1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Full Critique Black BG orchid

Discussion in 'Plants, Animals & Insects Photography Forum' started by David Payne, Dec 5, 2017 at 10:30 PM.

1. David Payne

David Payne Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  2. Kevin Fox

Kevin Fox Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Glad you got the black figured I out.
    Now you need to defuse the flash somehow or turn down the power. To me the whites or highlights or to hot or blown. The second image seems to have a leaf in the bottom left. I would almost shoot this vertical. And try to isolate one flower and fill the frame more with the flower. All that black isn't important to see and doesn't really do much for the shot. You want the flower to be important not the black. Heck, I'd probably use a second light source to try to soften the brightness

David Payne likes this.
  3. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Glad you got there.
    Vertical format might be more suited to this.
    I agree a second fill light on the other side would help, but good first go. It's quite good fun isn't it.

David Payne likes this.
  4. David Payne

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes it is.
    So now down to the next problem. On my camera screen the pictures look acceptable for exposure. But on the PC they are quite dark. The histogram is all to the left. What should the histogram look like?

5. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    David Payne likes this.
  6. Phill

Phill Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Any reason for wanting to use a flash and not natural light David?

7. David Payne

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Well at the moment its dark when I leave home for work and dark when I get back home. Also this is an exercise in using flash so I can try and master it.

8. Phill

Phill Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Right, I missed that bit. I'm not much help then, not done much flash stuff and its always been a bit trial and error when I have.

David Payne likes this.
  9. David Payne

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    For me too. But verging mostly on error and being found wanting.

10. David_MC

David_MC Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I agree with Steve that a vertical crop would work better. A softbox diffuser would probably help reign in the highlights, they are a little blown out on my monitor. The colors look great the the image is nice and sharp.

David Payne likes this.
  11. David Payne

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I don't have a softbox/brolly yet. So I fired the flash through a white plastic milk carton. The white on the petal is very white. I am wondering if I have over cooked it in PP, as I said the picture on the PC was very dsrk.

12. paulmag

paulmag Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    A Challenge :)

I shot orchids against a black back (T shirt) with natural light and that came out fine as its easier you have to work harder with flash and I couldn't get acceptable results when I tried .........I took the easy route and waited for daylight.

I found with flash I got specular highlights distractingly on the petals.

A couple of flashes either side close up and well diffused and probably black flags to stop spill onto the background and onto camera ............it will take some work to get right ...well it would for me :) but once you have it sorted I reckon its rinse and repeat as the lighting should be predictable.

Here is one I did earlier minimal PP

[​IMG]

David Payne likes this.