• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Buying USED vs NEW lenses... Nikon 70-200 2.8...

the voyager

Here a lot
Hi, I need / want to update to a 70-200mm as part of my upgrade plan. This will be the first lens I add to my kit.

I have a NIKON D7100 and it has done me well, I really want to get the d810, d850 or d750 bodies, but can't have it all... I think for now updating glass then body.

Has anyone had bad experiences buying used lenses off ebay?

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
eBay would be one the last place I would look, except for an idea on prices. MPB is a forum sponsor, but also they have a very good reputation.

the voyager

Here a lot
Yes good advice, what was I thinking!! Get what you pay for don't you!

The lens I want is only £200 less than brand new (£2000) on MPB.... £800-900 on bay.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Yes good advice, what was I thinking!! Get what you pay for don't you!

The lens I want is only £200 less than brand new (£2000) on MPB.... £800-900 on bay.
That seems a big difference. Of course eBay is the asking price. Some lenses, the good ones, tend to retain their value. I have purchased several used lenses (I am in Canada, so MPB is not an option) and I have always bought them in person. I did this with my 70-200 f4 and then when I traded it in for the 70-200 f4 IS, and others.

Newbandit

Always on
I use both. Look for good images of the lens on ebay and good feedback of the seller. I just picked one up half price of retail and it's perfect. it's also manual focus so not much can go wrong with it. I also highly recommend MPB. I always get bodies from them as I don't buy new camera gear any more as the depreciation is crazy on digital cameras.