1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Want Pointers Breezy St Mary's Island

Discussion in 'Landscape Photography Forum' started by Violaman, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Violaman

Violaman Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Out along the sea shore this morning with my dog in a near gale, but at least the light was good so it was not a wasted journey!

Forum.jpg

rebel06 likes this.
  2. David_MC

David_MC Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I like the sky. Maybe zooming in closer to the lighthouse might also work here.

Violaman likes this.
  3. Ozzie_Traveller

Ozzie_Traveller Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    G'day mate

May I suggest that - although it's a beaut pic as is, if you crop out 3/4 of the foreground it will then look dramatic
    I'd crop to where the greenery & dark rock line (& double-lump of rock to the right-centre) is, so that there is minimal - but enough base and a delightful sky / clouds above

Phil

Violaman likes this.
  4. Violaman

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks for the advice chaps; it's a bit close to the rule of thirds this way.

Forum.jpg

5. H1ghlander

H1ghlander Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    You've asked for pointers Jim so here's my take.
    I find the composition extremely challenging, the edit even more so.
    The closest post is very dominant, it's a bit in your face and the lack of any detail only exacerbates this, much of it and the other posts are blocked up, hence no detail. I'm struggling to see what purpose it serves other than a tic box foreground filler.
    The other posts pose a problem too. Their diagonal positioning leads the viewer straight out of the edge of the frame with the closest of those posts clashing awkwardly with the horizon. They're also competing for attention to the point you forget the picturesque lighthouse is the main interest in the frame.
    I'm all for foreground interest but it must serve a purpose, must compliment the scene and be attractive. These appear to be foreground interest for the sake of foreground interest and would therefore be better left out.
    Although I've never been to St Mary's I have seen thousands of pictures from here so know there are far more interesting engaging attractive foregrounds available at this location.

I do like the sky. Personally I'd have got low to minimise the perspective of the foreground and mid ground because it's very untidy and messy using what looks like some coloured pebbles resting in the sand as an interesting feature.
    Sorry for being so harsh but for me this picture just does not work for the reasons mentioned above and I know you can do so much better.

Violaman likes this.
  6. Ozzie_Traveller

Ozzie_Traveller Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    G'day mate

Sorry matey but I can't see much difference between #1 and #2 ... ?
    My thoughts were as below ~ to concentrate on those dramatic clouds
    Phil
    Violaman UK.jpg

Violaman and H1ghlander like this.
  7. H1ghlander

H1ghlander Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    That's where I was with a crop but still doesn't address the issue with the post clashing with the horizon. But the crop does minimise what is a fairly messy unattractive foreground.

Violaman likes this.
  8. Violaman

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Many thanks for the help gents, I appreciate your time and advice. It is good to receive constructive criticism and as I am at the spot fairly regularly, your points will be kept in mind.

H1ghlander likes this.
  9. H1ghlander

H1ghlander Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Keep it simple Jim, simplicity goes a long way. Had a look at some of your pictures on P4Me, you have much better on there.

Violaman likes this.
  10. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    No
    yep first thing I though was the posts got in the way more then helped the comp. didn't help with the clouds being the same tone as the lighthouse. It got sort of lost in the image really. and the fact that the post were much darker then the rest they grabbed all the attention.

so yeah more simple comp would have been better, and a more sympathetic sky would have helped to.

Violaman likes this.