1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Breadth and Depth – The Photography of Albert Watson

Discussion in 'Photography News Forum' started by Mike Singh, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  2. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Nice piece.

Mike Singh likes this.
  3. Jason

Jason Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Great stuff.

He did a show for BBC Scotland a while back. I think it was mentioned here before but for those that haven’t seen it. Quite a surprise to see how much his crew do for him.

Mike Singh likes this.
  4. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    No
    ah yes i remember this. I was also shocked at the amount of help he was getting. kind of spoiled the point of landscape togging really IMO

Mike Singh likes this.
  5. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    He certainly did. However, he did the important parts: picked the location and composition.

6. Mike Singh

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Not really. He did comment that having a technician allows him to concentrate on the creative side and not have to split his brain. I can relate to that.

7. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Fair enough , but for me I’m very much in the, ‘one photographer and their camera taking on the wilderness’ camp.

I can see how having a team will make things easier, but that struggle is part of it for me. Also the fact that you do struggle adds to the creative process as well. Perhaps one shot isn’t pin sharp due to gust of wind and a lack of a team of techniions pixel peeping for you , but perhaps that the shot communicates the feeling of the perfectly

He didn’t press the shutter for some , so didn’t pick the moment , which is one of the most important bits

Mike Singh likes this.
  8. Mike Singh

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Well Steve a photographer of his esteem can afford a team! He did tell his assistant to “take it now”.

I am also a 1 man and his camera person. I have learnt from my struggles and errors.

Ramble Vision likes this.
  9. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I think the main difference from what Watson is doing with a landscape and what most of us do is that we search for a great location and take advantage of the opportunities presented. If we are lucky, we are rewarded with a great photo. He is making a photo and creating his own opportunities. He has a theme and a concept that is driving a commercial project from which he is expecting to generate income. For that he is carrying around far more equipment than we would consider prudent - fog machine, fireworks, spritzer, tethering equipment, special lighting and stands. A support team is essential.

There are those who live nearby, know every tree and crevice, and can pick and choose their photographs for the weather and light as they desire, a camera and proper clothing is all that is needed. Watson chose the season that provided a range of weather conditions with which he was familiar, chose the landscapes that he knew, was prepared to enhance his opportunities with certain equipment, and had the support needed to do the job within the time-frame required.

The difference between an amateur's excellent photo and a professional expert's is negligible to non-existent. However, a professional expert will more often be successful accomplishing what they set out to accomplish. An expert relies less on good fortune.

Mike Singh and Skyshot like this.
  10. Mike Singh

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Some further insight into his work and work ethics.