1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Canon 70-200

Discussion in 'Lens Reviews Forum' started by JAH-WAR, Dec 20, 2018.

1. JAH-WAR

JAH-WAR Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II. Wow!!!!!

Just saying like;)

2. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You waiting for Santa !!

3. JAH-WAR

Edit my images ?:
    No
    No, he's been, thanks to the generosity and kindness of me to me:D;).

4. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Assuming I've read this correctly ...

Fantastic lens, isn't it? Bloomin'/bleedin'/feckin' expensive but for my line of work it's perfect and especially when the light isn't good.

I have the fairly basic f/4 lens (two of them!) as well and in fairness, in reasonable light, it produces just as good results at f/4 and narrower. When the light becomes dark or heavy overcast conditions during the day though that f/2.8 walks all over the f/4.

5. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This is not really a review now, is it?

I think you could add a few things like "why is it wow?" How about what makes it wow?

Just saying............

6. JAH-WAR

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Yeah, I know Rog, I hear you. I posted that from my mobile (cell) phone and having sausage fingers it would have taken me an age to type a full review:D.

I should have said 'Review to follow' or 'Mods please move to appropriate section.' However in my excitement I didn't.:(

Once I've used it a bit more I'll post a more in depth opinion on the lens but my initial one is just 'wow'.;)

Roger S likes this.
  7. JAH-WAR

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Right, as previously stated here's a slightly more detailed review of the lens.

Did a lot of research before I went for it. I checked out all the Canon 70-200L's, both f/4 and f/2.8 with and without IS, versions I, II and III. I also looked at some third party versions as well. That research told me the best option for me was a used f/2.8 IS II.

It's a lump of a thing, weighing something just over 3 pounds, metal construction and weather sealed (needs an equivalent body for this to be 100% tho). The AF is lightening fast and the USM motor is sooooooo smooth and near silent. Tack sharp through the range which maintains an f/2.8 from 70mm right to 200mm. The IS allegedly gives you an extra 4 stops which is fantastic (I'll take some pics tomorrow to show the difference handheld with a slow shutter speed, with and without IS. The difference really is staggering).

It's not a cheap lens by any means but there are one or two bargains to be had. Most used ones I looked at (apart from ebay) were between a grand and 1,400 quid, dependent of condition.

The one I went for was from Camera Jungle (Jessops' second hand division) and graded as excellent. On receipt I can confirm it is in just about new condition. They had an extra 10% off their list price of 1,031 pounds which means I paid about 933 inc P+P. Result!!!!

My advice is if you are a Canon user and you are considering a 70-200 zoom, please have a right look at this lens it is nothing short of stunning.

Here's a few examples with the lens on the 5Dsr body. Bear in mind the compression for the Forum does not give a great rendition of the iq and detail retention but you'll get the idea or you can view them on Flickr. The subject matter ain't too interesting but I went for something that had a bit of movement and detail in it to show the capabilities of the lens albeit it is very early days for me and these are the first shots I've taken in earnest with it.

None of the images are sharpened just a couple of minor tweeks in LR and a crop and file size reduction in Elements.

Original (yes, that's the Stang in the background, with my old mother in it:D):
    [​IMG]

How I'd crop it if I was posting just the picture:

[​IMG]

....and a crop right in:

[​IMG]

This lens wouldn't be my go to for wild life, I'd use the 150-600 or 500 f/4L but as you can see here, it does a pretty decent job for a lens that's half the length as I'd normally use.

Original:

[​IMG]

Crop:

[​IMG]

Haripaul, al1967 and Roger S like this.
  8. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Well written, JAH. It's no wonder you're in love with the lens.

JAH-WAR likes this.
  9. Phill104

Phill104 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Fantastic lens. Had 2 at one point (don’t ask) but ended up selling both. Not because it was not a fantastic lens, just because I was lugging it around for ages but not using it. Once I had the 100-400II I just stopped using the 70-200. I do miss it, it was magnificent. Everything Jah says is spot on.

JAH-WAR likes this.
  10. JAH-WAR

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Thanks Rog, it seems to live up to it's reputation and some.

Makes a change for me:D

Roger S likes this.
  11. Haripaul

Haripaul Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Amazing lens, enjoy it.

12. JAH-WAR

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Just a very quick test with IS off and then on. Both taken (in my living room) 200mm, @ f/2.8, ISO 200, SS 1/20 from about 7 feet away and no flash. Absolutely no PP has been done, only converted from RAW to JPEG.

I tried my damnest to get a steady picture with the IS off, braced my self, held my breath etc but after several attempts, as you'd expect with a focal length of 200mm at 1/20 it's near impossible. With the IS on however, while not perfect, the difference is quite staggering.

Light test-1.jpg

Light test-2.jpg

Haripaul and wraggtime like this.
  13. Pteranadon

Pteranadon Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Something I would not be interested in..(the lens) however I am impressed with the IS and the outcome of the overcast shots.

14. RickyMidnight

RickyMidnight Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    I want one!

JAH-WAR likes this.
  15. JAH-WAR

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Get one!

16. RickyMidnight

RickyMidnight Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    A little out of my price for now, but soon

JAH-WAR likes this.
  17. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That's the one I have. Return to post #1 - Wow!! :)

Brilliant lens, isn't it?! Must admit I've not tried the stabilising tests - impressive. What I like best is the results at 200mm with a minimal DoF totally isolating the subject - not yet learned the distances involved 100% accurately but when it works it's wonderful.

For those who feel this is out of their budget, the f/4 70-200mm is a really good buy too. In low light the f/2.8 blows the f/4 out of the water but when light is pretty good the f/4 is great value for money and both lenses in good light are indistinguishable at around f/8.

If the budget can stretch, get this f/2.8 IS II - I know it depends on what one photographs but for me it provides around 90% of my photographs.

Haripaul and JAH-WAR like this.
  18. JAH-WAR

Edit my images ?:
    No

With this I concur:)

Snips likes this.