1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Canon AE- 1 camera

Discussion in 'Film and Vintage Forum' started by Jessica Akins, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Jessica Akins

Jessica Akins New Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I purchased this old vintage film camera years ago and have had it packed away, recently unpacked it and was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about it?

I'm not usually a film shooter, strictly digital but I also have a collection of old vintage Polaroid cameras still in working condition, just need to buy some film and will be good to go with them.

2. Ozzie_Traveller

Ozzie_Traveller Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    G'day Jessica

I'm sure that someone here who had one of these years ago will soon answer your Q

Regardless of its name - being an old camera you might want to confirm that the basics are working okay ... wind on the shutter mechanism and with the camera back open, fire the shutter 100 or so times at varying speeds and look at its operation for consistency and general performance

Dr google will advise you as to battery types suitable for the metering side of things

Hope this helps
    Phil

3. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi Jessica and WELCOME to the forum.

Phil above has pretty much spelled it out. The AE-1 was a great camera and is still a welcome addition addition to anyone's kit who is interested in film photography. As Phil indicated, open the back and give it a good looking over then trip the shutter quite a few times while looking through to the lens, checking to see that you see light on the other side. If all looks good then stick a roll of film through it. That will indicate whether the lens and shutter are OK as well as telling you if there are any light leaks in the seals.

4. i.candide

i.candide Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  5. Tom Knoebel

Tom Knoebel New Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Jessica,
    Wondering if you have tried out your AE-1 yet. Is it a program model. You may need a handheld meter for the builtin could be faulty by now.
    You can test it by comparing the meter read to a digital camera reading or a meter phone app. Get a roll of T-Max 100 and just try it out.
    Lots of service and parts available for these rigs. My go to camera since 1985. Here are some resent shots.
    https://www.photography-forum.org/threads/florida-southern-college.153749/#post-1869049
    Tom

6. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I love and still use my Canon AE-1 camera, in fact I just bought a few new attachments and lenses because they where so affordable :)