1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Beginners lenses

Discussion in 'Photography & Camera Basics Forum' started by Rossef2, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Rossef2

Rossef2 Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi Everyone,

I'm Ross, I'm relatively new to photography but I try and take pictures when I'm going to scenic or different places.

I currently have a Nikon D3200, a Nikon 18-55 Lens (The standard one with the camera), and I bought a Tamron 10-24 (Wide lens) to take photos of Scenery when I went too Argentina. I'm planning a trip to Costa Rica where I'd like to take photos in the Jungle, animals and have the ability to zoom in on things which I can't do with my current set up.

I had initially asked Jessops about what type of lens they would recommend me and they suggested the type below because it has image stability etc.
    (Link removed by Admin) I'd be happy to pay around £300 pounds

2 - I don't think the Nikon lens that came with the camera is good quality and I would prefer not to be carrying something about that is limited and won't give good photos, so would you recommend getting something that could do from 18-300? For example this a Tamron 16-300 f3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD lens.

3 - If you were starting out again how you would manage your lenses and what you would buy?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2017
  2. paulmag

paulmag Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I would buy the best lens I couldnt afford.................

I found after many years that incremental upgrades to the lens you really want costs to much and creates to much disappointment.................I got around the cost by always buying used gear.

MikeB, tenchy, Andy 0 and 1 other person like this.
  3. caveman

caveman Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    A great suggestion look at 2nd hand

Andy 0 likes this.
  4. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Good quality lenses usually outlast the camera body, so they should be considered long-term investments in the hobby. The "kit" lenses that manufacturers provide with their new cameras are offered more to promote the camera than to provide a quality lens - there are usually better lenses available.

Four rules of thumb to consider for DSLRs. 1) The greater the focal length range of a zoom lens, the greater the complexity of the engineering, the greater the expense, and the more compromises in optical quality. This is why the best zooms tend to have a magnification ratio of 3x, or less, rather than something greater. 2) The faster the lens (the larger the aperture) the more expensive the lens. A fast lens will give you narrow depth of field and bokeh however most photos do not require either. Some of the best lenses for optical quality are f/4 lenses. 3) prime lenses are simpler to build giving the manufacturer the flexibility to build affordable, high quality lenses that are lighter and less expensive than zooms. 4) Nikon (and Canon) do not share their autofocus methodology with third-party lens manufacturers, consequently autofocus on these lenses often do not have the "hit" rate that Nikon's lenses provide. However you are paying a premium price for the Nikon name and many third party lenses provide superior optical quality to Nikon (or Canon) lenses, not to mention being less expensive.

The Tamron 70-300 is a "good" option and has been getting good reviews. You may also consider renting a lens, it is convenient and if not used regularly be less expensive in the long run. Used lenses often work quite well, but buy from a trusted source that will honor a return.

Andy 0 likes this.
  5. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Agree.

6. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Agreed, Although they are generally cheap lenses kit lenses are not necessarily bad. Economies of scale make them cheaper to produce than other lenses that are not so widely sold.

Your 4 rule of thumb are all good, but no 3 is just a subset of no 1 - primes (having the shortest possible zoom range) are usually good quality & faster than zooms as well as lighter/cheaper. No 4 I think applies to all OEM lens producers, though maybe not as significantly as CaNikon.

7. gaelldew

gaelldew Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  8. Andy 0

Andy 0 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Slight left-field of all of the other posts, but you need a cheap and cheerful 50mm.

Nobody ever regretted keeping a cheap 50mm lens in the bag, of any flavour. Doesn't have to be a great one, the little Yungnuo at £40 is a startling performer for the money.

There are some great points here, and I daresay many (#NotAll) of us would just have an arsenal of primes if we could afford them. The kit lenses do get a bit of a bad-rap, and I don't think that it's always justified, don't misinterpret this, they're never stunning quality, and they're certainly 'built to a price' but especially if you're starting out with a more modest body they shouldn't be dismissed out-of-hand.

My knowledge of Nikon is extremely limited, but 18-300 is quite a tall order for a lens! I don't know if you're 18-40 is equivalent or actual focal length either, one of the nerds will chip in :p

9. Dean M

Dean M Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  10. JCosyn

JCosyn Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    In addition to all the very good advice given by others above, you should consider which lens(es) you want only with regard to what it is you intend to shoot. Landscapes? Portraits? Wildlife? Insects? Flowers? Weddings? Sports? Different purposes are best achieved with different tools. Know what you are planning to do with a lens before jumping in blind and buying something that sounds good.

11. gaelldew

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Have a look at our sponsors, MPB, very good stocks of second hand lenses which usually have a guarantee with them. Personally I think you would be better with a Nikon 70/300 with VR2 as the kit lens covers you nearly for the less distances.

12. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Where diddy go? LOL :)

13. Kevin Fox

Kevin Fox Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    These posts are so aggravating. 1 post 4 days ago and no return. It's a shame people write these long replies for nothing. Got to be a way to stop this

steve b likes this.
  14. gaelldew

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Shouldn't be able to @Kevin Fox till they at least introduce themselves, I've already asked Roger about this.

steve b and Kevin Fox like this.
  15. Andy 0

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It's a fact of life with forums, I think it's just something that has to be accepted.

Sometimes for absolute beginners it can all be a bit overwhelming, and let's be honest many humans can be an incredibly fickle bunch; a rainy afternoon and somebody suddenly has an inkling they want to get in to photography, ask a few questions, realise it's actually quite a complicated field and we can't make anybody the next Bailey overnight. Presto. They vanish without a trace and never think of it again.

I'll politely disagree, I'm never convinced that enforcing too many expectations on somebody who joins the forum immediately creates an overly positive attitude. This is an impossibly friendly forum, and any 'spats' that occur are usually trifling and are quickly resolved - more often than not in good humour. As one who was an administrator of a very large forum (you could post, hit 'New Posts' and you'd have to find your post on the second page in at some peak periods) we have never offered curt replies to new posters: "Do a search" was the most frequent reply back on the car forum I was involved with. Few people made more than a handful of posts as the atmosphere was pretty toxic at best.

The other thing I think is a dangerous solution is to only make general threads visible to members, I don't think that is how this forum is set up, but I personally won't sign up to a forum to just browse a result thrown up by Google. It's a tactic used by many small forums to swell their membership numbers rather than by growing organically.

Sometimes people just don't have much to say, it's all well and good doing an 'introduce yourself' thread but for some people, they honestly don't want to say anything, or bluntly they haven't really got much to say.

Forums by-and-large are dying, Facebook has replaced the instant gratification hit as well as groups which to those who have grown up with more casual 'Facebook' orientated reply sequences rather than the more formal forum based interaction with people. On an FB group with 20,000 members, there's no need to learn the tone, the core members or the rules, you just tap in the box and hit 'reply' and get a response in a few seconds. This is the way the world is headed, strictly structured forums are still, in my opinion, the most valuable resources as they tend to attract more interested parties, and people will generally show more concern and nuance in their post - however, they're a vestigial limb from the dawn of the internet and the marketplace for them is shrinking. Forums also become great repositories of knowledge (who doesn't research something and find a forum post thrown up by Google from over a decade ago?) so they should be kept going for as long as possible.

The other competition which in a way combines the two is the 'stack' type Q&A systems where users submit quick, plain questions to the group, then instant replies are received, essentially peer-reviewed by a voting system and the best ones win, the not-so-good ones just vanish. These were traditionally the preserve of nerds in the programming world (see stackoverflow) as nerds were never very good at human interaction anyway, so just asking a plain question without any 'fluff' was deemed the most efficient way to get a quick reply - on SO even the word 'hello' or 'hi' will be deleted as it's "redundant". These style of interactive systems are also gaining traction as the replies tend to be thick, fast and sorted by relevance by the experts on the fly.

Sorry for the meandering post, and I know this has played straight into the first rule of a forum, "keep on topic" but I would urge extreme caution regarding adding too many conditions to new members.

Petrochemist, Snips and steve b like this.
  16. bikerman

bikerman Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    i have to agree with Andy 0 with any comments on any of my photos i do thank people for the time and effort they put in for their replies, but for general info for equipment some people treat some forums such as this as a google shoot off.find out what they want and don't bother with the forum again , find another forum and start again.

myself as a beginner i do not feel qualified to offer any support or advice to anyone as do not want to give any wrong answer

Andy 0 likes this.
  17. paulmag

paulmag Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The info is useful to any others that happen to google the same andy says..

A forum has a small number of regular posters and some occasional posters and many lurkers ...its just the way it is.

When i had more forum time i would ask a first poster a question related to the post and if no reply walk away easier than a big answer first reply

tenchy and Andy 0 like this.
  18. Andy 0

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Oh don't worry, if it's wrong we'll tell you :p

No, seriously, I am joking, but I appreciate the problem. I am a member of a large embedded electronics forum for a subject in which I occasionally need information but I'm really not an expert (or bluntly, competent), I see pages of threads where I'd love to be able to help people but I haven't anywhere near the knowledge to fire-off an answer. What I give here, I take somewhere else.

This is a fantastically friendly forum though, considering most forums get intensely heated (even about photography) this one remains very calm and respectful.

I was given a warning a dozen or so posts in on A. N. Other photography forum (think of the large one attached to the weekly photography periodical) where I dared to very politely disagree with the absolutely condescending view and demonstrably false whinging of 'the guy that writes the nonsense article on the final page', naming no rotund, monocle-wearing pseudo-intellectuals; to do that would be the height of inequity.

For that disagreement, I was essentially told: "You're new here, it pays not to disagree with x, we'd ask you moderate your tone when dealing with respected members."

This forum is very lightly moderated, a perfect example of the lighter the touch with moderation, the more sensible and courteous members become.

19. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I've seen many questions posted that a beginner might be qualified to answer. If your not confident in your answer, you can make that clear in the reply - when others agree it'll boost your confidence & if they don't there's a good chance they'll explain why so you'll learn from it.

Sometimes your guess may not fit the actual problem but might still solve other peoples issues or inspire new experiments.

IMO the only problem with a wrong answer is when it's given as gospel!

20. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    @Rossef2 Since you were back on the forum today making a post, you might think about returning to this one.

21. Rossef2

Rossef2 Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hey, Thanks to everyone for the excellent advice. After lots of research I decided to make my collection: 35mm Prime Nikon, 18-105 Nikon, 70-300 Nikon and 10-24 Tamron(wide angle). This should keep my occupied and allow me to take the pictures I want and develop enough until I get a full frame in a year or two.

Thanks, Roger. I actually forgot what forum I had subscribed too and only found it when searching on my works computer yesterday (Bored). I always found the problem when joining a new forum and one of the reasons a large amount of people disappear after 2-3 posts is that the person joined it for a reason, perhaps a question about something, but they haven't built any friendships or banter with other people on that board, which is usually the thing that draws people back.

R

22. gaelldew

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    One reason for the "who are you" section I posted earlier.

23. fmw

fmw Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Nikon doesn't make any bad lenses. Some are better than others but all are capable of excellent images. The 18-55 will do a good job.