much more stable and this is a straight copy of photographs from the computer to the external drives. My Mac has a 2tb hard drive running at usually over 90% full so a fairly frequent exercise is to copy files and directories to external drives and delete the files off the hard drive but only after I have a copy backed up and checked.

I copy files to the external drives and once removed from Lightroom the software cannot find them. I have 2-3 main disks where the files are kept so "point" Lightroom to these dng files as and when necessary. While a little clunky it does work very well. Every few months or so I also copy/backup the Lightroom catalogue - I learned from a crash! The reason I keep raw and dng files is they're in different directories and on at least one occasion, where the dng backup has failed the raw has worked and vice versa. I do find that external disk drives are very reliable and have never had a failure - I have quite a heap of them, all unlabelled apart from one where the elastic band is still in tact ... :) - sometimes takes me forever to find an old file but other times it's really quick.

More relevant to many members who don't have such large quantities of files, I have some old family digital files backed up three times on different disks - there's a vast difference between a show jumping shot of a stranger and family photos from 10-15 years ago. Show jumping is so insignificant to losing memories of young family photographs.

One or two members keep copies of disks in different buildings in case of fire or something which is just about fail safe.

DwarvenChef, Grumpy John and Violaman like this.
  6. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    My 1TB drive on the Puter is full as can be. I plugged in a 3TB Gdrive hard drive to act as my main image working station, so far so good. I also have many protable portable 1TB hard drives that rotate out as back ups.

I always fear deleting any files...

Violaman likes this.
  7. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    @Grumpy John makes some good points in his thread identifying the routine he uses. The main point is to have multiple backups of important files whether they be system files or image files. Harddrives are cheap and SSD prices continue to drop.

Why I don't keep my backup drives on-line? Malware that encrypts all of your data and holds it hostage for a fee are still being produced. I keep my backup disks offline until I am ready to backup. I use top of the line virus protection that is also supposed to protect me from such attacks and I use Acronis True Image backup software that also protects you from these attacks.

Establishing a routine to protect what you own is always a good idea.

Violaman and Grumpy John like this.