1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Canon 80D replacement alternative? (LP-E6N)

Discussion in 'Photography & Camera Basics Forum' started by Lee Neale, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Lee Neale

Lee Neale Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hello there, I'm looking for any information on replacement batteries for the Canon 80D. I've looked at Canon's own but they are a little out of my league at the moment. Be interested to know what others are using, and which are the best at holding the charge. Lee :)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  2. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    One thing to consider is that not all third party batteries will be chipped and coded. That means they may not work or they may not show how much battery is left. For my 760D(Rebel T6s) I finally found chipped ones may be PowerExtra. A lot of people will warn against non-OEM batteries but if you get a decent brand you should be ok. Mine replacements cannot be charged in the Canon charger, I need to use theirs, but theirs will also charge the Canon batteries.

3. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I once knew a guy who wanted to use cheaper batteries for his defibrillator...

Your camera costs between $700 and $1000 USD, the Canon battery costs $65 and will last 4-8 years with proper care. I still use the battery that came with my 7D and its fine. The difference between a less expensive battery and the Canon brand ranges from $25 to $40 - it is that amount of money that is in play when discussing getting something cheaper than the Canon brand.

So here's the thing about 3rd party batteries. If you are not careful regarding the brand you buy and who you buy it from, you can get a nasty surprise.

Those who are aware of the problems, carefully select the brand and vendor, and monitor whether it is performing properly can do whatever they want. It is their camera, they are big boys and girls and can made whatever wise or unwise choice they want.

I only recommend buying the manufacturer's batteries from trusted sources. Trying to explain the nuances of eBay, Amazon, or no-name brands, or ridicously low prices to a new camera owner who is trying to save a few bucks without understanding the risks only seems to confuse them - all they hear is "blah, blah, blah, there are cheaper batteries."

There are several companies that I would trust to actually manage their supply chain to ensure that the product they sell is safe for my cameras. However, the cost difference is negligible given the risks involved. Maybe it is because I am more risk averse than others, getting too old to screw around trying to chase a few dollars here and there, or I believe in the "in for a penny, in for a pound" philosophy - I bought an expensive camera, buy the damn battery specifically designed for it.

I also only use the manufacturer's oil filter for my car - so, yes I am quite conservative and risk averse.

Oh, there are many testimonials by photographers who use cheap batteries. Anecdotal experiences of nothing bad happening is useless when it is you taking the risk.

4. Geeman

Geeman Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    No
    I have a couple of canon Lp-E6N and a couple of these BAXXTAR PRO-ENERGY Battery for Canon LP-E6N (2040mAh) with Chip technology - Intelligent battery system https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GPUNYE2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_tFpmBb671YTMS no difference, had the latter for over 2 years, charge in canon charger and camera reads them for the battery readout.... absolutely no difference in my experience

5. Andy 0

Andy 0 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    There is a safety concern when using unknown lithium technology batteries.

If this was Ni-HM I'd just tell you to buy whatever on the proviso the technology is stable and little disaster occurs when these cells are mishandled; the absolute reverse of lithium cell technology.

I've made a YouTube video which is currently in editing about my experiences with cheap battery chargers and cells, I have also designed charging circuits for quazi-commercial products so I feel I'm reasonably well qualified to talk about this.

Lithium cells are a wonder, the modern world simply could not function without them but this comes are several costs, the most notable one being their propensity to ignite or explode if they're mischarged or the batteries are unbalanced.

Charging of lithium cells must be exquisitely controlled, the tolerance of a maximum for Constant-Voltage charing is 1% (of 4.1V or 4.2V varying exactly between the exact flavour of lithium cell) much variance and explosion is a credible risk.

Cells that are 'chipped' usually incorporate a fail safe circuit that will for all intents and purposes 'fuse' a battery or cell if it thinks it has had an over-voltage incident rendering it permanently dead and similarly cut the battery out 'hard' if the cell reaches the determined stable minimum voltage (this is reversible by charging.)

The 'T' terminal often marked on batteries is for a thermistor to feed back to the charger cutting the charge current if the logic feels the battery is reaching a critical temperature, again In the same of safety.

These vital features are often missing on cheaply manufactured pattern cells and batteries.

A Canon charger will ignore any battery with no temperature feedback.

I've used great third party cells (camera manufacturers don't 'roll their own' . . ) and there's nothing wrong with a good deal of them, but you pays your money.

The other obfuscation is that supply chain contamination is rife in electronics and I dare say not every battery ever sold by a Canon dealer is 'genuine' (take that to mean as you will) through subterfuge through various intermediate partners between factory and consumer. The same goes for car parts Mike, just to put you on edge.

Be careful.

Just as another story I purchased a counterfeit book from a large and prestigious retailer. Of little consequence but this was a very 'hard' engineering book containing tables of safety critical calculations for power installations; a dispute with a colleague over the current handling characteristics of an installation led me to realise I was using dangerously faulty data that could have endangered lives.

I still have it! The retailer explored this and found that during shipment a large number of books had been swapped in transit for clones, they were about 90% accurate and identical otherwise from genuine copies of a very expensive textbook.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    davcoll, Mike Singh and MikeB like this.
  6. AlfandBen

AlfandBen Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)

+1 on this. I have 3 of the BAXXTAR PRO ENERGY batteries and so for no problems at all.

7. Phill104

Phill104 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Whenever I have discussed this on other forums I have had a lot of negativity. Many people say "I've used brand x for years so it must be OK". They get very defensive of their purchases and almost take any negative comments like an attack on their children. Many also and probably rightly feel OEM batteries are overpriced, and in some cases they are correct.

Given all the negativity I have experienced I will get my credentials and experience out of the way first, to save being questioned later. First, I studied electronics and physics but somehow ended up in IT for the last 20 years. However in that time my interest in electronics took me in all sorts of directions including testing items after failure and any potential litigation that could ensue. I have also been to departments setup by some large retailers that test almost every item they sell to protect their company from litigation or loss of reputation. A couple of years ago I was chatting to an ex colleague who was investigating, for trading standards, some cases of failed batteries one of which had caused some quite severe injuries, another a fire. It sparked my interest in the subject. This has resulted in a long journey of me being involved in testing of numerous third party batteries and chargers. Last year as a result of things I had written I was contacted by someone who is working on their doctorate in battery technology and have been dragged in deeper as a result. The different chemistry that is currently being researched is astonishing. Designing the right cells for specific uses is a massive and fascinating subject, but that is going off topic.

As a result of all this I have seen some truly dangerous batteries and chargers. The worst have been ebay specials. One was a case with recycled cells soldered in place protected by nothing but a resistor. On the charger front one brand was simply a capacitive dropper pumping the charge directly to the pins, not only a high risk for exploding batteries but exposed pins potentially at mains voltage. It is insane just how many dangerous products are reaching our shores. There are also plenty of fakes being sold through various retailers unbeknown to them. The big brands do all they can, but these fakes still get through. In many cases you end up paying full price for a fake unit, and then take a huge risk when you charge it. There are also cells that have been stuffed to their limit and if they heat up can expand in your camera causing damage there too.

I fully agree with everything Andy 0 has written above, he is spot on. Modern cells are amazing, but we really are sitting on a potential time bomb. I currently in my bag have a laptop, iPhone and an 11200mAh Juice USB battery. The amount of energy packed into these it more than enough to kill, yet we trust it as they are good quality products with lots of protection built in. The big companies that make them spend huge amounts to make sure they are reliable. Not all third party companies do, and some are just reckless. So do as Andy 0 says and do your research. Only buy from dealers and brands that you can trust, and brands that have the resources and reputation to help should the worst happen. Even the best get it wrong at times, such a Samsung, but they dealt with the problems and learnt from their mistake.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  8. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Had an interesting one today. A friend bought me his battery charger, a third party unit for his Nikon D500 batteries. It was purchased through a well known online store who lets third parties sell stuff via there marketplace. It came with two batteries and the charger would work via USB or mains. It was plugged in on his worktop with no battery in it as he had taken it in a rush. Sat in a different room he heard a scream and a crash. His son had leant on the charger and received a mains shock from the battery pins. Quite concerned he asked me to take a look. I measured the pins and indeed there is a full short direct to mains. I have not opened it as he is contacting both the seller and trading standards. Yes, it was a cheaper unit but this should not happen with modern electronics. It has also prompted him to get his old fuse box replaced with a proper consumer unit.

His son is fine, but was shaken up.

Mike Singh likes this.
  9. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Having read the above posts I am both shocked and sparked! I will be sticking with my Canon batteries.

Phill104 likes this.
  10. Derekl

Derekl Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have used Hanel batteries in my 70D and 7dMk2 with no problems. So not all 3rd party ones are bad.

11. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi Derek
    Yes they are good. However, there have been issues reported with these as well.

12. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    We heard back from various people on Saturday regarding the charger. First, the retailer has withdrawn it from sale. Seems my friend was not the first to experience this problem, in fact quite a few people have told trading standards of similar. We have been told the situation is very awkward. On one hand they want to protect the British public, on the other careful consideration has to be made so to not affect trade from the many good overseas suppliers. It sounds like a difficult tightrope to walk, products currently are investigated on a case by case basis with many items stopped before the get past customs. While the letter was probably a generic missive, tweaked for this case, it is reassuring action does get taken when things are reported.

Mike Singh likes this.
  13. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Anecdotal experience of a problem not happening is not useful and gives others a false sense of assurance that all will be well.

While no one is saying that only the manufacture-supplied batteries should be used, overall experience shows that these batteries cause the fewest problems for users overall.

On the other hand there is a wealth of accumulated experience with trying to buy the cheapest batteries and having significant issues from counterfeit products to inferior products to dangerous products.

While I have greater confidence with some brand names such as Duracell, Watson, and a few others, it is often where you buy the batteries that creates the risk. Trusted sources (such as B&H Photo and Adorama for me) do a better job managing their supply chains than other providers. Counterfeit products are big business and the companies that produce them are always trying to introduce them into legitimate supply chains. The people most at risk are the ones looking for big savings.

Mike Singh likes this.
  14. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That can be used as a blanket statement for anything. I know a few people who will only buy the cheapest of anything and they are always complaining about the how everything today is junk.

MikeB and Mike Singh like this.
  15. Derekl

Derekl Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hanel batteries are not that cheap just cheaper than Canon branded ones. I have used these in my 70D and lately in my 7DMk2. I will say that I had one that did fail earlier than expected. This was replaced with no issues they even arranged collection from the Manchester branch of LCE even though I got the battery on Amazon.
    Do not rule out 3rd party batteries some are as good as the vastly overpriced camera branded ones. (I suspect some are the same without the badge)

16. Andy 0

Andy 0 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Undoubtedly there is much re branding, I doubt even Canon have a single source, the supply chain on lithium cells can be a bit temperamental as I understand it.

If you're really uncertain, buy OE batteries from an agent for whichever brand, otherwise stick with a known brand, otherwise it's a Wild West.

There are fantastic off-brand batteries, there are some awful ones.

There are some equally awful ones branded as OE.

No clearer really, ya pays ya money as the saying goes. There's more then enough margin in these battery packs to make them worth counterfeiting.

Derekl likes this.