1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Canon 5DSR

Discussion in 'Photography Chat Forum' started by JAH-WAR, May 15, 2018.

1. JAH-WAR

JAH-WAR Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Well, I really fancy one of these being 50mp.

Panamoz are doing them about half the three grand/ish price they are charging in this country. Yeah, grey import blah dee blah. Not too bothered about the usual warranty issue arguments.

My main bodies are the 7D MK1 and 1D MK1v so both now pretty dated cameras albeit still great work horses.

I'll mainly be using it for Macro and wildlife, will do some landscape and general stuff too tho. Not too fussed about the high quality printing potential tho it has that in abundance if I ever decide to go down that line (and I may at some point).

The 50mp has obvious advantages for Macro, being to crop in and retain fine detail at greater magnification. The landscape advantages speak for themselves I think.

However, from a wildlife point of view, I find it very, very appealing that it has the ability to crop in camera to 1.3x (about 30mp, which is way above the 18mp of the 1.3 crop on the 1Div) and 1.6x (about 20mp, roughly the same as the 7D1).

I know it's only got 5fps in about 13-15 bursts and the buffer time will be pretty slow but I don't really need a huge fps rate and will revert to the 1Div for bif shots or on the odd occasion I might be doing sports stuff.

I'll generally be using it with very good glass to maintain a the best possible resolution/image quality.

Looking for any one who has any tips or advice or who can (try) talking me out of getting one or is it too late:)

Cheers!!

2. paulmag

paulmag Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    get a bigger faster computer to go with it

JAH-WAR likes this.
  3. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Great camera! I've had mine for 2 years with a little over 20,000 photos. The biggest issue I had to deal with is that camera shake is much more noticeable so you have to adjust shutter speeds up. With the 5D3 I was able to get good HDR handheld - not possible with the 5DSR, it has to be on a tripod. It has the same resolution as the 7D so you will get the same level of detail per sq. mm but with the wider angle of view. As @paulmag indicates, the file sizes are huge - the basic raw file is about 55mb and converted to RGB w/o edit is about 140mb. A full size image after a simple edit can easily approach .5gb so it does challenge the computer. It has about the same ISO range as the 7D - not exciting but certainly usable. It is NOT an all-around camera, it is fantastic for capturing detail, overkill for anything else. Good luck.

JAH-WAR likes this.
  4. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    I too would struggle with file sizes but it does sound like a cracking camera.

I'm lucky that a) it's well out of my budget and b) what I have does the job perfectly well so I'm not looking at bigger and better equipment.

This though, is a little like me saying that I drive around in a Kia whatever (I don't I hasten to add!) and it gets me from a to b in reasonable comfort and I don't need to drive any faster. If someone handed me the keys to an Aston Martin I'd snatch them as fast as I could. If someone offered me the 5DS I'd snatch it as ...

If your budget is there and you have the computer infrastructure (or can arrange it) - go for it!

JAH-WAR likes this.
  5. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Nothing wrong with grey imports.

Prices like that more than make up for it and as you say, it will suite your needs (or wants )

Also, did you get your motor ?

JAH-WAR likes this.
  6. JAH-WAR

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Aye, I think the one I have will cope but I’ll likely get a couple of external HD’s for storage and back ups.

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers. Yeah, the margin for error is slight as far as shake goes. All my long lenses have IS which I suppose will help a bit but I have decent tripods and a good monopod. I try to keep my ISO at no greater than 640 but hopefully a couple of stops higher on the 5Dsr will be better than both the 7d and 1div.

Thanks too Mr S. The money at the moment is not really an issue, I have a wee windfall coming soon. Although I am and have been happy with the two bodies I have, as I said they are dated and I just fancied an upgrade of sorts. I’ll still have the older cameras as backups and to take on holiday etc and of course if I need a rapid FPS.

Ha, ha. Yeah, wants more than needs but life’s for living. Speaking of which, yes I got the motor. I did put some pics up a few weeks ago. It’s awesome.

Cheers ;)

oldgeezer likes this.
  7. gaelldew

gaelldew Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Couldn't resist you doddering so and so, you will need someone to carry your tripods too.

8. JAH-WAR

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Aye well, it’ll nae be you then. You couldnae carry off a look.

9. Expo

Expo Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Well ... I got mine last week to add to my 5D III and so far am hugely impressed with it. I totally agree with previous comments about file size (50-60mb) and the issue with shake. I have mine fitted with an SD card and a CF card and use the SD for M2 .jpg (around 22mb) and RAW on the CF. I then download all the .jpg onto my computer (an iMac) and just the RAWs of the images I’m interested in processing. So far I’ve just been playing with it to get used to it but used it “properly” for an equine portrait session on Sunday and the results are impressive. The owner of the horse wants a 30 x 20 canvas of the image and I have no worries at all about being able to go that large. The handbook says it will print to A1 if you want.

I’ll stick with the 5DIII for sport, but for my portraits, landscapes and macro, as well as some work I do for the National Trust the 5DSR looks as if it will be outstanding. Having said all that, I’m yet to see a print so will reserve judgement on that point for now (but I’m not worried ..... :) .... !).

I also have 8TB of external drive fastened to my iMac for storing huge files which helps.

I’d say go for it. :)

10. JAH-WAR

Edit my images ?:
    No

Thanks Ex. Good comments.

I think the external HD is deffo the way to go.

To be honest, I’m quite surprised and pleased, I have to say, that the comments so far a pretty positive.

11. MikeB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    About the crop capabilities of the 5DSR. Yes you have a set of different aspect ratios (crop sizes) to choose from but don't expect it to produce a smaller raw file. I think it simply sets a tag that Digital Photo Professional 4 handles automatically but that Adobe simply treats as an intent to crop but doesn't delete data unless you direct it. I only used the feature to test it when new and only remember that the raw file size was unaffected. The JPEG is cropped in-camera to the selected aspect ratio.

Ha! Sooner than later.

12. gaelldew

gaelldew Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Not you Mike t'other feller. LOL.

13. Scoob100

Scoob100 Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Love my 5ds. As mentioned above, much less forgiving than other cameras I have owned and you do need some pretty high spec IT to deal with the massive file sizes but the images it produces are absolutely fantastic.

14. Andy 0

Andy 0 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Sounds a bit like the old APS system (I know, I shouldn't even mentioned that in this thread!) where the three picture modes were just encoded as a print instruction, there was no matte in the camera to adjust the aspect ratio.

As it's an SLR I guess what you see through the viewfinder remains the same, as well as what hits the sensor? I dunno though, this gear is well above my level of expertise!

15. JAH-WAR

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Ah well, the plunge has been tooko_O

16. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  17. JAH-WAR

Edit my images ?:
    No
    It’s on its way from HK apparently. :grin:

18. Minor Problem

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Is the R version the no low pass filter variation? If so the sharpness and detail should be lovely. I hope you've got great glass to get the best from it

JAH-WAR likes this.
  19. JAH-WAR

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Yes, it has the low pass cancellation.

With the exception of the Sigma 150-600C all my main long glass is L (100-400L mk1, 400 f5.6L and 500 f/4L), also got 24-105 L as a walk about. Macro I’ve the MPE 65 and a Venus 60mm, so should be ok I think.

Cheers;)

20. Minor Problem

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That should do you. No excuses accepted in that case. Just make sure your technique is up to scratch. I found I really had to up my game when I switched from the 24mp 5DII to the 36mp D800 as pixel peeping showed up my shoddy hand holding.

21. JAH-WAR

Edit my images ?:
    No

Aye, I'm sure it'll be a steep learning curve but enjoyable too.

Minor Problem likes this.
  22. JAH-WAR

Edit my images ?:
    No
    ...........or apparently not. Got an email saying it’s not in stock until tomorrow (23 May). Rather strange as I got a tracking number etc yesterday. :mad:

23. MikeB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Your 400mm f5.6L, 500mm f/4L, and the MPE 65 are best suited for the high resolution sensor. There are only a few lenses out that come close to fully supporting the resolution of the 5DSR and most of them are from Sigma and Zeiss and are prime lenses. The Canon 100mm and 135mm do as well. My EF70-200mm works fine but I gave up on the EF24-70 use primes for that range.

24. Phill104

Phill104 Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    While the 5DSR is a wonderful camera, many macro photographers prefer a crop body for a number of reasons. The FF works, but they do tend to finds that cameras like the 80D give better results for Macro. I know a few wildlife photographers that use it, or did until the 5D4 arrived on the scene. For landscape there are few bodies I can think of as good. I think you will love it for that. I look forward to seeing what you come up with once you are out enjoying your new toy.