• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Full Critique Brand New To Photography

Ste1337

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi guys, im brand new to photography and took these with the kit lenses when i first received it so the gear isnt the best(Ive ordered some new lenses since) but wondered if you could give me some critique on where im going right and wrong. I was just trying out a few different things. Ill submit the unedited version and the edit so you can see my original shot and how ive edited. Just doing it as a hobby for now and learning. Its saying the file sizes are too large so i have uploaded them to an imgbb album

For reference can refer to the images as:

A. Richmond Park Sunset
B. Thames Quarantine Portrait
C. Single Swan
D. Two Swans
E. The Goose

Ozzie_Traveller

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
G'day mate

Firstly - Welcome again and it's beaut to see some of your images
Then we come to the [occasional] nightmare of uploading images .... and our friend Roger will help you here if/when needed
This site has 2 conditions for your images ..... a) the longest side must be 1024px or less, and b) the size of the image cannot exceed 256kb [if my memory is on track here]. If you exceed either a) or b) above the system will reject your image. It happens to me from time to time even now - after uploading images now for many months

As to your images
Regardless of the subject matter, you seem to enjoy blurring the backgrounds of each image ~ sometimes this helps the image - but not with all images
image -0512 .... all the horizontal reflections are sloping a bit > maybe fix this before going too much further
image -0537 ... can we see this lovely lady without her covid mask? I'm sure that she would prefer it too :)
image -0701 ... yes, you have captured the colours of the sunset, but I need more than a tree and clouds to grab my attention

As to your lenses - all these images look okay to me, so I'm not sure what new lenses will do for you
Hope this helps
Phil

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hiya Steve. It's best (as well as a rule) that you post these directly to the forum if you want critique. Your sizes for the most are well within the limits but you will have to reduce the file size of a couple of them.
Also, may I suggest that you set your "Edit my images" preference to "yes"? Many times it's easier for us to show rather than tell when people ask for assistance.

Ste1337

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I think i managed to find a way around it :) Sorry about that

IMG-0701.jpg
IMG-0701-A.jpg

IMG-0537 (1).jpg
IMG-0537.jpg
IMG-0533.jpgIMG-0533-A.jpgIMG-0512 (1).jpgIMG-0512.jpg
IMG-0666 (1).jpgIMG-0666.jpg

Ste1337

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Just realised i posted some of these in the wrong forum, just sorting it out now :) Sorry about that

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I'll second Phil's comments and add the following.

It looks like you've posted the original and then edited the photograph a little - no harm in that at all as that's part of digital photography.

If I'm correct and the second image is the edited one, then I prefer them all except the single swan. With the canada goose, as with all animals, children, birds, etc it's much better to get down to their level if at all possible. You want to be at eye level really.

Also - and I'm sure there will be various YouTube videos about this - if you crop to the rule of thirds generally (not necessarily all the time) it can result in a more pleasing composition.

To that end:
The sunset tree would be much better placed on the left third line because the clouds are more interesting on the right. At present the tree is a little too central for my liking.
Your portrait would have her towards the left as well - the resulting crop will lose some of that concrete as well.
The single swan has too much space to the right but good to have more space in front of it than behind - moving objects need space to move into the photograph
The pair of swans are moving left so you want more space taken from the right
The canada goose is quite central BUT - that's your best composition!! More space in front than behind, and the face is at an intersection of two of the thirds, give or take, - perfect!

Great start though - no chopped feet or heads, good focusing and good exposures.

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Just realised i posted some of these in the wrong forum, just sorting it out now :) Sorry about that
I've moved this to "All the rest" forum for you, if that's to your liking.

Ste1337

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thankyou for the critique :) A lot of the shots have been taken with speed because my partner gets a bit bored and frustrated when i get the camera out. Would be nice to get out by myself one morning or evening when i have all my new gear and have a real field day with it. I wasnt aware of the rule of thirds until after i had taken these, i noticed it mentioned in a few youtube videos ive been watching the last few days(Jared Polin, Dustin Abbott etc). I think the sunset tree photo i actually took mid walk lol, it was a quick snap shot and was surprised when i opened it up on the computer.

Do you think the single swan looks a little bit too HDR? I kind of like that look on the animal portraiture, looks a bit silly when overdone but also gives it a very artistic look.

Thankyou for the comments, cant wait to take some more and improve!

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Your Two Swans photo needs to be straightened out by about 8 to 10 degrees to the right before doing any editing, but the real problem is that it was overexposed in the original. The whites on the back of the near Swan is blown way out to the point of no recovery. A very minor thing that I have learned over the years is to set the camera for multiple shots and use your +/- exposure bracketing when shooting anything bright, including Swans or snow. If you are ready to shoot something in that bracket it's best to use minus 1.5 to minus 2 exposure and work from there.

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
A good tip for photographing animals and people is to try and get the camera down to their eye level or even below. Shots looking downwards tend to have a weird unflattering perspective to them.