1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Canon 6D MK2 Files

Discussion in 'Photography Chat Forum' started by Scratch, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Scratch

Scratch Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have recently bought a 6D Mk2 and tonight for the first time tried to view/ download the CR2 raw files onto my P.C. I have Lightroom 5.7.1, Photoshop Elements 13, Canons own software and the standard programs which come with Windows 10 but none of them will read the files. I also have a 7D Mk2 which works with all of them. Am I missing something?

2. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You either need a newer version of Lightroom or Elements which has the correct ACR to access the RAW files as both the versions you have are older than the camera or you need Adobe's DNG convertor to change the files in to something the older systems can understand.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

Scratch likes this.
  3. Scratch

Scratch Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Ok, thanks for the link Sean, really helpful. Will try the converter for now while I consider which way to go long term.

4. Haripaul

Haripaul Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I had to download Adobe DNG convertor for the same reason.

Scratch likes this.
  5. Phill104

Phill104 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Also with the Canon software, you can download the latest version of DPP 4 and that will also be able to work with your files.

Scratch likes this.
  6. Scratch

Scratch Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks, I will download the latest version. I was also thinking about upgrading to Photoshop Elements 19, but it doesn’t seem to get very good reviews. The obvious choice would be to get the latest version of ACR but I don't really want to pay a monthly subscription for Photoshop/ Lightroom as I don’t do much editing as I find it quite difficult.

7. Phill104

Phill104 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I used to find it really hard, but watching a few YouTube videos, tips in forums like these etc all helped and now I am becoming better. Still nowhere near the talent of most but am able to tweak an image that my taste. Just keep going and it gets easier.

Other options to try are the free GIMP, or Afinity which costs but no subscription. Or just convert to DNG using the tool already mentions.

Afinity - https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

GIMP - https://www.gimp.org/

Scratch likes this.
  8. Scratch

Scratch Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I’ve just downloaded DPP4 and it reads the files. Never used it before to import files to my pc or for editing though. Will have a play, nothing to lose.

Phill104 likes this.
  9. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The advantage of DPP4 is that it is provides Canon's interpretation of how their raw file should be read. In addition, it automatically corrects dead pixels and lens corrections as well as implements any tagged choices you made in the camera's menu. I don't particularly like its user interface but I frequently use it to convert raw files where I am unhappy with Adobe or DxO results.

DonS and Scratch like this.