1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Buying Camera Equipment from Amazon.com (I live in the UK)

Discussion in 'Photography Chat Forum' started by Steve Chandler, Oct 11, 2017 at 5:31 PM.

1. Steve Chandler

Steve Chandler Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Has anyone from the UK ever ordered camera equipment from the US Amazon store? Within the next fortnight I will be buying a Nikon D750. It will cost around £1,240 for a second hand body. I can get a brand new D750 body from the US Amazon store for £1,359. Additionally I will buy buying one or two lenses and often the US store option is in the region of £100 cheaper. Are there any downsides to buying from the US Amazon store that I'm unaware of but should take into consideration?

2. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Indeed there are. For a start as they have a uk site they will probably refuse to sell it to you anyway but secondly if they do they will fill in declarations of value etc for postage and you will get clobbered for 20 vat by UK customs plus a handling fee. If you want to buy an import you are better of with someone like hdew but make yourself aware of potential grey import guarantee problems before you decide whether it's worth doing.

3. Steve Chandler

Steve Chandler Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Cheers. You've confirmed some of what I suspected. I was supposed to be going to the US on holiday next year and was going to hold off until then but that's not happening anymore. I guess it will be MPB.com for a second hand D750 after all. :(

Peter Glynn likes this.
  4. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    A brand new grey import D750 from HDEW is £1159 with no import issues as I believe they are shipped from this country (not used them myself but others on the forum have reported very goid experiences). The way I look at it is if it's the same sort of price as buying second hand and that's my budget then I'd rather a new one with a long winded guarantee route than a second hand one with either a short guarantee or none at all.

5. Kevin Fox

Kevin Fox Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Another thing to consider. Nikon codes their barcodes with what country it was made for. If you ever need a repair, Nikon won't touch it if, let's say, you have a USA code and you try to get it repaired by nikon over seas.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 12:38 AM
  6. mikew

mikew Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Its my understanding from posts i have read on other forums Nikon UK will repair a grey/gray, obviously not warranty work, although on another forum someone has just got a lens from Panamoz and it had dust in it,they gave him the option of an exchange or sending it to Nikon at their cost for a service,they will do recall work though FOC.
    Nikon USA do adopt the no work on grey/gray imports policy, also if you feel confident with an HDEW warranty its for a lot longer than 12 months.

Disclaimer/ i do not buy grey/gray i get too good a service from my LCS yes i pay for it and i cant really afford to but ime happier that way.

7. gramps

gramps Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    There are some misconceptions about repairing 'grey' equipment in the UK.
    Nikon Service UK will repair any equipment for a charge.
    Established companies like HDEW supplying 'grey' from within the UK provide their own 1-year warranty and warranty claims are dealt with via a Nikon Approved Service Centre such as Fixation, H. Lehmann etc, (HDEW is an oddball in being importers but not charging import duty and their T&C's show the buyer is responsible for duty ... they also use the VAT number of another company when providing an invoice).
    Panamoz is a proven supplier from Hong Kong who provide a 3-year transferable warranty which is serviced in the UK by Nikon and which Panamoz refunds directly to the purchaser on emailing the estimate to them.

8. mikew

mikew Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I thought it was 3 yeas with HDEW or is there some small print i have missed

http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/nikon-d750-digital-slr-body-2441-p.asp

9. gramps

gramps Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No