• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Break in the Clouds

cbarnard7

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi all!

As always- it's been a while! When the leaves are off the trees and there is no snow (but dull, dreary, overcast gray) I struggle to find motivation. As most of you know, I don't shoot B&W nor do I shoot minimal; that may change in the future, of course, but I find motivation in the subtle colors that nature provides. Along with everything else in 2020, this winter has been difficult. I've found myself without my camera for most of the last 3 or so months- so I'm sorry for not posting on here as often as I'd like. However- for my birthday recently, my wife bought me the DJI Mini 2 drone and that has been the bright spark I needed to get me out of my rut (more on that in the future). I hope to be back posting more regularly moving forward :). Hope you're all doing well! Anyway, back to the show:

As winter comes in, I normally shift my focus from the mountains/rivers to the beach. A few times in the last couple months, I've made the 2.5hr morning drive to the beach in hopes of shooting a nice sunrise. Each time, despite the positive weather forecast, I arrived to cloud cover and no light. I enjoyed my long walk along the shore, packed up and headed back.

This past weekend, I again set my alarm to 3:30am. I woke up and double checked the weather forecast and it looked spot on: at sunrise there'd be a decent amount of medium/high clouds. I set off with my coffee, camera and drone.

Screenshot_20210313-033203_Clear Outside.jpg tempFileForShare_20210315-080849.jpg

As I got closer to the beach I could see dark clouds hovering along the horizon; it even started to rain. I was growing frustrated. I pulled into the parking lot with about 20 minutes to sunrise. Walked out and could see a large storm cloud moving away from where the sun was due. And just then, I could see the clouds breaking up a bit. There was red cast above. I frantically checked my settings and started shooting as one of the most beautiful scenes unfolded. I shot for about 30 minutes and then launched my drone between the awestruck beach walkers. (I did slice by finger open as I hurried to hand-launch my drone... a rookie mistake I paid for and immediately learned from). I spent about another 45 minutes soaking in the quiet, beautiful light and then headed home. What a beautiful morning! I took about 200 photos- mostly from the same composition, but with different wave shape. I stuck with this one because it had everything: sun, leading lines, storm cloud and reflection. Hope you enjoy!

51033681721_0e81fd238a_c.jpg

Pete Larkin

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Love it! Beautiful wave action, and conflicting surf lines, as well as the colours and heavy mass of cloud nicely balanced by the brightness on the right.

David_MC

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Beautiful shot!

cbarnard7

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks guys!

cbarnard7

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
As I continue to edit through these, I found another composition I liked as well. I'm not sure which one I like more.

51033880611_12c1d397b1_c (1).jpg

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
love all the lines and colours in that first Chris! Love it when a plan comes together!

cbarnard7

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
love all the lines and colours in that first Chris! Love it when a plan comes together!
Cheers Steve! Hope you're doing well!!

H1ghlander

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
For me I prefer the second picture more than the first purely because the proportions are better and the wave isn't breaking the horizon thus adding extra depth.Both good but the second for me.

RGR

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
For me I prefer the second picture more than the first purely because the proportions are better and the wave isn't breaking the horizon thus adding extra depth.Both good but the second for me.
Agreed. But I'd select a vertical crop much more to the right with the sun rather in the left. That's because the dark clouds are not the main topic of the picture for me.

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

cbarnard7

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Agreed. But I'd select a vertical crop much more to the right with the sun rather in the left. That's because the dark clouds are not the main topic of the picture for me.
Cheers guys, the input is appreciated. To be honest, I have about 50 more shots with different wave shapes (same composition) so I'll have a look through again.

cbarnard7

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
We're good thanks. Tho lost two of our friends now we met you with :(
Oh no... sorry to hear, Steve. You'll always have those great memories of travel!

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Oh no... sorry to hear, Steve. You'll always have those great memories of travel!
We will for sure. First we lost Tina, younger than me, and then her mum. Her mum and Ray (stepdad) never stop talking about how amazing the two trips were so I always have the knowledge I helped give them a great time and fantastic memories to their end.

cbarnard7

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
We will for sure. First we lost Tina, younger than me, and then her mum. Her mum and Ray (stepdad) never stop talking about how amazing the two trips were so I always have the knowledge I helped give them a great time and fantastic memories to their end.
Absolutely. In the end, memories are what keep us alive! Awesome you were able to be a part of that.