1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Best short sports lens?

Discussion in 'Photography Chat Forum' started by Xuzyelau, May 22, 2019.

1. Xuzyelau

Xuzyelau New Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    I see a lot of posts talking about the longer lenses, but what do people use as a short sports lens?

Context: I'm the team (parent) photographer for my daughter's volleyball team, and usually have the freedom to walk the perimeter of the court during games. For the net play, I've had success using my 100mm f/2 but, for back row play, my kit struggles.

I'm currently using a 50mm f1.8 and, as everyone can assume, AF speed is lacking. Is there a short lens that is popular with the sports shooters?

2. Phill104

Phill104 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    When I was shooting basketball I would have a 70-200 2.8 on one body and a 35mm on another. That worked out well most of the time.

3. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I use a 70-200 for basketball and did volleyball when my daughters played it. I only have an f/4 but the other regular photographer, also a parent, he has a f/2.8 70-200.

4. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes 70-200 f2.8 is the one you need.

5. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Walking around a tennis court or pickleball court, I use a 50mm and a 35mm. At the net, I've used a 21mm lens with good results (on a full frame).