• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Best Shotgun Microphone Under £200

Ste1337

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Wasnt sure which forum to post this in so sorry if its in the wrong one.

But i was was wondering if anyone could advise me on the best shotgun microphone under £200 for recording video on a DSLR?

Im finding it a bit confusing on the difference between them all, i cant really see a difference between a £30 microphone and a £300 one. The one ive been leaning towards is the Rode VideoMic Pro though.

As for the recording it will be for voice in front of the camera (not behind or ambient noises)

If anybody knows about it any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
You need to first decide whether you want powered or passive. Both have their advantages.
Passive you cannot go too far wrong with the Rode Video Micro. Small and sweet but gives a great response. With no batteries it is a great one to just keep in your bag for all uses. For just recording voice in front of the camera it works very well.
The video mic pro is good, but it does protrude to the rear of the camera quite a bit. For some this is not a problem, but if you do use the viewfinder while filming you will find you keep knocking your head on the thing. If you do go for one, look for a cold shoe riser of some sort, there are some good designs on the 3D printing sites for these that work well. or you can get many other brackets depending on your needs but you will need to factor those costs into the price.
If you want to try a cheap one then the Takstar SGC 598 gets good reviews. It also suffers the same rear protrusion issues of the Rode.

Ste1337

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Do the camera cages work well for the mounting too? I dont know much about them but noticed them somewhere online the other day. Is Rode usually the go-to brand for DSLR microphones? I noticed the news companies in the UK use them in their interviews too.

Activ8

I made the 1,000,000 th post
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Don't spend a huge amount of money of a good microphone if the pre-amps in your camera are not up-to the job. Lumix cameras have good pre-amps but a lot of DSLR's don't. A good movie making site or forum should have good information about your particular camera. The Rode Video Micro as recommended above is way better than the internal mic on the camera without spending a whole lot of money but for talking head videos if you can't control room reflections you would be better using a lav mic on the subject. again don't spend too much unless your recording device is up-to scratch.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Cages do work but really add to the bulk of your device.

Don’t get too hung up on the brand. Rode make some good microphones and some cack ones too. There are plenty of videos comparing the sound quality of various setups on YouTube so if in doubt look up the models and listen to the difference.

There are also lav microphones if it is just you doing a vlog for instance that will probably provide the best sound if you want to be mobile, especially if you use an external recording device such as your mobile or a dedicated unit. A decent desk mic is great if you are sat in a single spot where a camera mounted mic is a good all round option, the Rode video micro is a great example of one of these.

Maybe describing what your intended use will help people advise more.