• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Beinn a'Chrulaiste

H1ghlander

Always on
Good friend, owner and writer for popular online landscape magazine OnLandscape is writing an article why you don't need to climb the highest mountains to get the best view. Beinn a'Chrulaiste in Glencoe fits this description perfectly so he asked for some pictures to demonstrate this.
Rather than use an older already published picture I wanted to give him something not released before so started trawling through older unprocessed files for examples.
I've published better from up there but here's the small selection of pictures I've done. Unfortunately there's a running theme through them all.....no sky. The reason why they were never processed.

classic.JPG

east ii.JPG

north.JPG

These last two are previous releases but made some tweaks to them.

east.JPG

classic sun.JPG

Last edited:

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Absolutely agree. It's the same with tall buildings Scott, the best view is from 3/4 of the way up when you can still look up at some of the scene and it allows subject matter to cut the all important horizon line then. The view from the shard is a case in point, it's visually very impressive but there's no reference for scale whatsoever and you might as well be looking at a model landscape.

Nice set by the way, the first is my preference.

H1ghlander

Always on
Agree Barry.
I learnt very quick that the best views 'photographically' aren't from the highest summits, the opposite in fact but still enjoy hitting the odd summit now and then to take a picture.
My last nugget of information for the short article went something along the lines of the unassuming featureless peaks you’re not willing to ascend in favour of those more attractive summits is probably the peak you should be climbing to take pictures of those attractive summits. Chrulaiste being an example.

H1ghlander

Always on
Often thought about doing a local calendar but who would buy one full of misery, and what would I use for summer pictures?

SharonH

Here a lot
Premium Member
I love these pictures! I have seen a few mountain calendars with snow/fog/mist scenes all through the year.

Banjo Ryan

Always on
Some real stunners there Scott, no.s 1,2 and 5 really float my boat. That hanging cloud in the first and last is fantastic. I'm afraid the 3rd and 4th don't do much for me. The light is nice but I find them far less dynamic.

Pete Larkin

Always on
Premium Member
That first image is so awesome. Really love it - makes me cold and gives a feeling of complete isolation. In the final one, what's going on on the very left? Looks like a little vertical smudge

H1ghlander

Always on
That first image is so awesome. Really love it - makes me cold and gives a feeling of complete isolation. In the final one, what's going on on the very left? Looks like a little vertical smudge
Thanks Pete.
Very well spotted, the same is going on on the far right. It was brush work on a slightly tighter crop. I opened the crop up a bit but forgot to extend the brush to the extreme outer edges. Well spotted and thanks. Sloppy indeed.

Buachaille etive mor edit.JPG

SFTphotography

Old Hand
1st and 3rd shots are totally brilliant

See that last pano you posted. Do you have that lighting pattern composed like the first. That would be the ultimate. Good series though and loving the summer colours and blue skies. Magic!!!

Last edited:

benhben

Here a lot
Loving the first and last. I actually like the fact the sky is clear and the cloud is below. It isolates the mountain and a draws the eye down to the cloud inversion.

Jason

Always on
Premium Member
Agree Barry.
I learnt very quick that the best views 'photographically' aren't from the highest summits, the opposite in fact but still enjoy hitting the odd summit now and then to take a picture.
My last nugget of information for the short article went something along the lines of the unassuming featureless peaks you’re not willing to ascend in favour of those more attractive summits is probably the peak you should be climbing to take pictures of those attractive summits. Chrulaiste being an example.
Looks like Mr Heaton has seen your thread and agrees with you about viewpoints (about 14:30) :)

I wish I’d had time to have a scramble up there. I’ll be back..

Ramble Vision

Mountain Climber
Super Moderator
completely agree with the sentiment. often going to the top makes it harder to control the composition. you get the massive view, but thats it.

great set of examples in this thread scott. particularly like the first one.