1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Battery pack for speedlite

Discussion in 'Studio Lighting Forum' started by Shaunmbs, Jan 14, 2019 at 6:56 AM.

1. Shaunmbs

Shaunmbs Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi guys. Just wondering if any of you have a youngnuo 685 flash and have come across a suitably priced external battery pack. Also if you have, how would you rate this against a bag full of Panasonic eneloop Pro or IKEA batteries?

2. Ozzie_Traveller

Ozzie_Traveller Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    G'day Shaun

Some time ago I did a DIY project to bolt a large capacity 6volt battery for use with my Yongnuo flashguns for use in a stidio environment. These $8 batteries last for about 40 hours of use. If you would like a PDF of the 'how-to' pl give me a shout and I'll email it back to you. Have a sqwiz in my Profile for an email address

Phil

3. Phill104

Phill104 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Many of these Battery packs are designed to speed up recharge time allowing more flashes in a given period. My experience of this is considerably shotlife for the flash guns, particularly some of the economy models. My experience is not from using them like this myself, but repairing a few for friends.

I think I would be more inclined to look at what use these lights are for and see what other options may work. For instance, is there a studio light that may fit the bill better?

4. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I would not bother as with Phill104 comment, they would over heat the speedlight if you re!y on fast recycling.

If you are shooting a lot of shots, a studio flash would be better but if you want mobility i would go with 2 lights and alternate as, with my youngnuo 685's they over heat if you use them over long periods.

They look good but trash your speedlight's very quickly.

I shot a wedding a few weeks ago without problems but didn't abuse them by blasting for long periods.

5. Shaunmbs

Shaunmbs Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'm beginning to think it's best to arm myself with more batteries for such situations and stop the power down and compensate in camera for this. That way both batteries and spedlite should last longer.