• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Ben Nevis

alpethsm

Old Hand
This is a set from about a month ago from going up Ben Nevis. Weather wasn't at all that cooperative for most of the trip but this day was alright. Very hazy though so it's taken a fair bit of processing to deal with the blue wash over everything.... As you can see it wasn't a cloudless day so no shots from the summit.

Any crits welcome, the last one is the only one that I'm relatively happy with.

Ta, Alex

IMG_6446-2.jpg

IMG_6420.jpg

IMG_6507-2.jpg

IMG_6475-2.jpg

IMG_6563-3.jpg

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Looks like the Achintee Farm route (judging by the first which looks like the zig zags) so I think you have done pretty way really.

H1ghlander

Always on
Possibly the most hideous mountain to climb in Scotland but understand the need to do it. You got some nice light in this selection compared to your other pictures.
I've stood atop (more than once) of nearly every peak you can see in these pictures and the Ben maybe 6 or 7 times. :)

alpethsm

Old Hand
Looks like the Achintee Farm route (judging by the first which looks like the zig zags) so I think you have done pretty way really.
Hey tenchy, yeah that was the route, I had been planning to go up by the cmd arete but a few of my group were a bit concerned about it so we went for the easy route.... Which was probably a good choice as my knee was packing up by the end.

Great set and beautiful scenery.
Cheers David, much appreciated

Possibly the most hideous mountain to climb in Scotland but understand the need to do it. You got some nice light in this selection compared to your other pictures.
I've stood atop (more than once) of nearly every peak you can see in these pictures and the Ben maybe 6 or 7 times. :)
Hey, by hideous do you mean in terms of the views out from it or just the amount of climbing being hard going?

Anyway yeah my friends and I wanted to go up snowdon, scafell pike and Ben nevis (like several thousand other people I know). Still I will certainly return to walk up some of the lesser travelled peaks as despite the weather it really is beautiful.

The central peak in the last 2 photos looks intriguing.... Although that may be because it's the only one with decent light on it

H1ghlander

Always on
Hey, by hideous do you mean in terms of the views out from it or just the amount of climbing being hard going?

Anyway yeah my friends and I wanted to go up snowdon, scafell pike and Ben nevis (like several thousand other people I know). Still I will certainly return to walk up some of the lesser travelled peaks as despite the weather it really is beautiful.

The central peak in the last 2 photos looks intriguing.... Although that may be because it's the only one with decent light on it
By hideous I mean the sheer number of people using that route to ascend at any one time during the summer months and the path isn't very challenging with anything in the way of endearing features unlike most other often climbed peaks in the region but as I said, I understand the reason why so many people do it.
The CMD arête route is more rewarding. It's quieter, much quieter, is a more spectacular route to ascend giving exceptional views of the north face but isn't for those adverse to exposure so understand your friend's concerns and gives a better sense of achievement once on the summit.
The peak in the middle you refer to is Stob Ban. Interesting you mention it, it is one of my all time favourite Scottish peaks to climb.

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Cmd arete is definitely the best ascent route for walking up the Ben in my opinion. Unless it's gusty I don't think the exposure is that bad. Nowhere near like on cryb Goch or in the cuillins.
It does offer (when allowed) cracking views of the North Face too which most tourists never see other than peering down some and looking across tower ridge etc. The North Face car park was the best approach I found, assume it's still an option. The main route is a drag that's for sure, and rammed with people. The zig zags being specifically designed to test resolution lol.