• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Bronica SQ ME prism finder fix

Ricklb55

This is how to fix an ME prism finder whose brass pins no longer adequately connect to a film back. You will only need a #00 Phillips screwdriver and I recommend that it be magnetic. Depending on your eyes, you may find you need some kind of hands free magnifying device.

With the ME prism finder separate from the camera body, turn the finder to an upside-down position with the eyepiece towards you. Locate the brass pins. They are located in an assembly that can be removed from the finder by removing the four screws at each corner. Do not remove the two screws in the center of the assembly. BEFORE REMOVING THE ASSEMBLY: be aware that in the assembly there are two very small brass pins (not the connection pins) that are pivot pins for the connection pins and once the assembly is removed these small pins can fall out. They are not loose and will not fall out easily but can. With the finder's eyepiece still towards you, remove the assembly keeping it level. Turn the assembly upside down by revolving it towards/away from you - NOT left/right. You will now see two polished pieces of steel at each corner that are in the shape of the letter L. These pieces of steel are the springs for the connection pins and are the cause of the problem - they have become bent with time and are no longer doing a good job. They are held down by a single screw. Loosen that screw but do not remove. Rotate the steel L 180 degrees. Now you can bend the steel L down until it is flat. Rotate back to the original position and tighten the screw. Rotating the steel L around then back is a bit tricky but not difficult. Repeat on the second steel L. Replace the assembly.

This procedure should also work on the SQ AE prism finder. I have both and it appears both are using the same assembly, but I have not remove the assembly on the AE prism so I cannot be certain.

The fact that the steel L will bend with time implies that your Bronica camera should not be stored with both the finder and film back attached.