1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Camera Raw

Discussion in 'Photoshop & Editing Chat Forum' started by Scratch, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Scratch

Scratch Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I've recently bought a Canon 7D MKII and yesterday tried to edit some photo's in Elements 12. When I tried to open the images I got a message saying that my camera is not supported by my installed version of Adobe Camera Raw but I can't find an option to update to a later version. Am I missing something or will I have to update the whole package to a newer version of Elements?

2. steve b

steve b Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'm pretty sure I had this with CS3 a few years ago, you can open RAW with a file converter. I then bought Elements 13 to get over the problem. A Google should answer your prob.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Photography-Forum.org mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Scratch likes this.
  3. hooferinsane

hooferinsane EXIF Seeker Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You could convert them to adobe DNG raw using the free converter from the Adobe website here, then I think you could load them

Scratch likes this.
  4. Scratch

Scratch Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks. Had a look on Amazon and can get Elements 13 for £39 or 15 for £69. Before spending more money tho' will have a look at a file converter first. Something I hadn't even considered when I got the camera!

5. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    If you go to the Adobe site, they show a list of supported cameras in their software.

Scratch likes this.
  6. Scratch

Scratch Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks, that's great, will give it a go

Yes, done that and the version I have doesn't support the 7D2

Just downloaded the Adobe dng converter but not sure if it's working properly. I have converted some images from Canon CR2 to DNG. When I select the images from within 'My Pictures' and select 'open with Elements 12' the image opens in Camera Raw. But if i'm already in Elements 12 and try to open the same image located in My Pictures I get the same error message saying that my camera isn't supported, and it won't open, so I'm a bit confused? It doesn't take much tho'. Am I doing something wrong??

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2017
  7. steve b

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    What about when you go to my pictures and double click on the dng file? Does the file open in Elements Raw?

8. Scratch

Scratch Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    No, a dialogue box opens ' View and Track Your Downloads' and gives the options to open or save. When I click on open the screen flickers and nothing happens.

I've just noticed that when i hover the mouse over the image it shows as a dng file but if i right click and select properties it's still showing it to be a CR2 file

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2017
  9. steve b

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Nothing stays the same, unfortunately. Windows 7 photo viewer was brilliant for the way I scroll through pics, if I took a pic in Raw and jpeg, the Raw files were with a logo, the jpegs as a thumbnail, I could quickly scroll through a card as Windows software leapfrogged the Raw files. I could then determine which pics were fit for editing, cut and paste the Raw files in a folder in 'my pictures' for editing and then bin the rest of the card.

Windows 10 software views Canon Raw files as a thumbnail, but Olympus Raw files as a logo. Using the same method as above, Windows 10 will auto open any Canon Raw file with PS Elements 15, a real nuisance if you've clicked a Raw file mistakenly for a jpeg as the thumbnails look the same without hovering. With Oly Raw files, there's a logo, W10 doesn't skip them, but it does give a 'can't open' message which lets me skip quickly.

Of course, none of this happens if you take pics in Raw only and have little to bin, lol.

I would certainly buy 15 instead of 13 (although I prefer 13), if E12 is already out of date, how long before E13 follows?

Scratch likes this.
  10. hooferinsane

hooferinsane EXIF Seeker Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Not sure why you still cant open the DNG files, according to this adobe document it should work with your version

How about trying the option to save first? Then try to open once saved?

Scratch likes this.
  11. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Try putting the dng files into another folder. DNG should work with any software that uses raw images.

Go back to the beginning, it sounds like you have missed something.

Scratch and MikeB like this.
  12. Dean M

Dean M Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    to quote information found elsewhere

the camera was released after a newer version of software was available and Adobe only adds new camera support to the newest version of software.
    Specifically, the 7D Mark II needs ACR 8.7 and PSE12 can only be updated to ACR 8.5.
    Your choices are to:
    Use the DNG Converter 8.7 or newer to create DNGs from the CR2s and those DNGs will open in the older version of ACR that comes with PSE12, OR
    Buy the newer version of Element 13 that can be updated to a new enough Adobe Camera Raw plugin.
    The DNG Converter is available from the Adobe Updates page:
    http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates
    And the newer version of Elements is available from the Adobe Products page:
    http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/software.html
    Another option would be to use Lightroom 5.7 or newer and use Edit in Photoshop Elements from LR once most of your raw adjustments are done, for any final touches in Elements.
    For any of these choices you’d want to download the latest updates and run the software in trial mode to make sure your computer is compatible before paying anything.

in terms of the windows 10 oly/ raw /jpeg thing never had an issue saying it cant open the oly raw ( ORF )files. I shoot in raw and jpeg both files show and have no icon attached to differentiate ( mouse over shows which one is which ) and they both open in windows 10 photos as normal.

Scratch likes this.
  13. steve b

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    [QUOTE="Dean M, post: 1766880, member: 25176"

in terms of the windows 10 oly/ raw /jpeg thing never had an issue saying it cant open the oly raw ( ORF )files. I shoot in raw and jpeg both files show and have no icon attached to differentiate ( mouse over shows which one is which ) and they both open in windows 10 photos as normal.[/QUOTE]

When I open with 'photos' - which is the default W10 setting the PS icon shows and can't be opened, which suits me fine with the Oly. Canon Raw files do open and show the image. I haven't a clue why this should be, I've just tested to make sure. Here's an example, first the Canon Raw and jpeg, followed by the Oly Raw and jpeg

canon test.JPG Oly test.JPG

Scratch likes this.
  14. Dean M

Dean M Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    odd my oly raw show the same as the oly jpeg ( screen grab here 2 raw and 2 jpeg ) .. I do recall on my old lappy having a codec that allowed viewing of raw files but don't think I installed it on this one. only thing I can think of is I have lightroom CC and photoshopCC with Adobe camera raw and maybe the codecs in that are allowing the raw files to be seen.( oly omd em1 is what I have ) oly files.JPG

Scratch likes this.
  15. Scratch

Scratch Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes, wil give it a go, thanks

16. steve b

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    @Dean M It's mostly a mystery to me, I sort of get by with IT parrot fashion. Photo viewer on Vista (remember that, lol) just showed the jpeg as an image and didn't even register the Raw files - which really suited me for quick bin editing, before saving the Raw files I wanted to work on.

Scratch likes this.
  17. Scratch

Scratch Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It's the latest version of Abobe's DNG converter i've downloaded from their website, but when i'm in Elements 12 and try to open a converted file it won't open. However, if I select the image from within My Photos and double click it or right click and select open with Elements 12 it will open the file in Camera Raw, but this is no good to me as i don't want to keep going back out of Elements and back to My Photo's to open each image.

I have Lightroom 5 which will open the files from the 7D MKII but I only use this for importing and organising as I can't get my head around the editing function of it.

18. Dean M

Dean M Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    if you have LR 5 you should be able to set it to convert to DNG on import, then for editing just right click the image and click edit in elements 12.. that may work for you.

Scratch likes this.
  19. Scratch

Scratch Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks, good thinking, will give it a go tomorrow

20. mikew

mikew Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I may remember this wrong but ime sure DNG files open in ACR as standard,in Elements if you go to open then select a DNG file it should open in ACR,you can then edit it there or just click open and it transfers to Elements ,as i say its a while since i used DNG so could be wrong.

Scratch likes this.
  21. Scratch

Scratch Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks, cracked it!

22. Scratch

Scratch Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes, cracked it now, thanks. No need to splashout on Elements 15

23. kayak

kayak Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have the same problem with E12. Downloaded DNG to PC but I can't even find it to open it up. It's either lost somewhere in my machine or maybe it didn't actually download as it indicated it was doing.
    I can upload raw pics to E12 but I can't open them. I'm on windows 7, camera is Nikon D5500 which is NEF (whatever that means).